OK, so I get up, shower, eat, and open up my email client. Number 4 from the top is a Daniweb email telling me about the wonderful topics currently being discussed - here's the list:

* Prevent programs from saving to certain folder? in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Win7: To Migrate or Not to Migrate? in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Error Code 8024402c in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* connecting to localhost` in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Cant install any programs... Help! in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Windows 7 Regional Themes in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Hi every one in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* When I boot computer Error Appear. in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Add-on for Windows7 File Manager in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Laptop wont start.... in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Installing Ram Problem in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Hello everyone problem with audio on vista home in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Issues with moving from XP to Vista in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Vista + Fedora - Hibernate in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* windows 7 display driver in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* vista shared folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Ballmer Won't Call Google by Name in Interview in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* cd tray wont open.vista home basic in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Windows 7 Blue Screen in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* invalid boot.in file in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Icons on Desktop layered with another strange icon in ! Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Windows 7 Wallpapers in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* bad image in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Is the FSF shooting the open-source community in the foot? in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* My Vista became incredible slow in Windows Vista and Windows 7

Now quite frankly, this list is enough to make me want to puke. This site is supposedly for geeks. Well, real geeks don't run Windows. Real geeks don't run any Microsoft products, because we understand enough about operating systems and application programs, to know that Microsoft products are total, absolute, pieces of garbage.

Microsloth (my pet name for them, because their product delivery dates are so often late) is probably the least competent corporation on the planet. Let's take a look at some of their products:

1) XBox360 - the most badly designed game console ever.
2) Microsoft Windows 1.0 - 5 years behind GEM and GEOS
3) Internet Exploder 3 - the only browser with a file size limit on downloads, curiously it was set low enough that you couldn't download Netscape with it.
4) Microsoft Outlook & Express - the most advanced virus transmission tools ever devised.
5) Internet Exploder 6 - Totally unable to render standards compliant web pages.
6) Microsoft Office 2007 SP1 - the only ODF "capable" application that can't properly write ODF files. This one is particularly note able because 20 other applications can do it - but the biggest software company on the planet was too incompetent to manage to do it right.
7) Security - let's face it - no other operating system on the planet has the security problems that Windows has, because they all use a proper security model, while Windows uses something that appears to have been designed by a drunken Zebra. Oh, and for all those who claim that Linux and OSX will suffer just as many virus problems when they get popular, well you're wrong. Linux and OSX were designed securely from the ground up. Even Microsoft admits that Windows was not designed to be secure.

I could continue - but you should have gotten the idea by this point. Windows is a total and utter piece of garbage, designed by an incompetent corporation, which wouldn't be able to survive if it hadn't managed to turn a clone of another operating system into a monopoly position in the market place.

What you have to ask yourself is, what are you going to do if Microsoft crashes and burns? Their year end financials were not that good, and if the first quarter results end up being what I think they will be, there is a significant possibility that this could happen. Don't laugh. Think. Where was General Motors 6 years ago? Did anyone think 6 years ago that General Motors would end up in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection?

Oh, I don't think Microsoft will die this year, or the next, but you should start putting together an exit plan just in case, and you this is a good option, it will run on damned near any hardware you can through at it, and even autodetected my wireless card, and ran it, with no need to search for drivers. You won't get that from Windows.

MosaicFuneral commented: tl;dr +0
William Hemsworth commented: Boring. A typical Microsoft basher who has nothing better to do but rant without backing up any points. +0
somedude3488 commented: Wow, you're an asshole. +0
Evenbit commented: Your writing might be a little "rough around the edges" and you tend to venture into controversial subjects, but I think you are very intelligent and this thread really shows your depth of understanding. +0
nagendra rao commented: ya i like this +0

Recommended Answers

All 179 Replies

Well said why do we trouble ourselves with such incompetant software?

Well the fact that you have to face is the majority of the computing public are tech lazy, they want things to work with little to no action on their part and look good doing it. Plus most people assume that Windows is the best OS out there and that Mac is the only alternative, not to mention the fact that all pre-built PC's come installed with windows and most people believe if it works don't screw with it.

I've only recently decided to go beyond just understanding the basics and learning hardware specs and customized software. I think I am finnaly ready to go with linux, what do I have to loose? My system is sitting here now full of countless bugs, malware apps and worthless software...

Well the fact that you have to face is the majority of the computing public are tech lazy, they want things to work with little to no action on their part and look good doing it. Plus most people assume that Windows is the best OS out there and that Mac is the only alternative, not to mention the fact that all pre-built PC's come installed with windows and most people believe if it works don't screw with it.

