in our this months newsletter i saw that "essential" became a featured poster as well as a featured coder. if i compare number of his posts or reputation points or solved threads, i think Ramy or Scott(sknake) must be granted these before than him.

I think the problem is, neither Dani nor HappyGeek had some c# experience and these guys mostly post on c# forum. So basically they are not realized by the administrators.

I dont know but this is not fair, and this will demotivate our valuable posters(i dont include myself at this point as i still cant keep my promise about Narue, my disease will be cured hopefully)

And other thing, i PM both Dani and HappyGeek to have mark as solved enforcement right to mark some threads as solved if i am hundred percent sure that they are solved like in msdn forums. none of them even replied back.

Ramy Mahrous commented: You ask something very politely +8
jephthah commented: it's not a damn popularity contest. quit whining. -2
kvprajapati commented: Jephthah, It's bad manner. No one is here for what you said. +6
iamthwee commented: I like the comment about narue especially. +21

Recommended Answers

All 45 Replies

I also nominate Danny (ddanbe) and adatapost, please take this issue into your consideration.

commented: You're too kind. +7

Yeah you are right, i thought in terms of join date as well, that is why i didnt mention adapost. ddanbe is already featured poster as far as i remembered. What i like about Scott(sknake) is he is very stubborn in solving threads. He tries many times until he get it solved. He does not get bored easily. i think these are good qualifications for a programmer.

You know those little bubbles don't mean much. Unless you're Mega Admin of ALL Awesomeness.

looking at your reputation, you are right :)

I'm going to write a lot of code snippets.

code snippets are not as well indexed as forum threads are by google. and code snippets does not allow attachments. and finally they are not as noticable as forum threads are. instead of writing a snippet, it is better to attach the solution as .zip file as i usually do.
compare the number of views of snippets and threads and you will understand which one is more useful. i had snippets and posts with the same content, posts won.

if i compare number of his posts or reputation points or solved threads, i think Ramy or Scott(sknake) must be granted these before than him.

If the criteria for being featured are post count, solved thread count, and reputation points then there are a lot of people in line before essential, or the two you mentioned. There has to be some other criteria, because look at people like Salem who aren't featured but blow everyone else away.

I dont know but this is not fair, and this will demotivate our valuable posters

I think the valuable posters are more interested in being valuable than being recognized as valuable.

commented: Nice:I think the valuable posters are more interested in being valuable than being recognized as valuable. +7

Just explain what is special about "essential" then?

Just explain what is special about "essential" then?

Everyone is special. :D It's not like I pick the featured people, but if there are tons who are active, smart, and well liked, it makes sense to look for the ones that stand out somehow.

Maybe the 'every second reply is supported by helpful coding' part of the nomination made essential stand out from the list of clones.

If the criteria for being featured are post count, solved thread count, and reputation points

then what??? looool what's the criteria?? I swear I'm not looking for any award from any kind but just I wanted to comment on this line :) I just need to nominate Danny he deserves it.

As I already said in earlier threads, I don't care so much about all those points and stars etc. They are a nice thing to have though (it's a sort of "stimulus" to carry on), but they are not essential.
More important is that I can help people(especially the newbies) and in the process of doing so help myself (starting learning C# about a year ago) If you can explain something to someone you learn yourself!
And also very important : DANIWEB is a nice site to be on with lots of friendly people!

then what??? looool what's the criteria??

Don't ask me, I just joined Daniweb. :(

I didnt say that being a featured poster or coder(only "essential" for the time being) is something important. What i say is that if this thing is given to someone, there should be some justifications in the name of being a fair forum environment. How can in a website with 600.000 members, there is only one featured coder and that is "essential" ?, this i question.

jesus shut up already. no one gives a flying shit that your best friends didnt get "featured."

commented: -4 -1
commented: I am very unhappy with Daniweb's bad-word-filter. It let you type shit (emm.. literally) and didn't even replace it with * ! -2

jesus :D, why do you call me jesus?
if my best friends dont get featured i am going to organize them to leave for a better c# forum where their skills are appreciated.

anyway but jephthah you miss my point. i dont say they have to have that featured thing. even you dont have it with your significant reputation points. But i question the reasoning behind "essentials" getting featured.

jesus shut up already. no one gives a flying shit that your best friends didnt get "featured."

You could have expressed your jealousy in a number of other ways without cussing on the forum....

commented: Don't fan the flames. -1
commented: waaah? ;) +12
commented: Well said. +6

you miss my point ... even you dont have it with your significant reputation points.

there are plenty of people with more rep points than me who haven't been featured. and rep points are just as subjective and arbitrary as being selected to get a "featured poster" bubble. i mean, look at you: you were "featured". that proves how meaningless it is.

But i question the reasoning behind "essentials" getting featured.

it is you who miss the point. this is not a democracy. and featured poster is not some "American Idol"-like popularity contest that you get to vote on. the owners of this site can run this place any way they choose to do so, without soliciting your opinion or asking your approval.

Why'd they pick essentials? The real question is: why should you even care? What is it about essentials that makes you lose sleep at night? Personally, i dont care who gets featured or not. All i care about is becoming Super Mod.

i am going to organize ... a better c# forum where their skills are appreciated.

yeah okay, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out :)

commented: Well said. +13
commented: omg man. harsh. +6

>if my best friends dont get featured i am going to organize them to leave for a better c# forum where their skills are appreciated.
Oh please, do you actually care about helping people or do you just want everyone to see you as somebody who helps people, there's a difference.

