It's not the nuts who are the greatest threat to democracy. As history has shown us over and over, it's the unbridled power of the state over its citizens.

Aaron Sorkin from The West Wing

The price of freedom keeps going up but the quality keeps deteriorating. - Anonymous

"History is becoming more and more a race between education and catastrophe."

H. G. Wells

Member Avatar for iamthwee

But the most important count I do has nothing to do with work. It's the number of days since April 4, 1999. As of this morning, that's 5,185. The bigger that number gets, the more it frightens me, because I know all it takes is one drink to go back to zero. Most people see fear as a weakness. It can be. Sometimes for my job, I have to put fear in other people. I know that's not right. But if I'm honest, like the fourth step asks us to be, I have to be ruthless, because failure is not an option. The same goes for my sobriety. I have to be ruthless with myself. I have to use my fear. It makes me stronger. Like everyone in this room, I can't control who I am. But I can control the zero. Fuck the zero

-House of cards, great movie

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
... Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Saw this one one the web so I guess it's a quote

A gaggle of geese
A murder of crows
A bribe of politicians

“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”
- Arnold Schwarzenegger

The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society.

Edward Bernays

1. Hypocrisy
    When the Way is forgotten
    Duty and justice appear;
    Then knowledge and wisdom are born
    Along with hypocrisy.

When harmonious relationships dissolve
    Then respect and devotion arise;
    When a nation falls to chaos
    Then loyalty and patriotism are born.

TaoDeChing - Lao Tze

Member Avatar for iamthwee

^^Nice...

There was a young man who, you know,
He wanted to make a lot of money
And so he went to this Guru, right.

And he told the Guru,
“You know I wanna be on the same level you’re on.”

And so The Guru said,
“If you wanna be on the same level I’m on,
I’ll meet tomorrow,
At the beach, at 4 AM.”

He’s like,
“The beach?
I said I wanna make money. I don’t wanna swim.”

Guru said,
“If you wanna make money,
I’ll meet you tomorrow. 4 AM.”

So the young man got there 4 AM.
He all ready to rock n’ roll.
Got on a suit.
Should have worn shorts.

The old man grabs his hand and said,
“How bad do you wanna be successful?”

He said, “Real bad”.
[The Guru] He said, “Walk on out in the water.”
So he walks out into the water.

Watch this.
When he walks out into the water it goes waist deep.

So he’s like,
“This guy crazy.
I wanna make money and he got me out here swimming.
I didn’t ask to be a lifeguard.
I wanna make money.”

So he [The Guru] said, “Come out a little further.”
[He] walked out a little further.

Then he had it right around this area,
The shoulder area.

“So this old man crazy.
He making money,
But he crazy.”

So he [The Guru] said,
“Come on out a little further.”

He came out a little further,
It was right at his mouth,
My man like,
“I’m not about to go back in.
This guy out of his mind.”

So the old man said,
“I thought you said you wanted to be successful?”

He said, “I do.”
He [The Guru] said, “Walk a little further.”

He came,
Dropped his head in,
Held him down,
Hold him down,
My man getting scratchy,
Holding him down,
He [The Guru] had him held down,
Just before my man was about to pass out,
He [The Guru] raised him up.

He [The Guru] said, “I got a question for you.”
He [The Guru] said, “When you were underwater, what did you want to do?”

He said, “I wanted to breathe.”

He [The Guru] told the guy; He [The Guru] said,
“When you want to succeed,
As bad as you want to breathe,
Then you’ll be successful.” -Eric Thomas

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.”
... Oscar Wilde

"Professional atheletes are in many ways our culture's holy men:
they give themselves over to a pursuit, endure great privation and pain to actualize themselves at it,and enjoy a relationship to perfection that we admire, reward and LOVE to watch, even though we have no desire to walk that road ourselves. In other words, they do it "for" us, sacrifice themselves for our(we imagine) redemption." -David Foster Wallace

I think people like the Kasdashians, etc. are the new First Estate (holy class). Unlike professional athletes who at least are skilled at something, these other parasites seem to exist only to accept our money and our adulation.

commented: lol =D +0

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me"

~ Fred Allen

"Yippee-ki-yay, motherf&$)#*."
Bruce Willis

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

"I would have written you a shorter letter, but I did not have the time."
... Blaise Pascal

I would have included 5 pounds with this letter but I'd already sealed the envelope.

Mrs. Shufflewick (perhaps happygeek will remember who this is)

“I always like walking in the rain, so no one can see me crying.” - Charlie Chaplin

“We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here.We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?” – Richard Dawkins

"No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up."

Lily Tomlin

Who is healthy has many dreams, who is sick has only one.

Pascale Naessens

“Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is.”
~~ Will Rogers

"Finally, a study that backs up everything I've always said about confirmation bias." - Kevin Slane

Unix was not designed to stop its users from doing stupid things, as that would also stop them from doing clever things.

Doug Gwyn

The first step in understanding everything is understanding something.

me

Far too many people are looking for the right person instead of trying to be the right person.

Gloria Steinem

"A fool with a tool is still a fool."
~~ Roland Hirsch

False opinions are like false money, struck first of all by guilty men and thereafter circulated by honest people who perpetuate the crime without knowing what they are doing

Joseph de Maistre

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.