I've only recently decided to go beyond just understanding the basics and learning hardware specs and customized software. I think I am finnaly ready to go with linux, what do I have to loose? My system is sitting here now full of countless bugs, malware apps and worthless software...

I can tell already that you won't have much luck with Linux.

commented: Lol +0
commented: :) +0

If you are just leaving the Windows Microverse you might want to try Moon OS, I really liked it.

Not all pre-built PC's come with Windows, check out Naked Computers. Good luck.

I'm curious. You seem so sure, but you don't say why, and your assurance is totally at variance with my own experience. In fact I'll state straight out that Linux is easier to use than Windows.

This is rather amusing. I posted a long, insightful write up on why I don't use Windows. And guess what - my reputation is instantly modded down. Now why would that be. Is it possible that Microsoft Trolls hang out here?

I think so.

This is rather amusing. I posted a long, insightful write up on why I don't use Windows. And guess what - my reputation is instantly modded down. Now why would that be. Is it possible that Microsoft Trolls hang out here?
I think so.

Maybe there are people out there who like Windows. Is that allowed?
There is a Linux lab at my school and those computers are slowest machines I ever used. Every other room in the school has computers that run Windows and they work much better. In my experience Windows is much better than Linux. But hey, that's just me. I'm sure others have had great experiences with Linux.
People are entitled to their opinions. Don't call people trolls because they like to use Windows.

I think so.

Perhaps because your entire post comes across as a long troll? I didn't find much of it very insightful - just another anti-Microsoft rant.

/yawn at your indignation.

commented: Agreed +0
commented: Seconded +0

Maybe there are people out there who like Windows. Is that allowed?
There is a Linux lab at my school and those computers are slowest machines I ever used. Every other room in the school has computers that run Windows and they work much better. In my experience Windows is much better than Linux. But hey, that's just me. I'm sure others have had great experiences with Linux.
People are entitled to their opinions. Don't call people trolls because they like to use Windows.

Maybe there are people who don't know very much about computers <GRIN>.

As to your Linux lab - I note that you didn't compare the hardware. I saw one lab like you are talking about, where all of the Linux machines were old P3 units, and the Windows machines all Core 2 Duo. And yes, people were wondering why the Linux computers were slower!

Oh, and a correction. I don't call people trolls because they like Windows. I call people trolls because of their actions.

Perhaps because your entire post comes across as a long troll? I didn't find much of it very insightful - just another anti-Microsoft rant.

/yawn at your indignation.

Make that an accurate Anti-Microsoft rant and I'll agree with you.

Why because of my minor typos..?

I'm curious. You seem so sure, but you don't say why, and your assurance is totally at variance with my own experience. In fact I'll state straight out that Linux is easier to use than Windows.

I tried two different distributions of *nix (Fedora 11 and Ubuntu) over a whole week and neither of them worked the way I wanted them to. I have a 64-bit computer with 5 gig ram and 750 gig hd, I could not get the sound to work right nor would it play movies on dvd drive.

Eveything worked straight away when I installed Microsoft Vista Home Premium. There were no additional packages to install nor did I have to tweek the os to make it work with my computer.

I still have my computer dual booting with Fedora 11, but I have Vista set as the default os. The only time I boot into Fedora now is so that I can test compile some programs on *nix. Otherwise I won't bother with all the hassle.

I tried two different distributions of *nix (Fedora 11 and Ubuntu) over a whole week and neither of them worked the way I wanted them to. I have a 64-bit computer with 5 gig ram and 750 gig hd, I could not get the sound to work right nor would it play movies on dvd drive.

Eveything worked straight away when I installed Microsoft Vista Home Premium. There were no additional packages to install nor did I have to tweek the os to make it work with my computer.

I still have my computer dual booting with Fedora 11, but I have Vista set as the default os. The only time I boot into Fedora now is so that I can test compile some programs on *nix. Otherwise I won't bother with all the hassle.

First off, I don't need an anti-virus program. I don't need to worry about Spyware. And, everything just worked. So I don't know what you did wrong, only that you did.

I did a comparison one day - Ubuntu vs Windows XP. Ubuntu took 25 minutes, and all the drivers were there. Windows XP took over an hour, and then I had to hunt for drivers. And then I had to install Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, a real Firewall (I don't trust the Microsoft one), an Office Suite (Windows doesn't include one), a good Video Player (Windows Media player is useless - Videolan is far better), and a decent music player (WinAmp). Total install time was close to two hours, as compared to 25 minutes for Ubuntu.

