The entire rep thing is pretty useless. I've yet to see a site where it doesn't lead to strive and popularity contests to get the highest rep.

Exactly.

As I posted in one of our older threads on this subject:

Quite honestly, getting wrapped up in this whole thing of reputation points isn't worth it. The points system is flawed, can be abused, and basically means nothing in terms of your true reputation here. This is why many support sites that used to use such a system have dropped it- the accuracy of the advice and answers you give are ultimately what will determine your reputation here.

In other words: don't let your ego take hit because another member gave you a negative Point Hit, especially if it happened in a post in one of our non-technical forums like the Geek's Lounge. Your overall reputation here is not based on your Rep Points, it is based on whether or not you have a history of giving good and reliable advice to other members. Period.

Giving negative rep to someone who is unusually rude

Hmm... Who would that be? :)

Personally, I think the rep system is not a good one for monitoring abusive forum members. Giving negative rep to someone who is unusually rude, abrupt or even abusive does little. Reporting such posts to your moderators is a better method of dealing with that circumstance.

Entirely right.

I think it's an ok system. Revenge, and the fact that most people don't want to take the time to do it, is something we have to deal with.

Revenge, and the fact that most people don't want to take the time to do it, is something we have to deal with.

True, but I personally disagree with the whole "revenge" aspect to begin with.

Most of us who help out here are professionals, and our main focus is to help others; "revenge" and other similar types of misguided and rather childish online behaviours really don't serve any of us.

If anyone wants an online "playpen" where they can post whatever they want and then gripe, whine and moan about how the others in that community feel about those posts, there are plenty of those types of sites out there.

Ours just doesn't happen to be one of them... ;)

I think eliminating the ability to give reputation in the chit chat forum will do away with a lot of the messing around.

True, but I personally disagree with the whole "revenge" aspect to begin with.

Most of us who help out here are professionals, and our main focus is to help others; "revenge" and other similar types of misguided and rather childish online behaviours really don't serve any of us.

Correct. Looking at the negative rep points I get it's 90%+ from people whom I tell off when they ask for complete homework solutions...
Telling them they won't get those is in line with site policies so I do nothing wrong (and I do try to bring it gently more often than not :mrgreen: ) so the system is flawed there.
Those same kids would likely not give a + rep when someone does do all their work for them, leading to a skewered system in which you're more likely to get a negative rep than a positive one.

Correct. Looking at the negative rep points I get it's 90%+ from people whom I tell off when they ask for complete homework solutions...
Telling them they won't get those is in line with site policies so I do nothing wrong (and I do try to bring it gently more often than not :mrgreen: ) so the system is flawed there.
Those same kids would likely not give a + rep when someone does do all their work for them, leading to a skewered system in which you're more likely to get a negative rep than a positive one.

Yep, it's the same here. I got that neg rep I metioned earlier because I wouldn't exactly give someone all their homework. Then, as you know :D , I've done peoples homework for them several times. I've never got any rep for that.

It often happens that those who ask someone to do theire homework are new members or arent very active. Most of them dont even know you can give points.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.