Hi Everyone! Nice to meet you all! I'm currently pursuing my B.S. in Information Technology with Web Design. Overall, I am doing well. I am having problems with Introduction to Programming, though. I understand the book very well, but the teacher often introduces terms that aren't in the book, and I get confused. He is unwillling to help me, and there are only 3 of us in his class! My particular problem is flowcharting. I hate it, I don't understand it, and I understand pseudocode much better. He will assign work that seems beyond the scope of my current knowledge, so I don't even know where to begin. I look for every resource available to try to fill the requirements of the assignmet, but if he won't tell me what I'm doing wrong, how do I proceed to the next assigment to make the current one right? -frustration-.
I currently work as a Nuclear Medicine Technologist, using PET/CT to scan cancer patients for response to chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and surgery. I have a Post-Graduate Certificate in Nuclear Medicine Technology, an B.A./B.S. in Physics and Nueroscience, and a family of one 10 year old daughter that thinks she's 20. My current husband is ex-miliatary, and enjoying retirement by working on motorcycles and trucks as big as apartment buildings in mines.
I like (when I have free time, which currently, is none) to read math & physics books, draw, paint, play instruments-guitar, bass, drums, keyboard, I would like to learnn to play the cello someday. I like listening to music, like Brujerria, Sepultura, and very old Neuroris, old Motley Crue, old Metallica, oh well, I'm probably leaving a lot out-but you get the picture-I'm old. I like spending time with my family & friends, doing whatever. I like movies, my favorite of all time is Resevoir Dogs. I'm 5'4", 115-120 #'s, have long brown/blonde curly hair and look a lot younger than I am. I like video games too, but that is so far out of my available free time, that it is almost non existent. I like Halo 1, 2, & 3 and Animal Crossing. I know, I'm a total geek, but that's okay. At least I have fun, excersize my knowledge and learning, and stay off crack. Ok, that's a joke. I don't know anything about crack except that it makes you crazy and lose teeth. Sorry if I offended anybody. ~Lisa Kerr

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Welcome Lisa!

Where are you from?

What are you using for the flowcharts? UML?
If there are any terms you want help with just ask

I am using Viso flowcharts for my Introduction to Programming class. I understand the book quite well, but do not know how to connect the flowchart items, like loops, or modules, for example, or even where to start my flowcharts, and which terms I should be using for naming variable, constants, and modules. It just doesn't seem to fit together in the book, and no examples are given on how to connect everything, so I fell pretty lost, especially since this is like learning a foreign language to me. I am especially confused about the structure of FOR loops, where they are entered in the flowchart, and where they exit. The teacher doesn't respond to my questions, and gives me vague explanations regarding my assignments, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong, or how to do it right for the following assignment. I am so frustrated that I am beginning to hate flowcharts. Thanks for your question, and I hope this explains my situation to you, and of course, I hope you can help me. Oh, and I'm in Tucson, but I'm from Seattle, and lived there most of my life.
Thanks again,
Lisa Kerr

It looks kind of similar, maybe the wording is different, and maybe the flow, and connectors are a bit different too. Here's an attachment of a census for the city of Cary in a Word doc, I copied it from Visio. Do you think I'm doing it right?
Thanks,
Lisa Kerr

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.