The SCO Group Inc.'s Web site has once again been attacked, but this time hackers didn't just target the site for a distributed-denial-of-service attack—they defaced the Web site itself.

[img]http://www.go4i.net/images/news/sco1.jpg[/img]

The site was altered in at least two ways sometime during the Thanksgiving weekend. The most obvious attack was on SCO's home page, where a banner image for SCO Web seminars has been replaced with a JPEG image that says, "We own all your code. Pay us all your money." In the background, a woman appears to be writing "realloc(," a common C language function used to change the size of a memory block. The image was still on the site at the time this report was written.

More Info , with screenshots : Click Here

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I confirm this hack sighting - saw it on the SCO site this morning myself. I must say I'm mildly amused...

This is kind of funny, and all, but what kind of light does this portray "The Linux Community" in?

I mean, first we're shown as a bunch of geeky hobbyists, but now we're going to be shown as some c00l d00dzers who are fighting against a big meanie corporation. I'd prefer if we just stayed civil, and stood our ground, rather than having losers doing stuff like this, funny or not.

Yeah, I'm really only mildly amused - as I said before. I wouldn't support this happening again.

quote right Alex, but that cracker mentality is exactly what a lot of the hardcare linux people have.
They're religious zealots, and I use that term deliberately.
To them terrorism against their enemies is seen as just and right, everything is allowed (even to be praised) in the fight against Big Corporations.
If you've ever looked at /. discussions you'll see that clearly, everyone who is opposed to that attitude is believed to work for Microsoft (which they of course don't spell out in fear their keyboards will explode) or the CIA.

quote right Alex, but that cracker mentality is exactly what a lot of the hardcare linux people have.
They're religious zealots, and I use that term deliberately.
To them terrorism against their enemies is seen as just and right, everything is allowed (even to be praised) in the fight against Big Corporations.
If you've ever looked at /. discussions you'll see that clearly, everyone who is opposed to that attitude is believed to work for Microsoft (which they of course don't spell out in fear their keyboards will explode) or the CIA.

Personally, I can't lie and say that I wasn't like that at some point. Now, I love Linux/BSD, but now I'm more "mature"-- in fact, I probably use Microsoft products more than F/OSS now. (But, I get them for free because of my job, so that might be a motivation, too...)

But, this type of stuff is extremism to an extent, or supreme lameness, or both, take your pick. There's polarity on each side, I guess, but since the perception is that the Open Source community isn't some giant, money-funded juggernaut, but a bunch of grungy hippy anarchists, people don't put it past "the community proper" to do things like this.

That's why I'm not too keen on the fact that Lunix is getting more and more popular. We're undergoing growing pains right now where we've got a bunch of 14m3r5 who would like nothing better than to bring down some "big communist corporation" (yeah, I've heard that said exactly) in the name of them trying to keep the 14m3r5 from leeching all of the free crap they want to get.

This is kind of funny, and all, but what kind of light does this portray "The Linux Community" in?

Whatever the moral view, be it good, bad or plain evil, the simple answer to that is 'powerful, aware, and not to be ignored or taken lightly'.

The simple fact these DDoS attacks originated from MyDoom infected Windows machines indicates it isnt just Linux aware users, and also highlights, yet again, Windows vulnerabilities and shows the operating system to be a simple toy for these people to play with.

No, it shows yet again that a large number of computer users don't care to keep their operating systems (whichever they may be) up to date with the latest security updates and will run with full privileges even while not knowing what they are doing.

These same people also blithfully unaware click on email attachments from people saying "I love you" whom they never heard from, fill in webpages with personal information on request from eBay (well...) when they've never used eBay, etc. etc.

As to criminal intent of hardcore Linux users: I never got more virus emails, phishing scams, and other nasties sent to my mailbox than during a short interval I was subscribed to a Linux newbie mailing list, the mail coming through the mailing list...

Hello All,
I am new here and this seems like a great site and this thread seems a good place to express some personal views...

I have to disagree with jwenting...
No one will ever patch all of the holes in Windozs code, there will never be enough updates to fix it. You will NEVER educate the public at large...

As to the criminal intent of hardcore Linux users... I have to laugh...
Criminals will use any avenue open to them and seek out the uninformed...
Try subscribing to a Windoze Newbie Mailing List... Ha Ha...

Good people are trying to make a better world for everyone...
Some people will take and modify that code in an attempt to make money...

Others will continue to use and abuse the work of Microshaft...For Free...

The world needs a free, simple, useable GUI OS.
I do not mean to say that all of the apps and games for it should be free...

There will be growing pains, legal challenges (from Microsoft)...
Attempts to make laws to limit, restrict or modify it...
Attempts to force it to include encrypted code for national security (Theirs not ours)

No billion dollar business will go down without a fight...

I took early retirement from a Fortune 500 Company (I declined an offer from Microshaft back in '92), I intend to spend my time helping others and supporting the development of a free alternative to Windoze...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.