If you like Windows - that's your problem. I read an article a while back that compared Windows users to abused spouses who keep coming back.

commented: Ho hum +0

Somehow I don't think my Grandmother would understand why she has to "sudo" everything, and I don't think a hardcore gamer would accept the limitations WINE offers... Windows is only vulnerable to nasties BECAUSE it is the most popular O/S. If Ubuntu had a larger user base than Windows, do you not think that it would be a target for malicious engineers? As far as drivers go, I use a dual boot, XP (for gaming) and Ubunutu (for development): I still have not found satisfactory drivers for my GPU under ubuntu, in XP the card performs wonderfully. I have seen many MS bashing posts, and this one is possibly the least informative.

As to your Linux lab - I note that you didn't compare the hardware. I saw one lab like you are talking about, where all of the Linux machines were old P3 units, and the Windows machines all Core 2 Duo. And yes, people were wondering why the Linux computers were slower!

How would you know what kind of computers are in the labs at my school? They are actually all the same but nice try.

Oh, and a correction. I don't call people trolls because they like Windows. I call people trolls because of their actions.

OK, then you are an Anti-Microsoft troll... because of your actions, of course.

its illegal to play copy protected dvds on linux in the US so fedora (as redhat is a US registed company) blocks you from easialy doing this.

its illegal to play copy protected dvds on linux in the US so fedora (as redhat is a US registed company) blocks you from easialy doing this.

Well, real geeks don't run Windows. Real geeks don't run any Microsoft products, because we understand enough about operating systems and application programs, to know that Microsoft products are total, absolute, pieces of garbage.

I guess you can tweak your definition of 'geek' to mean what you want, but in my opinion a real geek would not limit his options by making generalizations. There are Microsoft products that are garbage, but there are also Microsoft products that are very good. The only company I know of that has been completely successful with every production so far is Pixar. ;)

Many of us 'geeks' are IT professionals, and banning Microsoft products would put us on the fast track to being out of work. Only hobbyists can afford to be extremist about these kind of things.

Even Microsoft admits that Windows was not designed to be secure.

Windows was also designed in the mid 1980s, when OS security was not exactly the buzzword that it is now. Couple that bad decision with the good decision of maintaining extensive backward compatibility and it is easy to see the dilemma of securing Windows without breaking functionality. I am not defending the insecurity, just putting things in perspective.

Maybe Windows 7 will be their successful attempt to hit that mark. I have not tried it yet, but soon my PC will be upgraded at work and I will also move to Windows 7.

I could continue - but you should have gotten the idea by this point.

I get the idea, but not the logic. If millions of intolerant rants like this over the years have not killed Microsoft or caused a mass exodus to Linux, what makes you think one more will tip the scales? People will choose the software and platform they want regardless of your hateful attacks on anything you do not like, so your post strikes me as a complete waste of time.

commented: First post in this thread which makes sense. +0

Somehow I don't think my Grandmother would understand why she has to "sudo" everything, and I don't think a hardcore gamer would accept the limitations WINE offers... Windows is only vulnerable to nasties BECAUSE it is the most popular O/S. If Ubuntu had a larger user base than Windows, do you not think that it would be a target for malicious engineers? As far as drivers go, I use a dual boot, XP (for gaming) and Ubunutu (for development): I still have not found satisfactory drivers for my GPU under ubuntu, in XP the card performs wonderfully. I have seen many MS bashing posts, and this one is possibly the least informative.

First, since she would never have to use SUDO, she'd not need to understand it. My mother-in-law is about the same age as your grandmother - late 70's. She adapted to XUbuntu over a weekend, and had no problems after (on the same computer that was a disaster with Windows).
Second, since the 'Nix platforms are built differently than Windows, viruses are virtually impossible to write for them. Popularity has nothing to do with Windows vulnerability, rather the problem has to do with defects in the Windows design philosophy, which can't be removed with out breaking backwards compatibility (of course considering how badly Vista messed up backwards compatibility they might as well have just gone for broke).
Third, if you can't find drivers for your GPU blame Microsoft, they use contractual limitations to prevent hardware makers from writing Linux drivers.
Glad you think it was uninformative - but that you still responded.

How would you know what kind of computers are in the labs at my school? They are actually all the same but nice try.

Usually, at least in the schools I've been in recently (graduated high school in 1975 - my youngest graduates from the same school this year) Linux is used most often on donated computers, where the school can't prove that they have a legitimate Windows license for the computer, so that if the BSA audits them, they don't get in trouble.

