hi everybody
I'm an 18 yr old that doesn't want to get a job because I don't want to have to go to work everyday. I was thinking of doing a little business out of my house fixing computers. I have fixed a few computers before and I wouldn't mind charging customers very cheap for repairs because I enjoy doing it. I also have a few friends that are IT technicians so i'm not completely alone if I have a question or two.
I would appreciate if any one has any good suggestions for me.

Please keep negative comments off because I get enough of them from my brother who doesn't think I can do it. : (
(But if they're necessary go for it)

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Welcome!

That is my dream too, but i doubt it will ever happen :(

Please keep negative comments off because I get enough of them from my brother who doesn't think I can do it. : (
(But if they're necessary go for it)

I agree with your brother. GET A JOB AND DON'T BE SO LAZY, then you can work this hobby in as time permits with the goal of making it a full-time job. If you don't, you will either starve or spunge off your brother, which I'm sure he will not appreciate.

Get a real job which is essentially your "hobby" at the moment.

Pay really close attention to everything which is going on around you.

Fixing a couple of PCs in your garage for a few friends for cash in hand is one thing.

Being sued by an irate customer because you made the PC even worse (came in to remove the dust, came back with the HD erased), or being prosecuted by the govt for non payment of taxes is a completely different scenario.

You might have the technical skill, but there's lots of "business" skill you also need as well. Consider a few years with an employer an excellent opportunity to learn as much as you can about all these other aspects.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.