Hey Guys,
I am interested in web development but i am confused in which platform to choose, Java or .NET.
I have done core java but i got to know from somewhere that Java is basically for software development and DotNet is specifically for web development but Java can be used to develop web applications.
Please help me, I am seriously confused.
Which is one better???

Recommended Answers

All 25 Replies

For web development , dotNet is the best.....
Java is heavily used throughout the industry. It is now open source so does not depend on Sun alone anymore.
Advantage of Java is that it can run anywhere while Microsoft stuff only runs on MS systems.

Well to clarify a bit, both of those languages have the capability of being used as web development languages but neither were made specifically for that purpose. .NET itself is a framework, ASP.NET is the web language in the framework.

The problem lies in the fact that you already know .NET stuff and will have to go through the learning curve of Java. But Java can do anything you did with .
The expense of moving to Java is only in time and any money spent would be minuscule to what you pay for MS licenses.

For web development , dotNet is the best.....

Disagree, JAVA FOR THE WIN ! ! !

It is now open source so does not depend on Sun alone anymore.

It was always open source as that was the idea for whole time unlike Microsoft products that are still very expensive even thou they provide you these days with some "express" editions

Advantage of Java is that it can run anywhere while Microsoft stuff only runs on MS systems.

Larger community support, plenty of things for free ;) , I like security of Java and I also see Java sites running faster as most of .NET website which are poorly programmed.

yaa...
Java is java..
i agree with you...

Since you are familiar with Java, I suggest you should go with Java. Different people prefers different languages.

I agree with others saying that Java is widely used. Since it's free and no license required, there is no additional cost for it. I would go for Java and use the licenses' costs for other purposes.

Anuj,
You're right, .Net is used more for web applications development as compared to Java which is used for enterprise server based application development. Moreover if you're not already experienced in Java for at least 3 years, it is now difficult to get a Java job (talking about India). On the other hand you have a much better chance to land a .Net job as a newcomer. So I would suggest you don't look left or right and go straight for .Net

hey Daivik,
Thnx for the reply. What do you mean by saying that if i dont have 3 yrs experience in java i wont be able to get a job easily.
Does DotNet have more market value than Java ???
What I've heard is that java is in more demand and also it is less frustrating than DotNet.
Please clear me in this coz m currently in 3rd year doing Computer Engineering and i want to have a clear vision of this topic(Java or DotNet).

hey dude u must go with java...
it is best language than the other (i.e .net). and bcause of simplicity and already frames of .net most of the people r goes with .net so there was large compition of jobs..
java r portable language and most of the industry are usig it for developing softwares thatswhy oportunities of jobs automatically increases....
so go with java.
-PRAMOD.

i will suggest you .NET.

Net. Framework for many different languages, including some very strange Java.Net implementations is. If you have any language that best. NET Framework will use to develop friendly are particular about - then you might think that being C # language. C # is very similar to Java and sentence in their own language how to manage the load / virtual machine environment.

If you are planning for JOB then JAVA...if you want to learn for self the whichever is easier ;)

I'll suggest JAVA...

Well, first, Java is definitely for web apps not just software applications. What keeps you from using both? They are both well suited for different uses.

Haven't used .net but seriously man with java u can do anything and everything.
Only question is Whether .net is interpreter driven or compiler driven language?

I am sure .net is a framework, With JAVA its compiler driven. So you have to copile the code first and then deploy it to make it run on a webserver.

Like PHP is an interpreter driven language. You only need to write the code and boom you are ready to go, no compilation, no deployment. So now you need to find out whether .net needs to be compiled or not???

P.S: I have not worked on .NET :)

The real question comes down to what do you plan to do? Web development covers quite a bit.

The .NET framework, like the Java platform, is designed to make applications and/or applets that will run under any platform. The difference.... Java's virtual machine has been implemented under almost every platform out there. The .NET virtual machine, although designed to be cross-platform, has only been implmeneted uner Windows. So compatibility can be an issue if you are planning on web development that includes utilities and applets that run on the client's machine.

If you're intent is to add functionality directly on your web pages then either will do. Java comes in two flavors for this type of thing.... Java and JavaScript. Java will create applications that can be run from you web site on the client's computer (assuming they have the virtual machine installed). JavaScript is embedded directly in your ewb site enhancing the HTML you use. Think of it like this: a web site has an icon that when clicked, launches a game that I play on my computer. A separate window (not a browser window) may open for the game environment and play begins. This would be a Java applet.
For Javascript, think in terms of the things you have seen web sites do such as mail forms, utilities built directly onto the web page or neat little tricks a page might do like determining where you are, your address and things like that. This would be JavaScript.

The .NET framework would work along the lines of the Java example. Most people have Windows but not EVERYONE. So compatibility may be an issue. Java compatibility is only issue if the client has not installed the Java platform but they can do so regardless of their operating system. .NET, on the other hand, will not have an issue if your "enhancement" is run server side since you only need ensure that the server is a Windows based server.

So, it comes down to this : You need to decide what your web development will include before you can decide on the platform you wish to use

Terry

Hey Guys,
I am interested in web development but i am confused in which platform to choose, Java or .NET.
I have done core java but i got to know from somewhere that Java is basically for software development and DotNet is specifically for web development but Java can be used to develop web applications.
Please help me, I am seriously confused.
Which is one better???

sir m comlited my 5 sem MCA.and want to do project for my 6 sem project. i have few knowlge of java ,java is one of the subject of my academics otherwise i heart abt C#, i think dot is very essay and i hve fear abt java also. now i m confused which is best for my mca 6 sem industrial project????

sir m comlited my 5 sem MCA.and want to do project for my 6 sem project. i have few knowlge of java ,java is one of the subject of my academics otherwise i heart abt C#, i think dot is very essay and i hve fear abt java also. now i m confused which is best for my mca 6 sem industrial project????

