I have recently been asked by friends to install a new OS on a laptop they recently purchased on the internet. In both cases, the OS was Windows XP (a legitimate copy with OEM registration numbers). One was an older Toshiba Protege 7020ct, Pentium II, with 128 MB ram, the other is a Dell Latitude D600, Pentium (?) 1.6 GHz, with 512 MB ram. The OS was apparently installed OK, and in Device Manager, the drivers appear to be OK, but there is NO sound, NO connectivity to the internet. I know I'm dumb as a brick, but I can't figure this one out.
Help!!!!!!
OhldarTheElder

PS: I went to school for a full year as a full-time student at a local technical institute because I wanted to understand, at the age of 60, computers. I maintained a 4.0 grade point average with a lot of support from the "kids" in the class who grew up with computers between their teeth, like silver spoons, and still couldn't get a job in the industry because of my age. (I know that is supposed to be illegal, but what the hell....life isn't always fair.) So, for the last 8 years, yeah, I'm 68, I have been working on and repairing a lot (A LOT) of computers for my family and friends. So, running into a situation like this is very frustrating. Us Ol' Farts get frustrated easily.
Larry (OhldarTheElder)

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Well Larry, this old dumb monkey learned that when you install a "new" OS by the time you install it, it is not new anymore, as it requires you to update it immediately with the newest and most critical updates and patches from Microsoft update site. Then, it is also advisable to update the drivers also to the newest ones available from the computers manufacturers site, even if it shows as OK in device manager. It may be that in your case there are sound and connectivity drivers short?

Congratulations on your 4.0 grade point average!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.