I have an idea on what we should do with old spaceships and satellites. Instead of bringing them back down to the Earth and scrapping them, I think we should put messages on them and send them back into space towards a solar system (or any random trajectory that wouldn't cause it to collide with any natural or artificial object). This is similar to the Pioneer and Voyager programs, with the exception that the Pioneer and Voyager programs used newly constructed spaceships, instead of old ones that would be scrapped. Such a system is a great idea since it would help us make contact with one or more alien civilizations. That being said, if an alien civilization (or civilizations) came across one or more of our old ships and satellites (that are carrying messages), they could learn about our people and perhaps even make (first) contact with our species. I see no disadvantages to this suggestion of mine, save for us not getting the little bit of scrap metal we would back (and the possibility of the aliens being hostile and enslaving or killing us, however that is highly unlikely since they would most likely be peaceful since they are so technologically advanced, and we have done this before with both radio and material messages before and nothing bad happened). I also believe that we should send out more non-material messages (radio, as well as others). It is not a commonly known fact, but we have only sent out a handful of messages to solar systems (some of them will reach their destinations within the next 10-20 years, so don't be surprised if you see a large armada of alien ships jump into our solar system some day sending us messages of international peace and happiness). It is unlikely that an alien civilization would be able to kill us even if they tried however, because by the time they get the message, construct a fleet, and move their fleet to Earth, we would have already colonized several other planets, have highly advanced technology, and be allied with several other alien races. I also believe that we should add weapons to our spaceships. These weapons could come in handy if we come across hostile aliens, asteroids, meteors, comets, rustyslacker (and his Gay Abyss), terrorists, etc. Space ships with weapons could also stop a nuclear missile by attacking it while it is in space. We should also add shields to our spaceships, this would prevent reentry problems, protect against hostile aliens, protect the ship and it's crew from foreign objects, and much more. While this is currently against the Geneva Convention, the convention could be ammended, after all, life as we know it could be at stake if we don't. These are just some of my ideas for the spacefaring nations (and organizations) of the world. It should also be noted that I created a space message board today (April 5, 2009) and the URL is: [link removed]

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

You :
a. Watch too much star-trek
b. Use too much acid.

These weapons could come in handy if we come across hostile aliens, asteroids, meteors, comets, rustyslacker (and his Gay Abyss), terrorists,....

And don't forget : Pigs. In. Space!!!

[edit]
Whoops, I missed the fact that he was banned already.

The return on investment of discovering alien is ZERO.

he only had 36 posts, but somehow i feel as if he will be missed.

You :
a. Watch too much star-trek
b. Use too much acid.

Lol I'm guessing it's more the latter. His posts make me laugh.

I think he will be missed, purely from an entertainment perspective.

Godspeed, young cadet. A tragic loss 'tis ours, how such we never knew thee.

Godspeed, young cadet. A tragic loss 'tis ours, how such we never knew thee.

*Snort*

... Good one.

Your ideas are stupid. They would be too expensive. You value your ideas too highly.

^ you should try going downtown to the shelters and arguing with the schizophrenics.

no, really. it'll be fun.

I did that once, and I liked it!

I know a sociologist (Ph.D.) who did that. He wrote a book and made $Billions.

i heard he made $Skazillions

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.