I've always seemed to listen to music as I do work on the computer. Lately, I've been really into Cat Stevens (just ordered the big box set).

What types of music do you listen to while working, or do you find it distracting? :eek:

Recommended Answers

All 31 Replies

Depends entirely on my mood as to what I listen to when working at my computer. While coding, in order to actually change into a "code mode" status, I have to have music. I don't listen to country or anything, that would just distract me. I can code no matter what is playing, but I can't get really into being focused about it without some good tunes.

oh yea, I always listen to music while working, when possible. Also I always listen to it before going to bed...I like to listen to modest mouse, and nirvana, heh go figure!

Nah! I dont want to listen to anything when I'm sort of doing my project ... I want complete absence of sound while my mind sets status of "busy"

Cat Stevens is good isn't he?
I work better with music shutting out the environment, which is why I often work with headphones on.
At work I've got some dozen of so CDs imported into iTunes ranging from Townes van Zandt to R.E.M. and occasionally swap some of that for others.

Cat Stevens is good isn't he?

Very much so. He kind of got buried under the rug after he abruptly left western culture (and his music career) to become a Muslim.

He's lately re-emerged, but last time he tried to enter the US he was denied by a terrorist watch list. He staunchly denies being a terrorist.

Hello,

Music is very important to what I do, as it sets the mood, and lets others in the house (fiancee) know what my mood is, and what I am up to. It can also muffle out certain curse words that I may aim at the beastie!

Musical tastes differ though with what I am doing. If it is playing chess, I love to hear Weird Al Yankovic. If drawing a mechanical / architectural drawing, I enjoy Enya or Yanni. If doing web work, I prefer 70's to 90's such as Journey, Boston, Def Leppard. If web surfing, I prefer talk radio, and as it is in the evenings, Mike Reagon or Shortwave, or I will fire up my ham radio and listen to a net. And if my fiancee walks in, and I need a break, I put in some Air Supply or Chicago, and dance a slow song or two with her.

Unfortunately, my computer is a bit older (333 MHz Macintosh Laptop G3), so I notice playing mp3's hitting my system a little bit. I usually run the audio though a small amplifier, and a good old CD player.

And on special days, I get the albums out, and do the Boston Pops playing movie themes.

Christian

I really get heavy when I'm working. At work I'm in a call center, so I pipe various forms of both techno and death metal through my headset while I'm ignoring, err... talking with customers. When I'm at the house, it's about more of the same-- I usually listen to Nightwish, but if I feel mellow, I'll either listen to The Postal Service, or Death Cab for Cutie.

I always have music on in my office at work.
It varies from soft rock, to pop, rap, and then Weird Al.
When I have a student come in and say they need in a program, then I just turn it down, that way I can concentrate on the task at hand.

When at home... ah... what ever I can get my hands on. My mother and I run a small out-of-home DVD making production. We do small stuff like wedding vids and things ofthat sort. Mostly for friends and family. We are always looking for songs to go on the DVDs. (NOTHING ILLEGAL!!!)

Very much so. He kind of got buried under the rug after he abruptly left western culture (and his music career) to become a Muslim.

yes, though that was largely self-imposed I think.
Any musician who doesn't produce and tour gets ignored by the media and the media determine what people buy.
I've one colleague who used to work for the organisation that determines the top-40 chart (the most influential here).
They CLAIM to be based purely on popularity but reality is quite different.
The top 20 spots are decided solely on payment figures. The record company who pays the most gets their artist the #1 spot for the week.
The lower 20 are based on the number of times a record has been performed on radio and TV (and the decisions on what to perform are made largely based on again payment from record companies).
Non-producing artists are unlikely to sell a lot (after all, most potential customers already have the stuff) so don't get exposure in the charts and media. As a result few new customers develop for those artists, causing them ultimately to drop out of view completely except for maybe stations playing oldies and classics.

He's lately re-emerged, but last time he tried to enter the US he was denied by a terrorist watch list. He staunchly denies being a terrorist.

Wouldn't you deny being a terrorist?
Not saying he is one, but just a man's denial of being a criminal doesn't clear that man.
His conversion to Islam and radical statements in the past would have made his name turn up at least to have him flagged as a person with possible sympathies to terrorist groups if not actual membership.

Personally, I listen to New Country while coding, the distractions help me figure out something that I haven't been able to figure out for a while, as what I think Albert Einstien said "The Eureka Syndrome", going for that sort of thing.

It depends on what I am doing PHP.. no music.. can't think.
Basic stuff oh ya.. always have music playin in my headset even. :)

Wouldn't you deny being a terrorist?
Not saying he is one, but just a man's denial of being a criminal doesn't clear that man.
His conversion to Islam and radical statements in the past would have made his name turn up at least to have him flagged as a person with possible sympathies to terrorist groups if not actual membership.

And being a Muslim does'nt mean that the person is a terrorist. I have my reasons but don't wanna discuss politics here.

I don't have the facts to determine whether or not the man is giving money to terrorist groups. I do know that both the Israel and US claim he is, but I also know that the terrorist rumors began to surface after a quote taken from him in a speech in the 80s. He claims the quote is false.

