Is there a way to know who gave you reputation points???

Recommended Answers

All 38 Replies

Unless they sign their message, no.

I usually sign them, but in case you were wondering, I gave you the one for the example project.

I think it would be nice if the username would be written somewhere.

Thanks Camatose :)

I've read in other threads that some people have had bad rep with messages like "I hate that guy". Maybe If their name would appear, there would be less reviews like that.

Sure, but would they be honest?

We cant guaranty anything. People are what they are.

what is the rep formula anyway, what makes up those little green squares? Just curious...

In fact, while I´m being curious, I still haven´t figured out what all the symbols are all over the page. I´ve found some in the faqs but all aren´t explained...

Is there an overall explanation somewhere??

I think it's important for the usernames to remain anonymous. They're supposed to be a more unbiased feature, and I think anonymity is important to community building without childish slander.

Basically, when someone gives you positive feedback, your reputation is increased. When someone gives you negative feedback, your reputation is decreased. The amount that your rep is increased/decreased is based on the amount of reputation-altering power that the person who rated your post has. Reputation-altering power is a combination of your postcount, your own rep, and whether you're a DaniWeb staff member.

So does the rep points start at 0 or 10? When I had my first rep 2 weeks ago I had 11 points.

Also, when somebody has some stars under his name, what does it mean?

The stars are basically how many posts you make, you get one after so many posts. Not sure where the mark is for the first star.

I dont ever bother giving any reputation points to anybody. I dont think anybody gives me any either. But who knows, maybe they have gave me reputation points.

I've found you can't give rep points to anyone twice in a row either.

I've found you can't give rep points to anyone twice in a row either.

There are certain limits put in place on the whole points system to avoid abuse such as boosting Rep Points by getting friends to repeatedly "pad" your positive Rep, or "Rep bombing" someone with negative points because you have some childish grudge against them. Limiting how frequently (note that I said "how frequently", and not "how many times") you can give someone points is part of this.

Here's a link to an older discussion we had about the whole deal:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/showthread.php?t=856&page=2&pp=30&highlight=reputation+points

Hey DMR, I'm just curious about how many rep points you got to have 2 green boxes for your repution. Do you remember?

haha, I just found out you can give yourself reputations points....I think I did a good job :p

So does the rep points start at 0 or 10? When I had my first rep 2 weeks ago I had 11 points.

When you join DaniWeb, you start with 10 rep points, and it can go up or down from there depending on the feedback you're given (yes, it can go into the negative numbers). When someone adds to (or takes away from) your rep, the amount that it changes depends on the rep of the person giving it; I'm not sure of the scale, but someone who has 10 or less will not change your score -- 11 or more will add at least 1 point, and the highest I've seen added at one time is 5 points.

Hey DMR, I'm just curious about how many rep points you got to have 2 green boxes for your repution. Do you remember?

Actually, I don't. When I first started here, rep points were displayed as numbers just like your post count. Somewhere in there the points rating display was changed to the green boxes, but I can't remember how many actual points I had when that happened.

Whew! I thought they were like points on your Drivers License. Thanks to whoever gave me mine.

Actually, I don't. When I first started here, rep points were displayed as numbers just like your post count. Somewhere in there the points rating display was changed to the green boxes, but I can't remember how many actual points I had when that happened.

You can see your exact points in your control panel on the top right of the rated threads.

Yeah we can.

I got ripped off. Some people decided to give me some bad rep on some word game posts. It makes the rep system very innacurate. (should have 17 but have 15 now)

I didnt give you any bad reps :D.

Yeah we can.

I got ripped off. Some people decided to give me some bad rep on some word game posts. It makes the rep system very innacurate. (should have 17 but have 15 now)

I got bad rep on a word game post as well. All I did was take a word out in the word change game but I guess whoever gave the bad rep didn't like my doing that.

But I can't say I got ripped off. The rep box just says approve or disapprove. If someone disapproves of someone's post then it's legitimate, I suppose. But it doesn't make the system inaccurate.

I exagerated when I said I got ripped off. lol :D

But it does make the rep system innacurate. It does not make sense to give points for games like that. Good rep in my opinion should be given to people who give helpful answers, tips and comments. Bad rep to really bad answers (I dont give bad rep in that case, I just dont give any).

I'd like to know how much rep points you need to change your rep.

I see people with 5 and 6 little green boxes, does it take a lot to get that?

I've asked that question once but I still dont know... the admin cscgal would know that

I'd like to know how much rep points you need to change your rep.

I see people with 5 and 6 little green boxes, does it take a lot to get that?

Yes, it does.

The entire rep thing is pretty useless. I've yet to see a site where it doesn't lead to strive and popularity contests to get the highest rep.

commented: yeah very useless. see? I can rate this post but doesnt deserve a rep point... +1

Someone gave me some negative rep for making a suggestion that they should've listened to. They wrote: "servercrash was harsh and arrogant".... I thought that was pretty funny though.

The entire rep thing is pretty useless. I've yet to see a site where it doesn't lead to strive and popularity contests to get the highest rep.

Both postcounts and rep systems are systems which people should take with a 'grain of salt'. High postcounts can indicate repeated 'chatty' style comments which are marginally helpful or even not helpful at all, and the 'rep' system is an 'honour based' one which has the potential for being misused.

By far the best way to indicate that someone has been helpful is to make a post indicating, 'Thank you, that sorted the problem out'. Such posts are visible to all, and are the best indication that a particular member is someone whose advice is particularly valuable.

Personally, I think the rep system is not a good one for monitoring abusive forum members. Giving negative rep to someone who is unusually rude, abrupt or even abusive does little. Reporting such posts to your moderators is a better method of dealing with that circumstance.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.