The reputation system was patched a while ago to not affect the score when given in the Geeks' Lounge. Nevertheless, time keeps proving, again and again, that the ability of giving reputation in the Geeks' Lounge is more of an instrument of discord than anything else, were the system is abused to just cowardly show discontent, intolerance and trolling behavior without accountability.

It provides the opportunity for the most part to just "throw the stone and hid the hand".
I'll say let's eliminate it from the forums that are just for casual and not so casual conversation, but that opinions is just that, an opinion, and should not be rated by the simple fact you don't agree with it.
Instead let the offended or discomforted, the stubborn and the quick to argue make a real effort in defending his/her position, by exposing his/her argument in a real post.

scru commented: Ah but it's so comforting to hide behind a little orange dot. -1

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

But it's so useful for expressing disdain when there's nothing you can actually add to the conversation!

But it's so useful for expressing disdain when there's nothing you can actually add to the conversation!

Coming from you I can understand, since there's not much you ever add to the conversation, either way.

commented: you're such a touchy fella -1
commented: I rarely give bad rep except here :) -7
commented: Look three in a row! -4

Don't you just love Aia - he adds nothing to the conversation but spite and bile but only sees this in others.

When I have a message for a single person, I tell them - if they, then, want to complain about it in public; well, then I will publicize the message. I do not say one thing in public but something different in private.

commented: Like your edit statement! +20

Since you didn't care to express your opinion in a decent post, allow me to copy it for you, so I can make a reference to it.

> I rarely give bad rep except here - Ancient Dragon

What do you mean by "I rarely give bad rep except here"?
What prompts you to give a bad rep here?
Why is important for you to make a distinction between "here" and "over there", I suppose?

What's the result or effect you expect to achieve by giving a bad rep here?
And lastly, if you don't mind; why do you choose such a very limited form of expression to show disapproval, when it is so prompted to misunderstanding and there's not provision for rebuttal nor dialog?

Aw that's cute.

You think you're so significant (or that your opinions are so special) that everybody must give you a reason for disagreeing with you. It makes me wonder how you even get along in the real world. Do you stop every adversary and annoy them into giving you a detailed reason for their feelings of disdain (I'm surprised you still find time to come do it on the internet too)?

Seriously though, grow up.

commented: Briiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillliant. +20
commented: i disagree, but i dont really have a reason. -2

Aw that's cute.

You think you're so significant (or that your opinions are so special) that everybody must give you a reason for disagreeing with you. It makes me wonder how you even get along in the real world. Do you stop every adversary and annoy them into giving you a detailed reason for their feelings of disdain (I'm surprised you still find time to come do it on the internet too)?
Seriously though, grow up.

Give me an A; give me a S; give me another S; a H-O-L-E.
Now, say it all together. SCRU!

Go ahead and leave a negative rep to this one as well, since this might deserve it.

For those that nod to what scru so eloquently thinks he has written, I say. I must had done my job!

For the rest; I started this thread after seeing how many people were making use of the rep system to show disapproval. And it kept me thinking. Why do they do that? I can understand a rating system in the code section, every rep represent a rate on the code or lack of it, even when it is directed to the person, but in the Geek's lounge there should not be any rate, since theses are only opinions, and unless they break the rules, every opinion is as much valid as each other.
Regardless of how bizarre strikes you. And if you don't agree with it, the more reason to make your case by replying with a post, instead of cowardly rating the person.

In short I am interested in knowing if there are others with similar thought process on the matter, or if you would be willing to consider making a real post next time you want to disagree with someone.

commented: You bet your SCRU. -1
commented: i dont know what this issue is, but i'm sure you're right. +10

a rating system in the code section

What is good code? What is bad code? The only code that matters is in fact code that works!
I agree with you that the rep system could need some improvement, but as with every rep system(eg. in sports etc.) this can become very tricky. Believe me(IMHO) Ancient Dragon does not give bad rep because he likes to do that. Have had remarks from him without recieving rep.(Wonder how they do it, whish I could do it too) I'm not on this site for harvesting as much rep as possible, I'm here to help people(if I can), not judge them.

commented: very true. i wholeheartedly agree. -2

Given the exercise I have executed in this thread and this thread,
I must admit that my original thought about it were wrong. There's not possible way of accommodating discord without derailing the original post, and offering a defense mechanism for those receiving a negative rep is not possible without robbing from the intended purpose of the OP.

While I still think the rep system is abused and misused in the Geek's lounge, a quick experiment shows me that my thoughts about remedying it was flawed. It is not fair to the Original Poster.

My apologies to those that felt uncomfortable with the subject.

Give me an A; give me a S; give me another S; a H-O-L-E.
Now, say it all together. SCRU!

Lame. Very lame. You could have left out the name-calling.

I put this in a real post just for you.

commented: <-- this is an arbitrary yellow dot -2

Since you didn't care to express your opinion in a decent post, allow me to copy it for you, so I can make a reference to it.

What do you mean by "I rarely give bad rep except here"?
What prompts you to give a bad rep here?
Why is important for you to make a distinction between "here" and "over there", I suppose?

What's the result or effect you expect to achieve by giving a bad rep here?
And lastly, if you don't mind; why do you choose such a very limited form of expression to show disapproval, when it is so prompted to misunderstanding and there's not provision for rebuttal nor dialog?

Rep here in Geeks' Lounge means nothing at all, it doesn't affect your overall rep points. All it does is put a yellow or green dot on the post. Those of us who have high rep counts need to be a lot more judicious about when to give bad rep (in the other forums) because we could easily destroy someone's rep count which would be very difficult for him to recover. Anywhere except here in the Community Center I will normally make a post explaining my disagreement instead of giving bad rep. I'm a little more liberal with giving out good rep when the member deserves it.

To be honest the only reason I gave you bad rep in this thread because you were complaining about the rep system. Had you complained on any of the other forums I would not have given you that for the above mentioned reasons.

commented: Amen +20
commented: Good clarification about the rep system :) +8

Ancient Dragon>To be honest...
I am glad your want to be honest. I always expect honesty in dealing with my fellow men and women.

Ancient Dragon> ...the only reason I gave you bad rep in this thread because you were complaining about the rep system. Had you complained on any of the other forums I would not have given you that for the above mentioned reasons.

I am wondering if you missed my intentions. I wasn't complaining about the rep system, I was expressing an opinion.
I wasn't concern about getting the silly bad reps, nor here, nor anywhere, nor from you nor from anyone.
I asked you a couple questions about it, expecting answers, but you never cared to address them. It doesn't matter, probably you were being you. And most likely, your reasons would had not shared any light to it.
After watching in silence this forum for sometime, it just stroke me as odd the way people instigate others with scornful comments hidden in little "yellow" (for coward) dots. Just because... they can do it.

I was more interested in knowing if there was a way of being more fair. But as I quickly discovered, it is impossible, without robbing from the Original Poster intention of dialog. And I thought, that would REALLY be unfair.

The funny thing is I knew which one of you all would answer the call. As expected, you all didn't disappoint. Except Ezzaral that was late to the party. I thought he would join a little earlier. And another one I would not mention since he never joined. Too bad.

As far as I am concern I am done with this thread, you guys can keep it open and enjoy pointing the finger of scorn to your heart's content. My work's done.

commented: Well said. +10

hai guise.

what y'all doing?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.