What kind of instrument do u play?

And if u don't play any instrument, do u intend to learn one? And what it is?

Recommended Answers

All 42 Replies

The piano.

Rashakil Fol plays piano really well, you should see him playing..

Wow, can I ask Rashakil Fol is a handsome man or a beautiful day??

Guitar, violin, assorted persecutions(meditation balls, spurs, battery clip+old speaker, etc.), synth effects with a chain of guitar pedals, anything that makes noise.

Drums and percussion are my main specialities, I play drums for an extreme/technical metal band called Downfall. I also teach drums at our guitarists studio.

I can play guitar and bass to a fairly high standard, plus some rudimentary keyboard/piano.

I've tried a few other stringed instruments over the years (banjo, ukelele and balalaika) and would like to have a go at violin or cello at some point.

But I should be kept away from woodwind instruments at all costs!
I've tried flute, clarinet, trumpet and saxophone in the past, but with disasterous noisical consequences! I just can't get my head 'round 'em...Maybe that's the drummer side of me coming out! heh heh!

But I should be kept away from woodwind instruments at all costs!
I've tried flute, clarinet, trumpet and saxophone in the past....

Oops, before anybody says anything, yes I'm aware that trumpet and saxophone aren't woodwind they're brass!

What I should've said was:
I should be kept away from woodwind and brass instruments at all costs!

That'll be the drummer part of me acting up again! :)

I am a peinist. I spend my time composing, and singing. :P

I play the bass guitar. I love to play classic songs from Iron Maiden, Journey, etc. I also play new stuff too. Playing solo now because I don't know anyone who wants to join a band. Check out my profile for a pic of my current bass. However I plan on buying a Paul McCartney style Hofner violin bass very soon.

I play drums

Oops, before anybody says anything, yes I'm aware that trumpet and saxophone aren't woodwind they're brass!

What are you talking about? The saxophone is a woodwind.

What are you talking about? The saxophone is a woodwind.

See, I'm that bad with woodwind instruments I don't even know what they are!
Yeah sorry, I forgot about the reeds on 'em. Remember, I'm not infallible, I am only a metal drummer after all!

It was the horrific memory of the saxophones bright, shinyness and its unwillingness to make any kind of noise that vaguely resembled music that was distracting me OK?!

Heh heh, I've been a drummer for a long time now (about 18 years) and it's had a profound long term effect on me! (as is probably evident by the shambolic ramblings in my posts...)

Hey, we've almost got enough people in this thread to start up an internet based all-geek band here on Daniweb!

Me 'n Crazzy Cat can share drum / percussion duties,
Serkan Sendur and Mosaic Funeral on Guitar,
Grn Xtrm on Bass,
and Rashakil Fol and PaulThom on Piano/keyboard.

Mosaic can also do his best Trent Reznor impression with his miscellaneous electronic noise making equipment.

Now all we need is a vocalist and some ideas on musical direction! Heh heh!

Live gigs and rehearsals are probably out of the question (unless things go seriously viral...Yea' right!), but we might be able to cobble a few MP3 tracks together!

Anybody up for it?

I play the radio - I was first chair sax in HS until someone else learned how to play. I tried flute for a while but it is odd - I can hear the difference between notes but the differences do not mean anything to me.

So - have any of you drummers/percussionists heard of Ainsley Dunbar?

Hey, we've almost got enough people in this thread to start up an internet based all-geek band here on Daniweb!
Live gigs and rehearsals are probably out of the question (unless things go seriously viral...Yea' right!), but we might be able to cobble a few MP3 tracks together!
Anybody up for it?

I'm always up for playing music with other talented musicians.
Not quite sure how it would work without ever seeing each other though...??

I play the radio - I was first chair sax in HS until someone else learned how to play. I tried flute for a while but it is odd - I can hear the difference between notes but the differences do not mean anything to me.

So - have any of you drummers/percussionists heard of Ainsley Dunbar?

