rocked.

but, as a relatively-new parent, i realize they give these movies a PG-13 rating for a reason.... the reason being that it's not really appropriate viewing material for four-year-olds.

oh, well, he shouldn't suffer permanent scars.

much.

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

Haha :D the age ratings generally dont make much difference, it mostly depends on the kid. I remember watching some sort of violent film (rated 15+), and there was a 7-8 year old kid sitting and laughing at it. Whereas my 8 year old sister had to leave Narnia (PG) because she was terrified of it.

well, i took my kid to see Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith, when he was 6 months old. he seemed to do alright. he's been watching Bruce Willis movies since age 2.

i like to think i'm giving him a well-rounded cultural education.

+1 to the Star Trek film rocking! Best film I have seen in a while.

Age ratings are fairly pointless, the context the 'questionable material' is used in is more important, and obviously the young person viewing it. But I guess as a rough guide it serves it's purpose.

Bring on Avatar

Movie violence is boring and pisses me off, so does most acting. Probably why I also hate television so much.

I saw the trailer for it at the theaters a couple months ago, looks like a piece of crap.

I saw the trailer for it at the theaters a couple months ago, looks like a piece of crap.

my wife thought the trailer looked pretty uninteresting too, and she enjoyed the movie immensely.

by any standard, this movie is a huge success with movie critics around the globe.

mainly because it's well-acted, with a solid plot, great effects that don't overwhelm, and is completely accessible to even non-fans.

and the last part may explain why the only people who seem to dislike it are the most obsessive Star Trek fanatics, the so-called "Trekkies" who like to dress up and go to geek conventions.

Movie violence is boring and pisses me off, so does most acting. Probably why I also hate television so much.

I think the movie violence is make me stronger. sometimes you
need to be hard to some extent.

If you argue me wrong , then why is the military traning is so that
much of hard ????

I think that's also a challenge to win. Rocks !

anyhow dude , I also hate the television too. Television is the one man show political show these days. I also hate the sex and violence but they are better than the politics. Even the songs are
politicilized , music , films and education.

I'm not native English so I don't know the precise word for this , I guess 'politicilized' , like 'oxide d' like that ....

commented: what are you talking about?!!!! -1

rocked.

but, as a relatively-new parent, i realize they give these movies a PG-13 rating for a reason.... the reason being that it's not really appropriate viewing material for four-year-olds.

oh, well, he shouldn't suffer permanent scars.

much.

When I was a kid, The Wizard of Oz scared me so much I walked out of the theater but The Deadly Mantis, Them, and all that were no problem. By-the-by - when I saw OZ, the movie cost 10cents, a coke was a nickle, and popcorn was a dime - $0.25 was party time at the movies.

I very rarely watch television too, especially as english tv generally sucks. I don't mind violence on a small scale, but I much prefer an interesting film, such as the shankshaw redemption which has possibly the best plot I've ever seen.

I generally pay no attention to age ratings. I was so terrified of Cabin Fever I stopped watching it half way through, but I watched Choke which is an unviolent & funny film, and loved it (both rated 18+).

I agree that movie ratings tend to seem inconsistent. That said I too don't enjoy much gore in the films I watch. In fact there are about four classes of movies that I enjoy:

1. Good comedy with good pedigree. (I generally won't gravitate towards a film advertised as a comedy unless I recognise some proven talent). Not too bone-headed either.
2. Intense flick where protagonist and/or someone around him/her is in constant threat (and I'm not talking about being chased by a guy with a hockey mask and a chain saw here).
3. I may/may not be a sucker for comic book movies. For instance while I thoroughly enjoyed the dark knight and iron man, and found watchmen and the x-men franchise tolerable, I hated that last spider man, and I can't ever imagine myself wasting a few dollars to see that new wolverine movie.
4. Stuff made by Pixar.

And just a little nugget to keep this post on topic: Robert Egbert thinks it sucks (although he appears to be alone).

Star Trek doesn't interest me in the slightest... but I'll probably end up seeing it with the boyfriend to keep him happy.

Ah the woes of dating a geek in disguise...

I very rarely watch television too, especially as english tv generally sucks. I don't mind violence on a small scale, but I much prefer an interesting film, such as the shankshaw redemption which has possibly the best plot I've ever seen.

well said. But the first day that I seen the seen on a film , hit a man with a knife scare me for moths. however that's all the past. and now
I'm stronger. and next year , I'm going to get my military training.

however I doesn't seen a man dieing in the real world. hope will not.
I think inside the military they show everything to make you stronger. sometimes it's the only way to be stronger to do the right.

um, you sure have some sort of romantic notion of the military "showing everything to make stronger"

having been in the military, i don't really understand what that's about. I'm afraid you're going to find that doing a bunch of push ups and sit ups is not really all that extraordinary :icon_rolleyes:

i mean, unless you're going into special forces, and learn how to rip a mans throat out with your bare hands, while living in the jungle surviving on a diet of worms and bugs.

hey wait a minute... aren't you the buddhist monk who gets all teary-eyed when someone talks about eating steak?

commented: Buddhist monk ? I don't think so. -2
commented: Couldn't help but find it funny :P +10

aren't you the buddhist monk who gets all teary-eyed when someone talks about eating steak?

