If I'm designing something like a game with characters that uses the mouse would I choose c or C++? Also is the mouse in windows written in c or C++? I would guess C++ but I could be wrong because I'm very new to the world of C languages and programming. I hope someone who has been in this field longer than I have could give me the answer to my question :).

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

What sort of game?
There are plenty of simple "web" games which can be written in Javascript or Flash. Both of which are perfectly capable of reacting to mouse movement and clicks to make something happen.

Or you could use Java if you wanted a bit of extra "ooph" to your processing speed.

> Also is the mouse in windows written in c or C++?
Neither, or both. It doesn't matter one way or the other.

I'm sorry if my question seems odd. I know there are plenty of web games that can be written in Actionscript (flash). However I'm looking to build something for the computer like an exe file. Which language would be a better choice? Yes it is going to be graphical because it will be a game.

Use which ever language you like the best. If you download the DirectX SDK from M$ it contains several example programs and I think they are written in c++.

>>Also is the mouse in windows written in c or C++?
There are no win32 api functions written in C++. M$ coders may have used c++ somewhere in the operating system, but all functions exposed to the outside world are C.

Who would write a game in C? Why do you hate yourself?

W.e. I guess.

If I'm designing something like a game

If you are designing, why bother the language?
Something like a game?
So it doesn't even have to be a game, does it?
The language is not that important, it is what you are trying to achieve that is.
Perhaps this will help:
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread157453.html

> If I'm designing something like a game
Are you designing a game, or is this just a metaphor?

Also, where along the scale from "tic-tac-toe" to "quake" are you aiming at?
Put bluntly, if you don't need the performance edge that C++ would give you, why use it?

I'm looking at designing something not as graphical as quake but much more advanced than tic-tac-toe. Is the references to games a metaphor? It is somewhat, I plan to design games in the future. My main question has to do with the mouse. What language does it use?

>My main question has to do with the mouse. What language does it use?
You can write a mouse cursor (I assume that's what you mean) in a lot of different languages.

Wonderful project! Study C++ in detail and then move to GUI programming with C++. I expect your first game out in about five years.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.