Hi and in a previous discussion I wrote a bot that created informational text articles from the php forum at daniweb. This discussion can be found at http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread200918.html
However I now have another question due to the great success of my bot. Is it possible for to expand the bot to do the same but in additional forums which are limited to the following:

1. PHP forum (already done as in discussion)
  2. HTML/CSS forum
  3. Javascript/DHTML/Ajax
  4. Java

So basically the bot will check the rss feeds of those forums then will get from my database 10 day old links and retrieve data from those links. Also I wish for my bot to be able to check the related code snippet rss feeds (to get the links) but not scan the code snippets articles though. Is this ok with the community as I am trying to setup a super knowledge base for all those noobs and you can see what I'm doing by going to this link then go down to the "powered by daniweb" section and type in a search term like "mysql error" (it's very limited at the moment) then the grey box will fill with results. When you click one of the links in the grey box it will load up a bot generated article where the information came from daniweb. So please leave your comments about this here as I am designing this bot to go easy on the daniweb server.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

You have my permission. :) In other words I permit you to have fun with the robot. I remember the days I designed a couple of php robots. I loved every moment of it.

You have my permission. :) In other words I permit you to have fun with the robot. I remember the days I designed a couple of php robots. I loved every moment of it.

Well this question is more directed to the moderators and at the same time I'm seeing what the communities opinion is.

I am fine with it, because that's actually what RSS feeds exist for. Check out the link in the footer of the page for some creative parameters that can be passed into RSS feeds.

Where is that link because I can't find it?

Edit:
Found it at http://www.daniweb.com/subscribe.php

I am fine with it, because that's actually what RSS feeds exist for. Check out the link in the footer of the page for some creative parameters that can be passed into RSS feeds.

So is that decision final and the project has a green light or do I need to wait for further replies?

Any answer mods?

Any answer mods?

CSCGAL is daniweb - if she says okay, mods say okay.

CSCGAL is daniweb - if she says okay, mods say okay.

I didn't realise that Cscgal was the one in charge of daniweb. Thanks for that information and the green light it is.

I didn't realise that Cscgal was the one in charge of daniweb. Thanks for that information and the green light it is.

So you missed:
- Her title: "The Queen of DaniWeb"
- Her badges: "Administrator" and "Staff writer"
- And her signature saying "Dani the Computer Science Gal" as in DANI from DANIweb?

Perhaps you need some glasses :icon_wink:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.