Great poetry is always written by somebody straining to go beyond what he can do.

I have never made a friend from whom I could not separate, and I have never made an enemy that I could not approach.

“Many of life's failures are men who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”

"Everything will be ok in the end, if it's not ok then it's not the end." - Patrick Starr

“You know I've always considered women to be people.”

― George R.R. Martin

“Many of life's failures are men who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”

I am thinking of the fellow who invented 6up.

After you bought a replacement for something you've lost and searched for everywhere, you'll find the original.

"I'm always right. I have only once been wrong. That's when I thought I was wrong."

After you bought a replacement for something you've lost and searched for everywhere, you'll find the original.

Losing one glove is certainly painful,
but nothing compared to the pain,
of losing one,
throwing away the other,
and finding the first one again.

• Piet Hein
commented: Great! +0

"Relying on the government to protect your privacy is like asking a peeping tom to install your window blinds."
... John Perry Barlow

"Unless a president can protect the privacy of the advice he gets, he cannot get the advice he needs."
... Richard M. Nixon

"The worst thing about being famous is the invasion of your privacy."
... Justin Timberlake

Note: Now we are finding out that we don't even need to be famous!

If you keep your mouth shut, the flies won't get in (Mexican proverb)

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. - Oscar Ameringer

Member Avatar for diafol

I can't help but be amused by the definition of nationalism since nationalism has been a cause of many civil wars and revolutions. Nationalism is the blind belief that everything outside of one's nation is a detriment to it and must be kept out or made the same as their nation - hence its links to racism, xenophobia, isolationism, expansionism, and obsession with soveignty.

Depends on your point of view. A patriot is usually a member of that happy state. A nationalist is not always the extremist, war-mongering imbecile that you portray. A nationalist can sometimes be a freedom fighter, battling against oppression, battling against an invader, a foreign puppet government. Are these just names we subscribe to people we like and then to people we don't?

How would you term the Kurds? Pre-war Israelis/Palestinian Jews? OKay, you can't lump the whole population into one of those categories, but you could argue that they were dirty stinking nationalists if they attacked your ally's stuff, but true blue patriots it they were fighting against a common enemy.

People who accept things blindly are not nationalists, they're just stupid.

patriotism is the goal

What's the goal?

I would call myself a nationalist, but due to the political structure and history of the UK, I don't think I could call myself a patriot. I'm not a xenophobe, I have no need to expand my nation, no need to isolate myself from the rest of Europe (or the World), but I would like to see an independent national government. Stereotypes and labels. Patriots can afford to be patriots - how very cosy.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Samuel Johnsom

The highest I've ever achieved with my drawing skills was a burst of laughter from my father.

-- the daughter of Peyo (creator of the Smurfs) explaining why she isn't the one that continued the artistic work on the series after her father died.

"When the character of a man is not clear to you, look at his friends."
... Japanese Proverb

"Every photo he takes, appears instantly on my computer.
what a douche."

—spontaneously quoted by myself.

behind this quote there's a bit of a story: a tourist in Dubai got mugged, thief stole her smartphone, thinking himself pretty smart. He's been using that phone for himself, and being taking pictures of himself and his friends, obviously not realizing that the phone was still uploading those pictures automatically to the tourists pc.

not only that, but the moron found her info (name and such) through the phone, and tried to hit on the girl.

(the quote above is the girls ;) )

she's been keeping track of our heroes exploits and experiences in the world of photography. for all those who want to see a real dumb-*** at work: Click Here

Man plans, God laughs.

As long as organized and powerful churches, pretending to hold the keys of heaven and hell, denounce every person as an outcast and criminal who thinks for himself and denies their authority, the world will be filled with hatred and suffering. - Robert G. Ingersol

Putt's Law:
"Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."

“There’s class warfare, all right – but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.” Warren Buffett

"My karma ran over your dogma."
-- Tasso Apfelstein

The only thing that will make you happy is being happy with who you are, and not who people think you are.

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

@Jim, i said the same thing to my teacher when I was in elementary school :D but excellent quote.

"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?+"
... Albert Einstein

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.