It may offer a functional distribution of Linux, but the Linux kit for PlayStation 2 is also very much about making PlayStation 2 hardware accessible for learning how to develop games, and in the past year that the Linux kit has been available, we are pleased to say that several universities in the US, Europe, and Australia, and other educational groups have introduced Linux for PlayStation 2 facilities and teaching modules as a part of their degrees and courses.

This area of the site is dedicated to news and information about universities and other groups that we know of that are using the Linux kit for teaching graphics, console game development, and other related material.

Source : http://playstation2-linux.com/education/

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

there's also linux for xbox, used for game servers.

If i were to install linux on my ps2, is there any way for me to still play games on it? and also, would i need a hard drive installed in my ps2 in order to install linux?

If i were to install linux on my ps2, is there any way for me to still play games on it? and also, would i need a hard drive installed in my ps2 in order to install linux?

You would need a hard drive to install Linux on a PS2, but you can still play games with it after installing Linux.

do i need a special hard drive for my playstation? or can i use a desktop hd?

how great would a linux livecd for ps2 be?

how great would a linux livecd for ps2 be?

That's a good idea, except that the PS2's probably not got enough RAM -- remember, it's not a desktop PC.

doesnt it have like 14, 24 or 48 mb i think thats hiow much ram it is...

i think it can be done (high custom kernel and xfce?)

doesnt it have like 14, 24 or 48 mb i think thats hiow much ram it is...

32 MB. It would run awfully slow....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.