Check out
http://www.infoworld.com/d/adventures-in-it/7-dirtiest-jobs-in-it-937 (it is not my website)
and make sure you stay away from them.

Nick Evan commented: Great article! +15

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Dirty IT job No. 5: Ability to withstand a variety of environments and personality types; concealed-weapons permit a plus. Individuals with anger management issues need not apply.

Try installing the computer and your program in a flour factory where the employees have to wear a mask because the air is filled with so much flour! Yes, I had to do that once, and had to put the computer inside an environment cabinet.

In another instance I went into a doctor's office because the receptionist complained that the printer wouldn't work. I walked in, turned the printer on, and walked out! That doctor got a nice bill for those few minutes :)

When I was still working with embedded software, I had to go to a slaughterhouse to reprogram some machine they had. So I was working with my laptop, when they decided to fire up the machine behind me, which was in fact a giant circular-saw that cuts cows in half (literally) .
So to my suprise, me and my laptop were suddenly covert in pieces of ex-cow. That was not my best day on the job as you can imagine...

commented: that's one of the more whacked things ive heard in a while! and while i was sipping coffee too... i almost snorted it +6

^ egads, that tops my slaughterhouse story. i worked on the automation systems for a pig processing plant, but we only worked on weekends when it was shut down.

seriously though, that sounds like it might have been an intentional safety violation on the operator's part, to run a saw so close to an unqualified person on the line. I can see how those guys would get a kick out of watching some whitecollar techie get freaked out.

depending on the circumstances, i might have made a lot of noise about that. threatening to file a report with the FDA would have got management's attention real quick.

Judging from the filth that food processing plants get by with, I don't think the FDA would be much of a threat! Being covered with raw hamburger could be considered a benefit.

i work in an FDA regulated industry. ... it's all groovy when a company is flying under the radar, but let me tell you, once the FDA gets a company's number ... they are a HUGE threat. more than you know.

though, on second thought .... OSHA would probably be a more appropriate regulatory body, given the type of grabassery that i suspect was going on in this case.

Well. you could be doing an IT job in Iraq or Afghanistan. There the flying hamburger would be replaced by lead, shrapnel and sometimes body parts.

A couple of years back i was working at the data center of one of the largest paper plants in Asia. Actually i was not supposed to go inside the plant but once i decided to go inside and find out what exactly happens. There was a vacuum lift crane that lifts paper rolls up to 6 tones which operates over our head. As i was just passing by it dropped a six ton roll seconds after an alarm went off. and luckily i was couple of feet away.

Wow and ouch, debasisdas!
Glad you missed that, maybe a paperless society is your goal now?

commented: ahah +6

Off late many IT companies in my country have started treating employess like a slaves , work 16-20 hours a day , seven days per week , since there are not many jobs in the it market , looks like we need to publish top ten dirty it companies list soon.

Off late many IT companies in my country have started treating employess like a slaves , work 16-20 hours a day , seven days per week , since there are not many jobs in the it market , looks like we need to publish top ten dirty it companies list soon.

that sounds pretty bad. what country do you work in?

im surprised, because programming type jobs really suffers from diminishing returns -- even negative returns -- when people are overworked and subject to being sleep deprived.

you wind up making more mistakes that costs time and money to go back and correct

all the companies will fight to find a place in the list.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.