just taking the time to say greetings - I am not malware, just a poor knave doing research in very basic system development for the home system owner.

Sort of inclining towards custom model specific linux distros for out of warranty systems in a refurbishment program and also system building my own new oem models

This forum is probably beyond my expertise - but no harm in looking around.

My main strength in research is lateral thinking - and the fact that I owe no vested interests any considerations, that might otherwise limit implimentations.

hope to chat soon

tigerbright

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

welcome to daniweb!

Welcome!

Sort of inclining towards custom model specific linux distros for out of warranty systems in a refurbishment program and also system building my own new oem models

yeah when i do builds for people i do ubuntu OEM , or make a custom cd using remastersys

Hi , ""custom cd using remastersys""'

sounds like the sort of info I am looking for

I would rather use Windows but MS want production runs of 50,000+ to be eligible for their commercial refurbisher's program

creating custom distros for specific good used systems sounds so underground
Sort of beating the system.

may I ask your involvement in IT ?

regards from TB

Student at university studying computing
Also studying for some IT certifications
Long time member of daniweb
computer salesman and neighbourhood tech guy

remastersys is an app for ubuntu where you can make an installable livecd from an existing system state - so you can set up 1 system , update + configure it as needed, then just burn a cd for use on all subsequent machines

I would rather use Windows but MS want production runs of 50,000+ to be eligible for their commercial refurbisher's program

look into becoming a microsoft system builder and just use the OPK, deployment tools, WAIK etc... to make a nice custom OEM disk for your customers. If you become a MS partner you can get an OEM Volume Licencing agreement so you can get discounts too. Expensive initial investment though i think. Contact an MS rep for more details anyway as i am not sure.

Greetings jbennet, thank u 4 additional info re ubuntu.
I know almost nothing about linux except I discovered for myself that Ubuntu would automatically configure for a broadband connection to the net via an ethernet modem.

For me an interesting solution from a cost view point.

The challenge is to enable customers to become proficient in blocks of about 20 minutes per task.

as for the MS sys builder program , My understanding is one must use 100% brand new components - so as to define the system as new.
So a major cost penalty for a very low volume producer.

I do not like seeing good systems getting dumped - just a waste of resources.

yeah if you use the ubuntu alternate CD, you can do an OEM install, basically you install it and then prep the system, and when they reboot they are promoted for time, language, create user etc...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.