Whats the general opinion here: Are all programmers stoners?
(If my colloquialism is lost across borders i'm talking about marijuana)

Some two-bit sales person came and chirped me the other day that sales will always be the more powerful branch of the industry because they're the deal makers, they're more presentable and confident and they don't spend their time smoking as much weed as possible...

Now I've met many programmers, and most of them do smoke, but I'm just curious what the stats are the world over.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Whats the general opinion here: Are all programmers stoners?
(If my colloquialism is lost across borders i'm talking about marijuana)

Some two-bit sales person came and chirped me the other day that sales will always be the more powerful branch of the industry because they're the deal makers, they're more presentable and confident and they don't spend their time smoking as much weed as possible...

Now I've met many programmers, and most of them do smoke, but I'm just curious what the stats are the world over.

You wouldn't happen to be Indian by any chance?

Negative. Incorrect hemisphere, but that is irrelevant. I'm looking for a global perspective on this, to see whether it's a local phenomenon or not.

definitely local.

I've worked in UK/I, Russia, East Europe and Israel, and such an assumption is never even made

I was a coder for over 20 years and know no one who smoked marijuana. Tobacco yes, marijuana no. And it makes sense to me -- can't program when stoned or intoxicated.

commented: I can prove you wrong on that. -1
commented: Very true. +18

this is a bizarre correlation that you've made, that most programmers are "stoners".

i don't really know many programmers who are "stoners". most of them are intellectual types (or even downright "nerds") who aren't especially prone to partying.

granted *some* of them can be grouped in what you would classify as the "stoner culture", but those tend to be more of the unprofessional, undereducated, overgrown skript kiddies --- you know, the self-taught, PHP webpage jockeys who spend more time playing MMORPGs than producing code.

now, I'll admit: maybe my opinion is colored by my area of the country. I'm in Seattle, where two things may be quite different from your area of the US Midwest.

(1) we have a huge professional programming community (think: The Software Giant in Redmond), most of whom are highly educated and motivated.

(2) we also have a culture that doesn't much give a damn about who smokes a little pot in their private time. Marijuana use has been all but decriminalized here, so most people don't get their drawers all in a bunch about it.

Disclaimer: I don't smoke pot, and I don't much care whether anyone else does or doesn't.

now, I'll admit: maybe my opinion is colored by my area of the country. I'm in Seattle, where two things may be quite different from your area of the US Midwest.

Actually I'm surprised WA's flag doesn't have a pot leaf on it.

You can't walk around the streets of a small town and not be enveloped by the smell of some potent weed.
Can't go to a gas station or convenient stores in some areas/time of year, can't be be near the mouth of college kids, can't go to the library entrance(across the street from a police station), all without being enveloped.

Oh yeah, it's also our biggest cash crop: http://www.keprtv.com/news/local/19226814.html

Yeah, and Hempfest is coming up soon. I wonder if Seattle's former Chief of Police, Norm Stamper, will be there speaking on behalf of marijuana legalization/reform.... again.

:D

I'm my school, I've never seen a programmer smoke (there is a large number of smokers in our school). We'll, I guess if you count one of the "programmers" in CS class who can't make a simple prime number tester after 5 months without copying someone elses code, than I know about 3 "programmers" who smoke. They all failed with the other half the class.

commented: aha +12
commented: Yes, I said smoking pot and programming don't mix :) +36

i made a mistake. i said the OP who suggested that programmers were stoners was from the u.s. midwest... that's not correct. Menster is apparently from Australia.

so let me make my own overly gross generalization:

the reason you think all programmers are "stoners", Menster, is because you're from Australia. and as the rest of the world knows, there's no significant tech development coming out of Australia.

Now i can't say if that's the cause or the effect of you guys being a bunch of potheads, but there must be some connection.

I don't know whether programmers are stoners, but I feel pretty confident that successful ones aren't stoned WHILE programming. It takes too much concentration and attention to detail, and it's hard work. Three things you don't feel like doing while stoned: concentrating, paying attention to details, and working hard.

I've heard an awful lot of stereotypes about programmers, but never that one. My guess is that the percentage of programmers who are stoners is much less than the percentage of people in general who are stoners, no matter where you are in the world.

commented: true dat. +12

>>I can prove you wrong on that. - MosaicFuneral
Ok smartass, how can you prove that I don't know any programmers show smoke dope. And I'm not the only one who claims smoking pot and programming don't mix. Just read post #9 here -- the pot smokers flunked the programming class.

commented: you get 'em! :) +12

>>I can prove you wrong on that. - MosaicFuneral
Ok smartass, how can you prove that I don't know any programmers show smoke dope. And I'm not the only one who claims smoking pot and programming don't mix. Just read post #9 here -- the pot smokers flunked the programming class.

I can't prove that. Nor was my statement aimed at that part of your post. Rather the last part:

- can't program when stoned or intoxicated.

If you want me disprove that, send me: $40 for rolling papers, $350 for an ounce, and $200 for microbrews.

$350 a lid?

holy shit, you kids these days.

:icon_rolleyes:

If you want me disprove that, send me: $40 for rolling papers, $350 for an ounce, and $200 for microbrews.

And that would only prove I'm an idiot for doing that :)

Well, at least that answers my question :) Not an international stereotype then.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.