If the Linux computers actually are slower, that's a good indication that there's something wrong, just like I would think that there was something wrong if I saw an XP install on a Core 2 Duo run slow.

OK, then you are an Anti-Microsoft troll... because of your actions, of course.

Heh. Of course I'm anti-Microsoft! I have seen the light children, and the light is FREE SOFTWARE! Protect us from the EVILS of the Proprietary Software Manufacturers WHO SELL US OUT TO THE RIAA and install SPYWARE (Windows Genuine Disadvantage) on our COMPUTERS!

Seriously though - do you trust Microsoft? Do you trust Apple? You shouldn't. They are working towards their own best interests, which quite probably are not your best interests.

Of course you can trust me, I'm a paragon of virtue, and would never mislead you.

Huh?? Its ok for MS-Windows (Windows Media Player) but not for *nix?? That doesn't make a lick of sense.

its illegal to play copy protected dvds on linux in the US so fedora (as redhat is a US registed company) blocks you from easily doing this.

This statement is incorrect. What is illegal is breaching the "technological copy protection."

This can cause some hilarious consequences. On one version of protected audio CD inserting it into a cd player BYPASSED THE COPY PROTECTION! I'm serious. CD Players don't recognize copy protection, because it isn't part of the standard. The same was true if you used the CD on any 'Nix based system (Linux, OSX, OS9, BSD, Solaris), the only operating system that the copy protection worked with was Windows. So anyone who played the CD in their car, was technically breaching the DMCA, and could have been arrested, charged, and convicted.

Then of course there's the wording of the act itself, which if I remember correctly uses the word "effective." Is a technical measure that is so easily broken "effective?"

And then there's the current Supreme Court case about patents (in re Bilski). If, for example, software patents are invalidated by the case, that means that any software implementation of a hardware patent would not be blocked by the hardware patent. It also means that under the "Free Speech" provisions of the Constitution that all software implementations are legal, that the DMCA cannot apply to software only implementations. It also means that licensing groups like the Fraunhoffer MP3 group wouldn't be able to collect licensing fees for software only implementations.

As to the DMCA, since I don't live in the United States, it has no effect on me. But I've got to admit that it's about the stupidest law I've ever seen, as well as being solid proof that the United States political system is no longer "for the people, by the people", but is now "for the corporations, by the corporations."

Huh?? Its ok for MS-Windows (Windows Media Player) but not for *nix?? That doesn't make a lick of sense.

Because the vendors pay a licence fee for thier decoders to use the technology. This aint an open specification, so the opensource community made a libary (libdvdcss2) which essentially does a brute-force-crack in order to play copy protected DVDs.

P.S if you want it on ubuntu, use a repository called "medibuntu"

I guess you can tweak your definition of 'geek' to mean what you want, but in my opinion a real geek would not limit his options by making generalizations. There are Microsoft products that are garbage, but there are also Microsoft products that are very good. The only company I know of that has been completely successful with every production so far is Pixar. ;)

My definition of Geek is someone who has a good understanding of multiple operating systems. Anyone who has a good understanding of operating systems in addition to Windows, generally won't use Windows. Oh, they may repair it for other people, but they won't use it for themselves, except possibly for gaming.

Many of us 'geeks' are IT professionals, and banning Microsoft products would put us on the fast track to being out of work. Only hobbyists can afford to be extremist about these kind of things.

Depends on your definition of "IT Professional". If you only work with Microsoft, I'd call you a "Microsoft Professional".

But you are right, if there was a mass move to non-Windows platforms it would put a lot of "Microsoft Professionals" out of work. Just think of Best Buy's "Geek Squad", without Windows Geek Squad would be out of business in short order, as no other operating system requires that much maintenance.

And no, it's not only hobbyists who "can afford to be extreme" about such things. Business owners like myself can save huge amounts of money by not using Windows, for example my business is 100% Mac, and quite frankly I'm saving a fortune. This may seem ridiculous when you look at base cost - you can buy a 15" Dell Laptop for about $600-700 and a 15 " MacBook Pro is about $1800.00, but the MacBook Pro is virus and spyware proof, networks like a dream (I don't have an IT department - don't need one), and just works.

In other words as a small business owner, competing against some really big players (they could buy me out of petty cash) I can't afford not to look to every possible cost saving, and the MacBook is giving me those cost savings.

