Sometimes, sitting here in Seattle, I think that we live in a post-racial world. Then I see this and think 'where is the humanity?'. I can't imagine what it is like to have to say 'yes sir', 'no sir', 'I hope you will be nice sir' while my m-i-l is on her death-bed just a hundred yards away.

Sigh! My outrage will fade but 'driving while ethnic' will remain a crime.

verruckt24 commented: I like the last words +4

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Your outrage says I should give you a ticket. :P

Back when Montana did not have a speed limit (well, the posted limit was 'reasonable and prudent') some car companies decided that would be a good place to do those 5-car bumper-to-bumper road trips there at 100 mph. Only bumper-to-bumper is neither reasonable nor prudent and they got speeding tickets, reckless driving tickets AND EPA violations tickets (probably apocryphal).

I grew up driving 70 - 90 mph on 'improved' roads (means they have paved shoulders) with only one lane in each direction. We once had an old '57 Chevy up to 145 mph - the windshield wipers ripped right off. The last time I went back (before they actually set a real speed limit at 70 but generally you have to be going 90 or above to get their attention) I have my old '88 Corolla Al-Trac up to 124 mph before my survival instincts kicked in and I realized I was no longer 18 and immortal.

# The world's fastest speeding ticket allegedly was issued in 2003 in Texas, when the driver of a Swedish-built Koenigsegg went 242 mph in a 75 mph zone.

# The world's fastest speeding ticket allegedly was issued in 2003 in Texas, when the driver of a Swedish-built Koenigsegg went 242 mph in a 75 mph zone.

Wow! I wonder how he got caught?

As for your original post -- you are insisting that the incident was racially based? I didn't see that in the article, so you might be jumping to conclusions there. But I agree that the cop should be fired for being so insensitive.

It doesnt seem at all racially based

Simply, the guy ran a red light at speed, so the cop stopped him.

The guy came to a complete stop at a red light - saw that there was no traffic, turned his emergency flashers and went through the traffic light. The cop called it in as attack with a motor vehicle (for the clear and present danger as excuse for the chase). He pulled a gun on them (but later put it away). He stopped them at a hospital and had to tell the guy all the reasons he could arrest him and tow his car.

Maybe the cop would have behaved the same way with anyone he had pulled over. But I am sorry, I just don't see a good ole boy running that shit on a good ole boy at the door of a hospital. It was pure power play on someone who was powerless.

you are insisting that the incident was racially based? I didn't see that in the article, so you might be jumping to conclusions there

My sister emailed this to me, she is a doctoral student studying psychology, and this incident was raised in her class which focuses on: “The psychology of racism; signs and symptoms.” I think this pretty much fits the description head on - the power trip, the lack of sympathy, inability to exercise common sense and especially Powell's current inability to accept responsibility or to remotely learn from his mistakes from this incident.

This is an excerpt from one of the comments left for the article. And sounds alright for me.

It doesnt seem at all racially based

Simply, the guy ran a red light at speed, so the cop stopped him.

Hmmm... Okay let me ask you, would you say that if you were in the place Mr. Ryan Moats ? This doesn't sound anywhere near to being sympathetic towards someone who is having a loved one dying. I guess you need to show some warmth, people are yet to be entirely converted into robots that would enforce a rule with such disregard for compassion and humanity.

wurreckt: Everyone agrees the cop was an idiot and should probably get canned for that incident. The question was whether or not it was racially motivated -- there was nothing in the article to indicate it was. But on the otherhand, what is NOT said is just as important as what is said.

A terrible incident all around. I am wondering if we should be lucky that the officer did not fire upon the vehicle or driver.

I am interested in knowing what disciplinary actions, if any, are taken.

I just heard on the news that the officer apologized to the man and his wife, they accepted. The officer has been placed on administrative leave pending investigation.

AD : Yes I agree that the article doesn't have anything which would take us towards the conclusion that this was a racially based. What I meant was, that there was a comment for the article that mentioned that the behavioural traits of the police officer were typical of a racist. And that comment sounded alright for me.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.