Apparently the big collider will not be back in operation until late this year, but Hollywood has been busy making a film about it. A conspiracy film staring Tom Hanks to steal antimatter from CERN and to use it blow up the Holy City in Rome.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090212/sc_nm/us_science_antimatter_3

Holy Antimatter!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Yeah, I always thought that Tom Hanks guy was kind of shifty...

Yeah, I always thought that Tom Hanks guy was kind of shifty...

Unless they've really, really messed up the story, Hanks's character is the good guy, trying to prevent the Vatican from being blown up.

... I was just being facetious ... :P

Wonder if you can get past airport security with a suitcase full of antimatter?

Wonder if you can get past airport security with a suitcase full of antimatter?

Only if you carry it in your 1 quart plastic bag, and you divide it into several 3 ounce bottles.

Only if you carry it in your 1 quart plastic bag, and you divide it into several 3 ounce bottles.

Hehe, right on!

Now I wonder how much antimatter it would take to theoretically blow up the Vatican? Maybe it's just the size of pinhead?

Iron antimatter the size of a pinhead would do. You would have to suspend it in an absolute vacuum with a magentic field. If it reacts with matter, it would create twice the energy predicted by Einstein's famous formula.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.