Windows was also designed in the mid 1980s, when OS security was not exactly the buzzword that it is now. Couple that bad decision with the good decision of maintaining extensive backward compatibility and it is easy to see the dilemma of securing Windows without breaking functionality. I am not defending the insecurity, just putting things in perspective.

Unix was designed in the 1960s when OS security was not exactly the buzzword that it is now. So how come it doesn't have the problems that Windows does when it was designed 20 years prior? Oh, and it did maintain decent backwards compatibility, even through many changes. Linux, while it doesn't share the code base, uses the same design decisions that Unix did. BSD and Solaris of course do share part of the ancestral Unix code base. Mac OSX is a BSD variant. It's easy to port programs from Unix, to Linux, to BSD, to Solaris, to Mac OSX because they share a common design heritage.

So when you put things into their proper perspective, Unix, being the older operating system, should have a lot more problems. It doesn't. Age isn't the issue. Architecture is.

Maybe Windows 7 will be their successful attempt to hit that mark. I have not tried it yet, but soon my PC will be upgraded at work and I will also move to Windows 7.

My son was running the Beta of Windows 7 alongside XP on his gaming computer. He says it runs better than Vista, but the betas of Vista ran fairly well too, and the RTM ran like a pig. So I wouldn't be too optimistic.

I get the idea, but not the logic. If millions of intolerant rants like this over the years have not killed Microsoft or caused a mass exodus to Linux, what makes you think one more will tip the scales? People will choose the software and platform they want regardless of your hateful attacks on anything you do not like, so your post strikes me as a complete waste of time.

Intolerant? Everything I've said has been accurate. If being right is intolerance, I hadn't heard that.

As to a "mass exodus" to Linux, as long as Microsoft can force the OEMs to pre-install Windows, we won't see that happening, as most people buy a computer to use, not to change, just as most people buy a car to drive, not to hot-rod.

So people aren't choosing Windows. They are having it forced on them, because if you go to Best Buy, or where ever that's all you see. There's no choice involved. Except to go to the Apple Store, which more and more people are doing now. Go to the Amazon computer pages, and look at their most popular lists. The only computers worth more than $1000.00 in the top 20 are Apples. Apple owns the high end of the market now.

And shortly we are going to see the ARM Netbooks arrive. ARM based systems can't run Windows 2k/XP/Vista/Vista 7, but they can run Linux or BSD, and there's a wide variety of software available. Oh, admittedly you could install Windows CE, but there's no software for it.

In actual fact ARM based Netbooks have been on sale here for over 2 years, using a BSD based operating system, and they've been selling like crazy. Think IPhone/IPod Touch. Yep. It's really an ARM based Netbook with an on-screen keyboard, and they are selling really well.

commented: you really are trying very hard to get people annoyed arent you? +0

Because the vendors pay a license fee for their decoders to use the technology. This ain't an open specification, so the opensource community made a library (libdvdcss2) which essentially does a brute-force-crack in order to play copy protected DVDs.

P.S if you want it on ubuntu, use a repository called "medibuntu"

Now that's a really good explanation, that's so totally wrong in some ways. The Licensing by the DVD Consortium is based on patents that cover a hardware implementation. It therefore could be argued that a software implementation doesn't require licensing, at least in countries that do not recognize software patents (and of course in a country that doesn't recognize patents at all, hardware would not need to be licensed either).

This is why that there is so much attention being paid to a case that the US Supreme Court will be hearing shortly, "in re Bilski", which may decide as a side issue, if software patents are legal. If it decides against them, there may also be some rather interesting fallout in other areas as well.

OK, first off, I'm not American, so I don't understand your system 100%, and what you are getting, is what I see.

What it comes down to, is that the United States is a Corporate Plutocracy, not a democracy. In other words, the corporations rule, not the people (and I expect to hear a lot of screams about my saying this, however that is what it looks like to an outsider).

Take for example the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. Supposedly according to the United States Constitution (and yes, I have read it) the legislative branch (House of Representatives and the Senate) have the ability to confer limited monopolies to encourage advancement in the useful arts. Copyright is an example of a limited monopoly, which was supposed to ensure that the artist was paid for their work, whether author, song writer, actor, singer, etc.

In effect the copyright act was taken over by the corporations. This happened because the costs of replication were such that an individual artist couldn't set up a volume printing press, or phonograph pressing plant. So instead, corporations built up the replication machinery, and then the distribution machinery, and due to their control of these, were able to bend copyright law in their own interests.

