What does that have to do with anything?

it also supports the idea of how c++ sucks.

mvmalderen commented: Very stupid thread ! +0

The question in hand is not whether C++ is bad, but rather whether UNIX (in specific, linux as a development environment for c++ programming) is bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

> it also supports the idea of how c++ sucks.

Just because Linus thinks C++ sucks doesn't mean we feel the same way; he isn't god you know. Also, AFAICT, he is trying to say that:
- C++ is a difficult language, at least when compared with C
- There are more ways to abuse and more substandard programmers in C++ than in C

As an analogy, please don't hate your OS just because it allows you to format a partition with a single click; with great powers come great responsibility...

LOL WUT? is this a love letter to Narue?

well... damn. I just don't know what else to say.

commented: In the cows' word, bullshit is not a swearing word, but a mickey mouse thing is known regardless of who you are. +15
commented: LOLWTF +20

it also supports the idea of how c++ sucks.

> C++ doesn't suck, in fact it has inspired the languages Java and C#, do these also s*ck then ?
> C++ has inspired the creation of those two other languages, I don't think this is because C++ s*cks :) ...

Book looks pretty cool...

> C++ doesn't suck, in fact it has inspired the languages Java and C#, do these also s*ck then ?
> C++ has inspired the creation of those two other languages, I don't think this is because C++ s*cks :) ...

those concepts were around before c++, have you heard of Cobol, or small talk?

those concepts were around before c++, have you heard of Cobol, or small talk?

Please explain what you mean. And yet again, i thaught the topic was whether UNIX sucked, not whether C++ sucked...

Please explain what you mean. And yet again, i thaught the topic was whether UNIX sucked, not whether C++ sucked...

object orientation and its concepts did not start with c++, Cobol was utilizing such stuff.

>how about this :
It's a well known and controversial rant that is often quoted out of context. Here's the context if you missed it: Linus thinks C++ is a bad language choice for Git (and similar low level projects). Git is a version control system that's written with similar design views as a file system.

Many of the abstractions from C++ don't make sense for such a project and would only serve to complicate it without buying anything substantial. Linus' logic is sound even if he comes off as a prick in voicing it.

He might have a similar opinion for any project in C++, but Linus isn't a C++ programmer. In much the same way physicists would ignore my rants about how the large hadron collider is poorly designed, C++ programmers should respond to Linus with a similar attitude of "the layman has an uninformed opinion, how quaint".

object orientation and its concepts did not start with c++, Cobol was utilizing such stuff.

What??????

COBOL came out in like the fifties/sixties and it didnt get Object-Oriented features added in until the late 90s/early 2000s..

C++, on the other hand, had Object-Orientation inlike the late 70s/early 1980s.

Get your facts straight.

What??????

COBOL came out in like the fifties/sixties and it didnt get Object-Oriented features added in until the late 90s/early 2000s..

That's true, COBOL was invented to improve the readability of a program (however unlikely) but it still belongs to the non-structured languages ...

To the OP: If C++ s*cked, why are there then so much professional programmers which prefer it ?

ok maybe i dont remember when object orientation started, but i remember that it started before c++ language.
i suggest that you read that unix haters handbook first, then reclaim your ideas. during weekend i will read other two books which are, the art of programming on unix and philosophy behind unix and linux. i am not biased anyway..

A little googling

How Object-Oriented Programming Started

by Ole-Johan Dahl and Kristen Nygaard,
Dept. of Informatics, University of Oslo

SIMULA I (1962-65) and Simula 67 (1967) are the two first object-oriented languages. Simula 67 introduced most of the key concepts of object-oriented programming: both objects and classes, subclasses (usually referred to as inheritance) and virtual procedures, combined with safe referencing and mechanisms for bringing into a program collections of program structures described under a common class heading (prefixed blocks).

The Simula languages were developed at the Norwegian Computing Center, Oslo, Norway by Ole-Johan Dahl and Kristen Nygaard. Nygaard's work in Operational Research in the 1950s and early 1960s created the need for precise tools for the description and simulation of complex man-machine systems. In 1961 the idea emerged for developing a language that both could be used for system description (for people) and for system prescription (as a computer program through a compiler). Such a language had to contain an algorithmic language, and Dahl's knowledge of compilers became essential.

More of this article here.

And we're getting programming lessons from Professor Ancient Dragon :P ...

He knows a lot.

He knows a lot.

That's why I called him a 'Professor' (with a capital) ...

he is at your father's age, that is natural that he knows a lot.

finish this guys :
somebody loves java somebody loves C++ and somebody
loves C and may be assembly.

we are not here to tell my language is better than you'rs.
This is a badddd mistake that most of those java crews doing !
no C++ expert ( not me ) state that java like language is SUCKS
. But many java crews do state this openly.

!ops ( many members here ) respect other ppls programming language expertise.

for me java is a good programming language but not interested ,
and C++ yes interested ( still learning ) and this is my favorite.
Java is good for java lovers and C++ is good for C++ lovers.

True , he got the experience becos of his age. But no-one have the
right to insult some other filed of expertise using that expertise.

use this experience for good . and I want to say you that I'm continuing learning C++.and still it's my favorite.

No. That would suggest that the older you are, the more you know, which is just not true.

Case in point: you're older than I am.

commented: as your advocate, i must give you a cookie +8

No. That would suggest that the older you are, the more you know, which is just not true.

Case in point: you're older than I am.

what makes you think you know better than i do?

the very fact that you made this thread?

the very fact that you made this thread?

are you scru's advocate?

the quality of your posts?

looks like jbennet is scru's advocate, too.

it's a conspiracy, i say, a conspiracy.

looks like jbennet is scru's advocate, too.

it's a conspiracy, i say, a conspiracy.

this single serkan sendur will handle all of your conspiracy.. :)

hahah. Be nice, people ;) No conspiracy here.

This thread has gone so far off-topic (was it ever really ontopic in the first place?).

>no C++ expert ( not me ) state that java like language is SUCKS
Java sucks[1]. Of course, C++ sucks too.

[1] I'm called a C++ expert enough that I suppose I can disprove your statement.

commented: grr ... thats my bread and butter you are talking about !!! -2
commented: Just ignore stephen :) +3

If you experienced the clumsiness of Windows Vista, Unix or Linux is a breath of fresh air! We need a book titled:
"The Vista Haters' Handbook"

commented: Yeah, but the difference between the two is that the Vista Hater's Book will be filled up with real facts and the Unix Hater's Book is just rubbish :P +3
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.