the following is a true yet somewhat funny (IMO) scientists explanation of why santa can't possibly exist:

Scientists have tried to answer the question, "Does Santa come with flying reindeer to deliver presents at Christmas?" This is what they have found:

1. No known species of reindeer can fly, but there are 300,000 species of living organims yet to be classified. Although most of these are insects and bacteria, this does not rule out flying reindeer.

2. According to the Population Refeence Bureau, 378 million people celebrate Christmas worldwide. With an average of 3.5 children per home, that's 91.8 million homes for Santa to visit.

3. Thanks to different time zones, Santa has 31 hours of Christmas to work with, assuming he travels east to west. This works out to 822.6 visits per second. That means for each celebrating household with at least one good child in it, Santa has 1/1000th of a second to park, hop out of the sleigh, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, place presents under the tree, eat the cookies and return to the sleigh.

4. Assuming that all 91.8 million stops are evenly distributed throughout the earth, the total trip time will be 75.5 million miles. That means Santa's sleigh must move at 650 miles per second, 3000 times the speed of sound. For purposes of comparison, the fastest man-made vehicle on earth (the Ulysses space probe) moves at 27.4 miles per second.

5. Assuming that each child get nothing more than a medium-sized Lego set (weighing 2 pounds), the sleigh is carrying a payload of 321,300 tons, not counting jolly ol' Saint Nick himself.

6. A standard reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds. Even if flying reindeer might pull 10 times more than a normal reindeer, Santa would need 214,200 reindeer to pull the sleigh. The reindeer, payload, Santa and sleigh would therefore weigh more than 353,430 tons. This is four times the weight of the Q.E. II cruise ship.

7. This 353,430 tons traveling at 650 miles per second creates tremendous air resistance, heating the reindeer in the same manner as a spacecraft re-entering the earth's atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer would therefore absorb 14.3 quintillion joule of energy, per second, each.

8. The lead reindeer, as a result will burst into flames, exposing the reindeer behind them and creating massive sonic booms in their wakes. The entire reindeer team will be vaporized within 0.00426 seconds. Santa will be subjected to centrifugal forces 17,500 times greater than gravity. Assuming that Santa weighs 250 pounds, he would be pinned to the back of the sleigh by 4,375,000 pounds of centrifugal force.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

lmao, thats great. dont you know silly, he has a time stopper.

You are forgetting Einstein!

Einstein said that as you go faster, time seems to slow down for you so that those at 'normal speed' think an hour has gone by but to the faster ones it only seems like a few seconds has gone by. Clearly, then, what Santa is doing is SLOWING DOWN, not speeding up! Then it is WE who think a few seconds have gone by while for Santa, he has HOURS and HOURS.

As for dealing with the accelleration, heck that's been common knowledge since 1966 when Star Trek showed how you could accellerate to warp 9 without even holding on to a railing!

Correct. The "scientists" who came up with this nonsense never heard of reactionless thrusters or time dilation effects.
While in the past the reindeer may well have been functional I'd venture that currently they're mainly kept for appearances' sake and the real propulsion system is more advanced.

Sure... Regarding the Darwin's theory, there might appear some species of reindeer with an "onboard turbo-jet engine" :LOL:

ive seen this before and its hilarious

lol yeah it is pretty funny

helloooo this is a duplicate thread, c'mon someone close this...><'

ya it is a duplicate to badd i dont have the power to close it ; (

ok threads appear to have been merged :cool:, posts made by me about this being a duplicate thread are no longer true as I made this thread

P.S. Thanks to whoever merged the threads for merging them

378 million people celebrate Christmas worldwide?
That's silly. Europe has more than that (meaning from France to Poland, and from Scandinavia to Spain)

Or simply Santa knows how to create a wormhole via the Casimir Equation (i think thats the correct one)

nope ... he just delegates a lot.
why do you think Ireland is overrun by leprechauns?

The reindeer, payload, Santa and sleigh would therefore weigh more than 353,430 tons.

Reactionless thrusters and time dilation effects explain a lot, but the average roof would have a hard time with this weight!

378 million people celebrate Christmas worldwide?
That's silly. Europe has more than that (meaning from France to Poland, and from Scandinavia to Spain)

I think that should read:
378 million people celebrate the Santa and sleigh Christmas worldwide

As I remember from my military years, in Germany gifts are delivered by the more believable Christ-angels through an open window.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.