>All i care about is becoming Super Mod.
I think I have more chance of watching hell freeze over than seeing you become a super mod. :D

If you really want a better chance of getting some (good) popularity, be nice and helpful, and stop requesting.

commented: and when hell does freeze over, you better look out! :P +12

@William. Serkan asks something politely, doesn't he? and your reply is somewhat harsh please don't offense people. everyone in the community is part of it, you == me == Serkan == Salem == Dani, no one can let this community stand up without others help, if anyone criticize me it doesn't mean I'm good or bad, it means how others see me and I should take his words in my consideration and I debate this is the best thread Serkan wrote not because the subject has my name, I don't care but what I need to say kindly, don't offense someone did dozen of threads marked as SOLVED and when he asks and no one answers he posts the full answer + sample application.

@William. Serkan asks something politely, doesn't he? and your reply is somewhat harsh please don't offense people. everyone in the community is part of it, you == me == Serkan == Salem == Dani, no one can let this community stand up without others help, if anyone criticize me it doesn't mean I'm good or bad, it means how others see me and should take his words in my consideration and I debate this is the best thread Serkan wrote not because the subject has my name, I don't care but what I need to say don't offense someone did dozen of threads marked as SOLVED and when he ask and no one answers he posts the full answer + sample application.

I don't see how my post was harsh, and i'm not saying we don't deserve credit for good posts, but requesting for your friends to be featured shows you're more interested in a badge rather than just helping.

if my best friends dont get featured i am going to organize them to leave for a better c# forum where their skills are appreciated.

I'm not trying to start slinging shit here, but is this a mutual agreement or are you just putting words into your friends' mouths? Hmm... by the way this isn't a union thing or nothing. Please feel free to leave if you are fed up helping people.

I don't see how my post was harsh, and i'm not saying we don't deserve credit for good posts, but requesting for your friends to be featured shows you're more interested in a badge rather than just helping.

your post wasnt harsh. it was honest and insightful, and far more gentle than I'll ever be. Mine was harsh. and here's one that's harsher:

The problem is, Serkan is always coming around here whining and complaining about his rep points, now he's complaining about his friends not getting a "featured" bubble

the reason his rep suffers, is because too many people are revolted by his continual whining, along with his overly creepy behavior towards certain female members.

if he quits acting like this place is some popularity contest, and sticks to assisting people with code problems, he might actually begin to be respected again.

i swear there's less drama at a middle school girl's slumber party than there is in a typical Serkan thread.

>All i care about is becoming Super Mod.

if you become a super mod, the first thing you would do would be to ban me from DaniWeb :)

look what is the problem guys.
First of all, if someone solves a problem of a member in daniweb, there is no way to state that that particular post of that member solved it. look at msdn. although many members post answers, the asker can mark whatever he wants as a solution to his problem.
dont you think this is a motivator? reputation points then can be associated with this solved threads. look at how daniweb does, Ramy or Scott solves the problem, someone come and say hi in the same thread, but according to this system the one who say hi is regarded in the same manner and incremented by 1 in his solved threads.
Stupid!!

That is why maybe, being a featured poster or coder would matter, if at least it is done properly.

>dont you think this is a motivator?
Not so much for me, I get my motivation simply because... I like helping people, it makes me feel good :D

I pay absolutely no attention to solved threads, because I agree, it doesn't work very well. Getting a badge isn't important for most members either, and maybe you should think why you are really here - to get help or give help.

Consider being a featured poster/coder a reward, you're lucky to get one, you're not entitled to one because you think you deserve it.

commented: yup +21

f you become a super mod, the first thing you would do would be to ban me from DaniWeb

hardly. because then who would i have to beat up on in geek's lounge?

:P

You don't beat up anyone you just talking much by not good way, I feel that Dani is your home and you're the one who says who should do what, if your don't like Serkan don't offense him personally and reply in a good manner PLEASE!

commented: kum-bah-YAHHHH m'lord... kum-bah-yah.... +12
commented: 'Don't offense him' it should be 'don't offend him' -4

there are plenty of people with more rep points than me who haven't been featured. and rep points are just as subjective and arbitrary as being selected to get a "featured poster" bubble. i mean, look at you: you were "featured". that proves how meaningless it is.

it is you who miss the point. this is not a democracy. and featured poster is not some "American Idol"-like popularity contest that you get to vote on. the owners of this site can run this place any way they choose to do so, without soliciting your opinion or asking your approval.

Why'd they pick essentials? The real question is: why should you even care? What is it about essentials that makes you lose sleep at night? Personally, i dont care who gets featured or not. All i care about is becoming Super Mod.

yeah okay, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out :)

Oh snap!

I feel that Dani is your home and you're the one who says who should do what

this is no more "my" home than yours. do you see a "mod" bubble by my name? no. i don't even have a "featured" bubble, like you and serkan.

i just am blunt, and have little tolerance for bullshit. but that's just my opinion, and I've already been warned once for being an unpleasant ass. I'm trying to moderate my tone, but I'll still probably get banned before the year is out.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.