@nikhils
I am working as a software professional for over 3 years now and have observed the market is very good for JAVA but not .NET. There are limited places where .NET is used. It also depends on your interest, JAVA is a very extensive language and believe me, the more you learn the more you enjoy. With .NET I haven't worked at all.

I have worked in PHP also and I enjoy working on PHP more than I do on JAVA, though PHP is not that extensively used industry-wise. Learning never goes in vain. If you want to learn .NET go ahead with it.

Since you already know JAVA, you will get to learn .NET also. One more weapon in your armory ;)

I worked 1 year in .Net (C#) and I must say it was easy and you can make applications really fast but
that language has to many withdraws ... I have 7 years of experience now a
and I am so happy I've quit .Net because Java is really fun !!! :-) It was a bumpy ride and it sometimes
still is, but we're getting there ;)

In Java you take what you need, and in .Net you get what you don't need ! Hope you understand me :) hehe ..

I'll try to explain..

Java aims more on interoperability where .Net aims are comfort and user friendlyness...
If you really want to understand what goes behind the screens, then go for Java because the capabilities
that you have with that language are amazing and endless... A lot of high-end scalable application are built
with Java SE/EE because of their stability, extendability and adaptablility !

For me this are big advantages of Java:
- open source (RESPECT !!! without the Open-Source community, I would have to pay myself blue of licenses!!! ) :D
- platform independent (works on every platform/OS) where .Net only works on Windows platform
- persistence API and their implementations are incredible in Java where .Net is a lot behind
- other frameworks (cool frameworks like Spring, Hibernate, Camel and SOOO MANY OTHER :D really insane !)
- Java has in general small editors (150mb - 500mb) and you only add what you need to keep it compact,
where .Net Visual Studio is like 5gb - 10 GB or more where you only use 5 % of
- cool mascotte (DUKE RULES !!!) :D
- Java is not very interactive with OS register, where Visual Studio and .Net applications are. If you install
Eclipse for instance, there will be nothing added to register so your PC will keep running smooth ! If you want
to delete Eclipse, just delete directory and done ! Try to uninstall Visual Studio ... taking very long, zzzzz...
- application servers are way better in Java, even Apache Tomcat is better then that IIS server :D hah...
- better market I think (not sure of that), but I think more Java projects are in need then .Net (just a feeling I have)
- debugging is nice in Java :)
- Java is more test aware then .Net
- Java has some cool embedded stuff (Java ME) and Java also has nice sound API ! (javax.midi and javax.sound) + JMF framework
- Maven rocks ! :-)
- kick-ass community ! Love it ! The Java community is becoming very big and it will become even bigger ! ;D

The disadvantage of Java is that some times it's hard to make something and you can be stuck for days or even weeks...
but on the end you really enjoy it when you found what the problem was ... It enriches you mind in a way
that it's addictive :) Java applications can have memory leaks very quickly if you don't know what you're doing,
so if you don't feel like it, then go for .Net but the ride won't be as fun :D

Hope you can make up your mind ! :)

Greetings from Belgium,

Sikke303
Java Fr34k :D

I am so happy I've quit .Net because Java is really fun !!! :-)

I'm happy that you're happy, but it's obvious that most of your bullet points for why Java is better are heavily opinionated to the point of propaganda. Some are off topic (eg. Tomcat being "better" than IIS), correspond to points that could be made equally for .NET (eg. "cool embedded stuff" and a "nice sound API"), or are just completely irrelevant (a cool mascot?). Even the ones that are legitimate reek of bias.

A proper comparison should be completely objective. The person doing the comparison should focus on specific needs (because obviously these two general solutions won't apply equally in all cases), and should be an expert in both so as not to skew the comparison with ignorance. Anything else just ends up being "I like XYZ, so you should like it too".

You are a really boring dude :-) And I bet you're a .Net programmer because I feel you are attacked at some point.. ;D get over it ! If a person gave a comment about why he loves .Net, why not, I wouldn't care !! But I am more down-to-earth then you appearantly :)

People always have to whine and say things back ... so funny :D Like I care what you think ??? Indeed some bulletpoints were totally irrelevant, even a child of 2 years could have seen that, good for you ! :) haha...

but I gave also other points that were valuable.. :) to bad you don't see that ...

anyway enough said ! peace dude

commented: Childish response +0

@deceptikon

I would like to read your opinion on comparison of java and .net because your posts makes sense always, and ya I am learning .net(vb.net specifically). It's not that I don't want to learn java but if career in .net is not bad option then chances of learning java will decrease by 10%

@deceptikon
I would like to read your opinion on comparison of java and .net

I'm not confident that I could provide a good comparison, even if you offered specific scenarios. My expertise in .NET is a full revision behind and my knowledge of Java is even more outdated.

if career in .net is not bad option then chances of learning java will decrease by 10%

Having at least a basic understanding of both would be the ideal situation, but both Java based development and .NET based development are viable career paths.

Having at least a basic understanding of both would be the ideal situation

considered!! thanks for the reply

I am BE in EXTC 2013 passout...currently am persuing training i have completed my C an oracle module.Now i have to choose between java and .net.kindly suggest which track will suit my profile and will lend a better job to me after i complete my training.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.