I learn more toward him not being a terrorist, because his messages all appear to be peace, and I happen to really like his music. It wouldn't be as much fun jamming to him if I knew he was a terrorist. :/

I don't have the facts to determine whether or not the man is giving money to terrorist groups. I do know that both the Israel and US claim he is, but I also know that the terrorist rumors began to surface after a quote taken from him in a speech in the 80s. He claims the quote is false.

I learn more toward him not being a terrorist, because his messages all appear to be peace, and I happen to really like his music. It wouldn't be as much fun jamming to him if I knew he was a terrorist. :/

Remember that Arafat preached peace for decades even while launching terrorist attacks on Israel.
In his book (which is the PLO charter) peace means "a world under Islamic rule where there are no Jews or Christians".
The USSR preached peace which in their vocabulary meant "communist world domination".

I don't say he was a terrorist just that his acts and statements were of a nature which make him a likely suspect for being a terrorist sympathiser and maybe a fundraiser or recruiter.

And yes, I know not all Muslims are terrorists, just as not all Christians are IRA members.

Now it wouldnt sem too right if ther wasent any tunes arond now would it? LOL, I mean common, to me, its my life or a thing I have to have while scripting or designing. Its pointless without it I think.

Also snaking too?:eek: man, you gotta try it sometimes MUHAHA!!:mrgreen:

Cheese and marmite sandwhich, bottle of fanta, slipknot, system of a down and rammstein full blast. W00t.

Cheese and marmite sandwhich, bottle of fanta, slipknot, system of a down and rammstein full blast. W00t.

There ya go, now we are rollin!:mrgreen:

Music is anyways a passion for me. Yeah i listen to different music styles when i work. Indian Classical(many of u might have heard of pt. Ravi Shankar and the sitar)Others like Ustad Amjad Ali Khan Saab are equally good. The instrumental music is really soothing :-)

Then there are bands like Pink Floyd with Comfortably Numb and Coming Back To Life, Ozzy Osbourne ( All songs ) and assorted collections of pop/rock artistes like Eagles, The Doors. I also listen to world music of Karunesh.

Its crazy how music is such an important role in everyones life. It can go from changing peoples moods to changing peoples lives. I mess around with the guitar and drums, but I think we all take music for granted. Just imagine if music wasnt there, there would always be a void. We wouldnt have anything to hum, or tap to the beat to, just long boring awkward silences. It seems music is like air for our personality or thinking process, we just couldnt imagine life without music. :)

commented: Nicely said +2

Its crazy how music is such an important role in everyones life. It can go from changing peoples moods to changing peoples lives. I mess around with the guitar and drums, but I think we all take music for granted. Just imagine if music wasnt there, there would always be a void. We wouldnt have anything to hum, or tap to the beat to, just long boring awkward silences. It seems music is like air for our personality or thinking process, we just couldnt imagine life without music. :)

Your absolutly right!!:cry:

Yeah I totally agree. It's always good to listen to music whilst working because it keeps you going (and its always fun to have a boogie :> )

As long as you listen to your favorite style of music, work will just float away \o/

Its amazing and don't anyone take this the wrong way it's just an observation, but do you realise what an impact all of this has had on us, (open minded people that is).
That a forum with the question "do you listen to music......?", ends up discussing terrorism isn't it sad how that fear and worry affects our day to day lives, i used to be religious but i lost my faith when i realized there are violent people who use religon as an excuse to kill and control. As well as i lost faith in goverments who make up excuse to kill for money and control and all i want to do is meet up with my friends and make some new ones and then we all have a laugh! oh well *sigh*
hope this message ment something and didn't bore you all
cheers :-|

:mrgreen: OH YEAH.....i love music!!!!!!!!!!!!, its great and all sorts usually keeps me happy.
music is like my drug, it's amazing how it can take away all the negitive feelings giving me a clear head to think about how to sort out the problem instead of sitting in a pool of self pity.
take care and remember just smile and do something that will make you laugh, and others if you can, (thats always a bonus!) :mrgreen:

yeah all the time...the only places i listen to music is with my ipod or with my pc...nothing but nightwish for me :)

It depends on my mind set, but usually I enjoy listening to instrumental jazz or bossa nova, glitch electronica (i.e. Aphex Twin, Amon Tobin), or orchestral classical music. Anything with vocals tends to disrupt my concentration. When I really get into things I like putting headphones on, it helps me to block out any outside sources of sound.

I listen to music 24/7,from anything like the beatles to catherine wheel.
Music is the spice of life,whatever the mood your in.:cool:

Not when coding, its distracting for me then. But its okay when I design, depends how I feel.

Hmm.. for me it's nightwish, tristania, apocalyptica, after forever... rarely anything else passes by my playlist.. maybe Malice Mizer and Mois Dix Mois at times.. and that's about it ;)

It seems music is like air for our personality or thinking process, we just couldnt imagine life without music. :)

I could. :p

I haven't been listening to any music for a few months. Well, I haven't been facing any music as well. ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.