Even a complete whack-job can be right occasionally. To wit...

... if devotion to truth is the hallmark of morality, then there is no greater, nobler,
more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility
of thinking.

... the alleged short-cut to knowledge, which is faith, is only a short-circuit
destroying the mind.

• Ayn Rand

“I have offended God and mankind, by doing so little with my life.”

• Leonardo Da Vinci’s last words

"You may be able to drive a tractor but you will never be able to handle a Ferrari properly.”

• Enzo Ferrari

This statement was directed at a man who in response designed and built his own car. His name was Ferruccio Lamborghini.

I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.

• Lily Tomlin

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funny bone.

• Reba McEntire

An old man said "Erasers are made for those who make mistakes." A youth replied "Erasers are made for those who are willing to correct their mistakes."

• Unknown

The Unknown

As we know,
There are known knowns,
There are things we know we know,
We also know
There are known unknowns,
That is to say
We know there are some things
We do not know.
But there are also unknown unknowns,
The ones we don't know
We don't know.
----Feb. 12, 2002, Donald Rumsfeld, U.S. Secretary of Defence

I last saw a cartoon where even Donald Duck likes to change his name.

Beauty is not in the face. Beauty is a light in the heart.

• Kahlil Gibran

So far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain.
And so far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.

Albert Einstein in a lecture to the Prussian Academy 1922

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

• Theodore Roosevelt

There's nothing more scary than watching ignorance in action.

• Tom Smothers

"One day you’re going to appreciate everything I did for you. But I’ll not be with you that day."

• Anurag Prakash Ray

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

All the problems we face today in the United States can be traced to an unenlightened immigration policy on the part of the American Indian.

• Pat Paulsen

You can't con people, at least not for long. You can create excitement; you can do wonderful promotion and get all kinds of press, and you can throw in a little hyperbole. But if you don't deliver the goods people will eventually catch on.

• Donald J. Trump (The Art of the Deal)

Why waste time discovering the truth when you can so easily create it?

• David Baldacci

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.

• Edith Sitwell

Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it, "all men are created equal, except negroes." When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read, "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretense of loving liberty — to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocrisy.

• Abraham Lincoln

“The greatest tragedy in mankind’s entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.”

• Arthur C. Clarke

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for freedom of thought which they seldom use

• Kierkegaard

Half of the U.S. population reads a newspaper. Half of the U.S. population votes. Let’s hope it is the same half.

• Gore Vidal

In nature, there are neither rewards or punishments – there are consequences.

• Robert Ingersoll

Half of the U.S. population reads a newspaper. Half of the U.S. population votes. Let’s hope it is the same half.

Ironic. Half the UK population reads the Daily Mail (1), half voted in the Brexit election. Unfortunately they were the same half.

(1) not actually a newspaper, just a daily hate filled xenophobic lying rant

commented: Sadly correct on both counts +0

The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy; and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children, and the children yet unborn. And the pity of it is, that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

• Rod Serling

I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

• Carl Sagan

When you're attacking FBI agents because you're under criminal investigation, you're losing.

• Sarah Sanders (Nov 3, 2016)

The amount of energy needed to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it.

• Alberto Brandolini

Do plenty of thinking whenever you've the chance and it will become a habit. It will get easier and easier as time rolls on. In fact, a day may come when it can be done without pain.

• Eric Frank Russell (...And Then There Were None)

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.

• Samuel Adams
commented: way to single handedly keep a thread alive :-P Keep on keeping on :-D +0

HAPPINESS is not the absence of problems, it is the ability to deal with them.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.