Yes, he's one of the lesser known session drummers. Lesser known in the sense that hardly anybody mentions him. He's not a household name or anything, not many drummers will cite him as an influence. But without knowing it, his playing is probably on a lot of tracks that other drummers are influenced by.

But he's a drummer who's worked with more legendary bands and artists over the years than most other drummers have had hot dinners!

An unsung hero if you will!

What kind of instrument do u play?

Instruments of torture.

I'm always up for playing music with other talented musicians.
Not quite sure how it would work without ever seeing each other though...??

Well, my own band use this unconventional songwriting method from time to time:
1. One of our guitarists comes up with a few riff ideas (or occasionally a whole song).

2. They record their parts into Cubase (or sometimes they use Audacity) on their PC's (while playing along with a metronome) and export a .wav.

3. They then email the .wav and cubase project to me (or if using Audacity, they'll send the .wav and tell me the tempo and the times of any tempo changes). I then use Drumkits from hell to program a few different drum parts for each section and export a .wav mixdown of the guitar and drums.

4. We then decide (via heated debates using email / IRC / Ekiga) which of my drum grooves fit the riffs best (Most of the time we'll use whatever I come up with first, but sometimes we'll try a few different ones!) and then we finalise the arrangement of the song.

5. I then go back and finalise the drum-parts, the guitarists will re-arrange and re-record their parts (if necessary), we put all of that together and pass a mixdown of guitar and drums to our bassist and vocalist (with any necessary information on the key used). They in turn will listen to the tracks and write and record their parts.

6. Finally one of us gets the unenviable task of gathering the .wavs of all of the final parts and cobbling everything together (in Cubase or audacity) and mixing the track down. And thus (after much bouncing tracks around) a rough demo is born!

There are a few other bands who do things in a similar way (I believe Meshuggah use a similar method from time to time!)

That sounds pretty complicated, and not exactly the best way to create music. Thanks for enlightening me with that info though.

That sounds pretty complicated, and not exactly the best way to create music. Thanks for enlightening me with that info though.

Heh heh, well...It's not ideal...It sounds a lot more long-winded than it actually is though...We meet up once a week for rehearsals (usually Sundays), but sometimes someone will come up with something on a Monday or a Tuesday and start the ball rolling....By the following weekend, we've usually got a rough demo of a complete new song and a new song to rehearse when we meet up for rehearsal!

So by the following rehearsal, we all know exactly what we'll be playing on the new track.
So could be described as a rapid music development technique heh heh! (If somewhat convoluted!)

I love blowing flute ^.^

Currently I play no instruments, although in the past I played Brass instruments, mainly the Tuba and Baritone [horn].

I was let loose on both a guitar and a piano in the past, and I basically murdered them... the sounds produced could not be classed as music. If I go back to instruments, I will likely play Brass, although I wouldn't mind learning to play the Piano :)

We meet up once a week for rehearsals (usually Sundays), but sometimes someone will come up with something on a Monday or a Tuesday and start the ball rolling....By the following weekend, we've usually got a rough demo of a complete new song and a new song to rehearse when we meet up for rehearsal!
So by the following rehearsal, we all know exactly what we'll be playing on the new track.

I can see where this would be very helpful. With this technique, you guys can go into rehersal already knowing your new songs. No need to waste time teaching everyone. Good stuff! By the way, is your band on any sites? I'd love to hear how you play.

I play piano, a little bit harmoinca and very little bit guitar. Unfortunately I don't really read music, so most of what I play is either by ear or I write down the letters of the notes on the paper before I start learning the song.

By the way, is your band on any sites? I'd love to hear how you play.

There are a handful of tracks uploaded to the Downfall myspace page. There's a link to it posted on my Daniweb user profile.

J.

There are a handful of tracks uploaded to the Downfall myspace page. There's a link to it posted on my Daniweb user profile.

I'm not a big fan of that kind of music but you guys sound really professional. Your drum beats are awesome as well. Keep up the good work!

I play the drums especially when I get to hang out with my old friends in school.

thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.