I don't see anything wrong with a good, clean debate... as long as it remains clean.

No one should be here to throw dirt on anyone elses beliefs, regardless of what they are.

It's a topic relevant to our existance... and a mighty fun one at that. When you go right back to the beginning, there's no proof to support either theory. So it's not as though one side can defeat the other...

It's pure conjecture.

Be that as it may - mankind is not the product of evolution, it is a by-product and as such, the universe will not miss us if we screw up and get cleared out of the gene pool (I imagine a huge strand of DNA on a high seat blowing a whistle, shouting "everyone out of the pool").

Perhaps we are just the most successful viruses to date :P

When you go right back to the beginning, there's no proof to support either theory. So it's not as though one side can defeat the other...

It's pure conjecture.

Unfortunately the creationists don't even understand the rules of the game. It's hard to beat a team that thinks they win by standing on the field saying "I believe I win, so I win!".

Unfortunately the creationists don't even understand the rules of the game. It's hard to beat a team that thinks they win by standing on the field saying "I believe I win, so I win!".

Ah you have a good point.

Funny how they can decalre such, however as soon as an evolutionsist takes a stab at their beliefs, we're seen as insensitive and wrong. Suddenly we're 'ganging up', putting the believers down...

I love your avatar, by the way :)

internet evolution/ID "debates" are always just a big circle jerk. the only difference is sometimes one side has the bigger circle, sometimes its the other.

you haven't uncovered anything new. i remember the heyday of TAMU's Internet Infidels, talk.origins USENET, and Church of the Subgenius. I, too, thought i was quite clever, but 15 years later I see nothing has changed.

what I'm saying is, you might as well go debate abortion at a Catholic Grandmother's Quilting Bee. Because your persuasive use of logic and reason and scientific methods, will have you just as likely to convince someone that their position is indeed wrong, and that they need to come over to your side.

Of course we've not uncovered anything new... who here is a brilliant scientist and physicist?

It's just a debate, for a little mind exercise...

i see what you're saying. i probably said the same thing too.

now i think: nothing new, not convincing anyone, preaching to the choir.... yep.... circle jerk.

i see what you're saying. i probably said the same thing too.

now i think: nothing new, not convincing anyone, preaching to the choir.... yep.... circle jerk.

Sometimes just jerk

We get it - you've been there done that and it all bores you to tears. Why are you posting here? Say something interesting or go away.

i remember the heyday of TAMU's Internet Infidels, talk.origins USENET, and Church of the Subgenius. I, too, thought i was quite clever, but 15 years later I see nothing has changed.

Just to say something nice:
Snopes
a.f.u.
rec.humor.funny
alt.humor.best-of-usenet

Otherwise, if you are so old and wise, why are you posting here?
<<oops, didn't I just say that?>>

No one should be here to throw dirt on anyone elses beliefs, regardless of what they are.

But what if they're stupid? Why shouldn't we throw dirt at stupid beliefs? Like the belief that one should just make pronouncements and feel proud at the fact.

It's pure conjecture.

No, there is past exposure to information influencing people's opinions. Nothing is pure conjecture.

We get it - you've been there done that and it all bores you to tears. Why are you posting here? Say something interesting or go away.

Agreed.

I don't appreciate being personally attacked or told I'm the young naive version or a person I've never met.

I hereby accuse you of being a person I've never met.

But what if they're stupid? Why shouldn't we throw dirt at stupid beliefs? Like the belief that one should just make pronouncements and feel proud at the fact.

Because I'm fairly certain it's an immature thing to do and is probably against some kind of forum rule...

How about keeping things fair? Respectly disagree if you must, but aviod creating an all out brawl...

No, there is past exposure to information influencing people's opinions. Nothing is pure conjecture.

Yeah! What if they just post stupid crap that they think makes them sound sorta intellectual? Or posting pedantic crap that worries about 'pure conjecture' - get a life.

Yeah! What if they just post stupid crap that they think makes them sound sorta intellectual? Or posting pedantic crap that worries about 'pure conjecture' - get a life.

Wow, being a bully. How's that working out for you?

Wow, being a bully. How's that working out for you?

'bout as well as it works for you.

But I am not being a bully. I genuinely believe one should have no respect for people's "opinions" and their need to share them.

But I am not being a bully. I genuinely believe one should have no respect for people's "opinions" and their need to share them.

I don't like people who disrespect anyone who doesn't respect people's need to share their dislike of people who share their opinions.

You just come across as a twit without a cause.

Therefore by his rules we can disrespect his opinion, can we not?

I don't like people who disrespect anyone who doesn't respect people's need to share their dislike of people who share their opinions.

Its certain peoples opinion, based on religion, that they should blow people up etc..., and i definately dont respect that opinion, and many would respect me for not respecting that opinion.

sorry, folks, i didn't mean to come off sounding like such a dick.

truth is: i still have issues, and i'm exceedingly frustrated by this subject

especially by the paradoxical fact that i live in the most technologically-advanced country, which seems to be always on the verge of being taken over by a bunch of superstitions chicken bone shakers.

it probably didnt help that i grew up and spent a large part of my adult life in the U.S. South. or that I've got a bunch of fundamentalist anti-intellectuals in my family.

:(

commented: superstitious chicken bone shackers, could be the title of the next great song! +4

'bout as well as it works for you.

Actually, I somehow think he's gone beyond bully and evolved into forum troll, back on his arrival at this site.

If we create computers and robots with AI, will they eventually evolve to take us (the creators) over?

If we create computers and robots with AI, will they eventually evolve to take us (the creators) over?

Obviously, there is a three part documentary on the subject, the first being called The Matrix, you'll find all the information you need ;)

truth is: i still have issues, and i'm exceedingly frustrated by this subject

especially by the paradoxical fact that i live in the most technologically-advanced country, which seems to be always on the verge of being taken over by a bunch of superstitions chicken bone shakers.:(

The 'bone-shakers' in Texas have won another round. To put it in perspective; Texas considers itself a single school district and therefore it is the single largest purchaser of textbooks in the US; so what the Texas School Board decides it wants in its textbooks are, de facto, what every other school district will get in theirs because textbook publishers do not want to have to print different versions. Rather than tell you what happened, I will point you to the discussions.
http://www.arn.org/blogs/index.php/2/2009/03/29/texas_school_board_news_and_commentary_5
http://firedoglake.com/2009/03/29/creationists-on-texas-school-board-prevail-watered-down-science-coming-to-your-kids-textbooks/
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123777413372910705.html

http://www.scientificblogging.com/adaptive_complexity/texas_school_board_creationists_reduced_incoherence

Ooh, we could base a TV series on that idea! Maybe have them search for a mythical 'Earth' too?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.