Hi All,

Awesome site. Thank You !!

Just a few quickies , is the C language here to stay ? Does anyone know of a language that may replace it in the future? What compiler do you all recommend for compiling C? What languages should I learn to help me get my "foot in the door" of any company that employs programmers ?

Take Care and Thanks in Advance,

Mark

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Hi everyone,

I never would ever think someone would ask this question :mrgreen: but we did have such a question in the c++ forum about this topic

here is the link

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread8386.html

The thread is now closed as instead of discussing the topic at hand certain members started launching personal attacks against one another.

It's quite entertaining to read

Maybe the flame can still be rekindled

Richard West

I believe that it really doesn't matter what language you learn because your skills are easily transferable. The major difference between languages is syntax, so once you understand the syntax of a new language, you can start programming in it with ease. After you have learned a few languages, they all begin to look the same. Same way with Operating Systems/Platforms -- your skills are easily transferrable from one to another so why worry about which one you start out on?

well put evenbit

There are large differences between how you write in an Object Oriented Programming Language and a procedural language though. I think there will be a need for C programmers for a long time though, Its a good bet, But personly i think you should learn both a procedual and a object orientated language to cover all bases. C is a good language to learn since its quite powerful and lets you make mistakes (helps you learn :P) + you get to mess around with memory etc. alot of higher level languages such as java and C# hide this...

So in conclusion I think C is a great language to learn since its so powerful :)

So in conclusion I think C is a great language to learn since its so powerful :)

here, here!

hi friend,
i am astudent of IT 2ND YEAR. i can only help you that linux has got the best compiler in c!
if you get any benifit reply me at papu_sandip@rediffmail.co

Hi ushineon,
As we all know that C is the mother of all languages. Most of the concepts are taken from C. And I want to prefer the TurboC++ for programing. After knowing C one can easily switch to any other language easily. And it dosen't care anyone what language u know they want to know how much u know about that language. U can choose Java, C++, VB.NET etc.

Hi ushineon,
As we all know that C is the mother of all languages. Most of the concepts are taken from C. ......
U can choose Java, C++, VB.NET etc.

Heheheh.. is VB a language?

lol i think thier making a D (im not joking)

commented: WOMBAT - Waste Of Money Brains And Time +0

Hi All,

Awesome site. Thank You !!

Just a few quickies, is the C language here to stay? Does anyone know of a language that may replace it in the future? What compiler do you all recommend for compiling C? What languages should I learn to help me get my "foot in the door" of any company that employs programmers?

Take Care and Thank You in Advance,

Mark

i heard Fortran is the next New Thing

Thanks guys, you just caused me to open the C++ thread and read 10 pages of Narue and Jwenting schooling Richard West 5 years ago. What a productive night I was supposed to spend writing javascript .... *sigh*

i heard Fortran is the next New Thing

phew, Fortran. Algol 60 is where it's at!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.