I see folks replying to threads with quotes that have the name of the original poster included - they have the form

nameOfPoster> quote

I've been crawling around the faq for the past hour or so, and haven't found any really newbie guides for using all the neat stuff that's available for doing that, for using code tags, etc. I'm sorry for this really dumb question - although I'm old in years, I'm very new to online forums and would like to be able to use this one sort of intelligently. Have I been looking in all the wrong places?

Thanks so much!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I see folks replying to threads with quotes that have the name of the original poster included - they have the form

nameOfPoster> quote [...]

I use that form in conversations when I need to bring focus to a particular portion of the quote. And I use the name from origin so people don't have to follow the linear sequence of the conversation and still catch up quickly.

Yeah - you and others use that form, and I look at it with awe and admiration, because I think it serves the purpose perfectly. My problem is that I don't know how to do it! :-(

Is there any chance that if and when you have the time, you could tell me how - preferably in words of one syllable? Because maybe I'm kind of dumb ...

I would like to stick yet another response on the Leaders thread, and would really like to be able to use that form. And I seriously need a break from trying to memorize the most common wavelengths used by the different sensors on the many meteorological satellites up there ...

PetuniaRose> Is there any chance that if and when you have the time, you could tell me how

Copy and paste.

nameOfPoster> quote

I've been crawling around the faq for the past hour or so, and haven't found any really newbie guides for using all the neat stuff that's available for doing that, for using code tags, etc. I'm sorry for this really dumb question - although I'm old in years, I'm very new to online forums and would like to be able to use this one sort of intelligently. Have I been looking in all the wrong places?

Thanks so much!

All you have to do is hit the "Reply W/Quote" button.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.