The first crack in the face of the "cost of replication/distribution" issue was the cassette tape, and quite frankly it had the recording industry terrified. I have several friends who have been doing all their own recording and distribution for over 30 years now, and while none of them are big names, several are making a living out of it.

The record companies were delighted when the CD became the next major format. At the time CD's couldn't be recorded easily, and they hoped it would wipe out the independent artists who were using tape. Unfortunately the switch to CD took just long enough that CD recording equipment came down in price, and the independents moved to CD. However this also meant that CDs, like cassettes before them could be duplicated.

And then of course the internet hit, and everyone panicked.

The result was the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, a piece of legislation which conferred no advantages to the people of the United States, in conflict with the Constitution. It was bought and paid for by the big media companies.

Now, as to why Windows Media is allowed to, and Videolan isn't, Microsoft paid the DVD Consortium for the right to play DVDs. Videolan, a Free Software project, couldn't do this, and didn't. So legally, installing Videolan is OK, but using it to play a DVD isn't, because you are bypassing the copy protection that the DMCA protects against being bypassed by the user.

In simple terms - if you live in the United States, you have no rights.

commented: Well said +0

the MacBook Pro is virus and spyware proof, networks like a dream (I don't have an IT department - don't need one), and just works.

One thing PC users can do that Mac users can't.

Your whole post was just plain annoying, if people are comfortable with Windows, why do you care? Just give it a rest, you will always get people with different opinions, and as Tom Gunn said, rants like these are a waste of time.

My opinion is that all three operating systems are fine, each with their own advantages which appeal to different people.

commented: Nice link :) +0
commented: Yes!! LOL I was hoping someone would link that. +0

Before I have tried out several different Linux distro's on several different pc's, and I can only say one thing: Linux really didn't convince me at all.
There are just too much things which went wrong: either the sound doesn't work, or my wireless network card, or there isn't a video driver available for my graphics card, etc...
Also while testing (and I always installed to my harddrive) I found out the systems were always painfully slow compared to Windows, just a very bad responsiveness, the applications don't interact well enough.
The distro's I tried were even unstable, and my machine hung multiple times.

So really, you can't blame me for using Microsoft stuff, I still have Windows 2000 machines which run better than every other operating system I've ever seen (fast + no crashes + no WGA + no windows activation).
So, why would I switch to a system which will only let me run into problems? Why? Wasn't there such a phrase like: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it." ?
Oh yes, and then we're going to begin about viruses and spyware and that Linux doesn't know them very well, well I can assure you: I already use my Windows 2000 machines for over a year without an AV, and I'm sure I still haven't got any viruses.

The only and only one system I've ever liked apart from Windows is BeOS, and now his more recent equivalent: Haiku.
The only problem with this system is that there's just too few software available, but believe me, it's going to change.
The system is incredibly fast and stable, it's the only system apart from Windows which I didn't have problems with.

I'm rather the person who hates the Anti-Microsoft kind of persons, and don't get me wrong: I never said Linux is a bad system, I (and my comp) just don't seem to like it.
Microsoft certainly can make good things, and it has already proven this more than one time.

First off, I don't need an anti-virus program. I don't need to worry about Spyware. And, everything just worked. So I don't know what you did wrong, only that you did.

I did a comparison one day - Ubuntu vs Windows XP. Ubuntu took 25 minutes, and all the drivers were there. Windows XP took over an hour, and then I had to hunt for drivers. And then I had to install Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, a real Firewall (I don't trust the Microsoft one), an Office Suite (Windows doesn't include one), a good Video Player (Windows Media player is useless - Videolan is far better), and a decent music player (WinAmp). Total install time was close to two hours, as compared to 25 minutes for Ubuntu.

If you like Windows - that's your problem. I read an article a while back that compared Windows users to abused spouses who keep coming back.

Do it once, image the whole Windows installation, and put back the image when it's reinstall time. Let's see which one is faster now.

Do it once, image the whole Windows installation, and put back the image when it's reinstall time. Let's see which one is faster now.

Theyll be about the same. Thats prettymuch all the ubuntu cd is (indeed you can remaster an existing installed system back into a livecd for easy reinstallation using a tool called remastersys)

Ubuntu took 25 minutes, and all the drivers were there. Windows XP took over an hour, and then I had to hunt for drivers

But XP is 8 years old. 8 years old linux distributions were TERRIBLE with regards to driver support. Compare a recent version of linux to a recent version of windows (e.g. vista) and vista wins.

8 years ago it would have been redhat 7.x. See hideous looking screenshot below

commented: +1 +0
commented: Great point!! +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.