Is it mandatory to make fun of his religion, because as far as I know, He isn't a monk (and Buddhist monks are the most peace loving people I know).

Is it mandatory to make fun of his religion

eh, lighten up. i make fun of every religion. christianity and scientology and mormons are my favorites to mock.

i like buddhism, personally, but that doesnt mean their particular brand of superstitions gets a free pass

eh, lighten up. i make fun of every religion. christianity and scientology and mormons are my favorites to mock.

Whatever it may be. But it shouldn't hurt others sentiments. Ain't it ? And, I don't see anything superstitious. But anyway, that's your perception. :)

hey wait a minute... aren't you the Buddhist monk who gets all teary-eyed when someone talks about eating steak?

I don't recommend and agree with eating other animals. As I knew you
can live vegetarian and non-smoking and non-drunken inside army.
There are ethics around them. and there are honer codes like you can't
seduce someone to smoking sex or drugs or alchol.

But there
is a strong approach inside the Army training. May be I will not join
, but somehow I like the training inside the army. ppl who are A\L class with me who are now in army are really S.M.A.R.T and strong. and I think join the army means you join to serve the country not to kill someone.

and I really enjoyed the star-gates tv series. Army makes a ppl
really smart.and that is my fav game too.

you join army to save the ppl , lead the ppl. not to kill or hurt them
. And I'm not a Buddisht monk , but yes my religon is Buddist but I'm agree that I'm not good in religon life , I really break many rules of the religon. :( . My idea is an open one about animal freedom. If you
like other's to salute you and respect you as a hero , then let me
ask a question , how can you be a hero if you eat innocent animal
meat ???? and that's my point.

Is it mandatory to make fun of his religion, because as far as I know, He isn't a monk (and Buddhist monks are the most peace loving people I know).

yes you are correct. and yes they are. But we are civil ppl and we have
loose religion's rules for a civilian.civil ppl have the lust in their mind.
But that doesn't mean you have right to kill any living being.
In Buddishm these are the basic 5 rules for a normal civilian , I caught
these from the wikipeadia.

1. 	I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking life. 	Pāṇātipātā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.
2. 	I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking what is not given. 	Adinnādānā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.
3. 	I undertake the training rule to abstain from sexual misconduct today. 	Kāmesu micchācāra veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.
4. 	I undertake the training rule to abstain from false speech. 	Musāvāda veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.
5. 	I undertake the training rule to abstain from drinks [and drugs] that cause heedlessness.[4] 	Surā-meraya-majja-pamādaṭṭhānā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.[5]

and a monk have more than 5 precepts. I'm not a buddisht because I break the [3] and [4] even today. but I happy cos I protect other three. I am a Buddisht listener not a buddisht cos I can say I'm a good buddihst. so I'm not a good buddisht , I'll be honest. If you can saty
without breaking any precepts then it's very good.

and I just speak about the star-gates tv series and the characters in
it. nothing more than that. and yes I agree according to the religon army is also not a good place to go , more than that you have no right to kill somebody.

aww.... now that's just precious: you think armies are for "helping people".

Well, I'm sorry to have to be the one to inform you, but the army, in whatever country, has the primary purpose of breaking shit and killing people. I'm afraid you're going to be in for a rude awakening. if you want to "help people," join the Peace Corps.

anyhow, as far as Buddhism goes, i think Lin Ji got it right:

If you meet Buddha on the road, kill him

commented: Now now, behave. -1

Hey, scru

I didn't realize you were the Net Nanny around here :icon_rolleyes:

but you shouldn't be mad at me for quoting a Buddhist Zen Master on the subject of Buddhism. Anyhow... everything i've posted is true. or, at least, nothing i've posted is false.

I'm afraid I have to retract my original opinion about this film.

commented: takes a strong man to admit he was wrong :P +9

so are you saying that, now that you've finally seen the movie, you realize how much ass it kicks?

:P

so are you saying that, now that you've finally seen the movie, you realize how much ass it kicks?

:P

Yeah; it was genuinely enjoyable and downright fun. Still not sure how I feel about the Star Trek franchise though, but I think I'll keep a more open mind from now on.

I enjoyed the movie. Yes, it changes some of the ST canon that many feel shouldn't be violated, but, hey, that's what time travel is all about.

If you're in a bookstore, look for the novel based upon this movie (or is the movie based on the novel, or are they co-equal?) The last page adds a bit of ending that was missing from the film. Or maybe it ran late in the credits when I was already on my way out. It's good for a chuckle, and closure.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.