Hi folks, I'm jevvv from EnZed (more commonly known as NZ or New Zealand)

I've been on a computer for the last 13 years, but have only just started looking a building a website... yeah slow!

I live in a 4 person/1 income household and am running Windows 98SE on my own computer and having to nurse along the other-half's WinME.... and I know which I prefer ;)

Don't even bother to tell me to upgrade- You think I don't want to???? That won't be happening unless someone donates a decent setup to us :)

I found this site and forums while trying to find out how to use CSS templates for a website... I know it is better to code it yourself, but I havent' even got that far.

My question: If I have a template I like- how do I use it? I know it is a beginners quesion, but hey- I'm a beginner :D

Looking forward to getting to know you all, and learning lots!

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

hahaha. you could always try and see if you could get windows 2000 pro cheap somewhere.

2000 is almost identical to xp, except a bit older. Runs a lot more stuff than 98 or ME can and has better hardware support and is more secure. 256mb to 384mb and a 600-1ghz cpu will run it fine for day to day stuff

to use a CSS template you must put a reference to it in the HEAD section of your HTML.

Thanks J

Yep, that's the recommendation I've had from others- to see if I can get Win 2000 pro .... so I guess I should stop buying coffee for a while, so I can buy it ;)

That is EXACTLY the info I needed- it is so basic that no one mentions it :)

So any tips or links on how to get started at this level? :)

yeah here is some code

basically make your .css template, and put it in the same folder as your .html or .html pages

your html pages will say something like (this is just a very very basic page)

<html>

<head>
<title>Test Page</title>
[B]<link href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />[/B]
</head>

<body>
<p> blah blah blah </p>
</body>

</html>

Hi welcome to Daniweb! Wow, you are still using Win 98SE and Win Me? That's so antique.....Win Me is one of the most problematic OS I have used, the other one happens to be Win Vista.

Hi welcome to Daniweb! Wow, you are still using Win 98SE and Win Me? That's so antique.....Win Me is one of the most problematic OS I have used, the other one happens to be Win Vista.

Yup- that's me- the antique, and totally self taught... first used a computer in 1995, bought one in 1996 (the Win 95 in the spare room, which still works) and have only needed paid technical intervention 3 times since then ;)

So until I find a way to earn some money from home, at no cost, in no time then I'm stuck with antique computers.

I agree... WinME is on OtherHalf's laptop and I really don't like it- Win98SE is SOOO much more stable even if older.

UPDATE: I now have a nice new computer, built for me with WinVISTA sp1 and hubby no longer has the WinME, but a laptop version of mine ;)

Am loving my wide screen monitor etc, but still check things on the old Win98SE to see if they work ;)

WELCOME
Nice to meet you.Hope you enjoy your stay here .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.