So. Today i had this though. What is one dollar times two dollars.
Instantly the thought sprang to mind that it would be two dollars right? Becuase 1 x 2 = 2. But then i though wait. What about the dollar sign?
That means that this has become algebra! So then i thought this:
1x2 = 2 AND $x$ = $Squared
So the answer would be
two dollars squared.
But i was wondering what people think about that. Is i correct? And if so, how would you write two dollars squared because squaring a dollar sign just sounds a tad odd.
Oh well, just thoughts would be fun. What do you rekon it should equal?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

it wouldnt work anyway because to a computer, $ signifies a string value not an integer

commented: =P +4

No not necessarily on a computer. I know a computer wouldn't do it, but what about maths, or just hypothetically. :)

Even hypothetically you'd need to assign some sort of value for the $. Asking for the value of $(squared) is like asking what is the value of a(squared)
The $ is more like a definition symbol rather than a unit of measurement.
Now it has me wondering what 1% * 2% equals? 2%(squared)

Well a percent sign means x/100 dosent it? So that sum would be
1/100 * 2/100 = 2/10000
So pretty much 2%(squared) as well. Well that one is easier then the dollar sign. :)

But with the dollar sign couldn't you do algebra with that? Just pretend that the dollar sign is just a fancy looking x?

Ok, the % was a bad analogy.

You could do algebra with the dollar sign but without some sort of a value it would be a meaningless calculation.
I supposed it might be interesting to try assigning currency conversion values to the $ and see what you come up with.
What CAD(squared) would be in USD.

Something times something else mathematically always depends on what the word "times" means and the units involved. Multiplying money is problematic because:

$1 = 100 cents
$2 = 200 cents

So if $1 x $2 = $2 and 100 cents x 200 cents = 20,000 cents = $200, we have a problem since $2 does not equal $200. So I guess you'd have to have some unit called "dollar squared" and "cent squared", which probably don't make sense.

The reason that that's not a probem with 1 ft x 1 ft compared to 12 in. x 12 in., is that we have concepts of what a square foot is and what a square inch is. We have no concept of a square dollar or a square cent, so I'd say that multiplication of money is meaningless and undefined until you have concepts of "dollar squared" and "cent squared". Hence you can't multiply one dollar times two dollars.

a square centimeter is defined as a unit of area which is the area o a square having all its sides of measure 1 cm. the area of a square is the product of its side by itself. so the square cm represents an area, but what does a square dollar represent?

Yeah good point. Maybe it could square the value of the currency? Because you think that the $ in Australia (where i live) is a different value to the $ in America. So maybe squaring the dollar would make it... more valuable? Yet there would still be just two dollars, just the two dollars would be worth more.

Something times something else mathematically always depends on what the word "times" means and the units involved. Multiplying money is problematic because:

$1 = 100 cents
$2 = 200 cents

So if $1 x $2 = $2 and 100 cents x 200 cents = 20,000 cents = $200, we have a problem since $2 does not equal $200. So I guess you'd have to have some unit called "dollar squared" and "cent squared", which probably don't make sense.

The reason that that's not a probem with 1 ft x 1 ft compared to 12 in. x 12 in., is that we have concepts of what a square foot is and what a square inch is. We have no concept of a square dollar or a square cent, so I'd say that multiplication of money is meaningless and undefined until you have concepts of "dollar squared" and "cent squared". Hence you can't multiply one dollar times two dollars.

You can't multiply $1 by $2 any more than you can multiply 1 apple by 2 apples. Inches and feet are linear measures, apples and dollars are discrete, countable units.

commented: Statistics! %_% +4

[...] So maybe squaring the dollar would make it... more valuable? [...]

I thought that was called "stretching a buck" ;)

However, I tried to square it, and now is worth...well, you see. :'(

Ha ha ha, Perfect! But we arent exactly stretching a buck, it looks more like shrinking it.

Gosh thats the best idea so far :P

the best idea so far

I mean if you had a square $1 note. I rekon people would think it was so amazing that it must therefore be worth more!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.