One thing PC users can do that Mac users can't.

lol. I had forgotten about that Maddox article.

Apple is a trend, particularly around college campuses. They see a regular laptop and they go into maximum-douchebag-overdrive, spouting off all sorts of absurd irrelevant "facts".
The annoying users that buy into this trend tend to not be very computer-savvy, and are sadly not the brightest individuals you'll meet.
There's plenty of other folks, out there, that are not like this, but many are now shying from revealing their ownership; just to avoid being associated with retards(anticonformity?).

Your whole post was just plain annoying, if people are comfortable with Windows, why do you care? Just give it a rest, you will always get people with different opinions, and as Tom Gunn said, rants like these are a waste of time.

My opinion is that all three operating systems are fine, each with their own advantages which appeal to different people.

Windows has advantages?

Anyone who has a good understanding of operating systems in addition to Windows, generally won't use Windows. Oh, they may repair it for other people, but they won't use it for themselves, except possibly for gaming.

Can you prove this without any weasel tricks like claiming that anyone who prefers Windows is ignorant? ;)

And no, it's not only hobbyists who "can afford to be extreme" about such things. Business owners like myself

So we're talking about business owners now and not IT professionals? My comment was about people who are forced to follow the rules of a client or employer, not people who make their own rules. If you have the option to choose your favorite tool, more power to you. Most of us are not so lucky.

So when you put things into their proper perspective, Unix, being the older operating system, should have a lot more problems.

Predictably, you missed the point and tried to twist it into a straw man for your Windows bashing. :)

Intolerant? Everything I've said has been accurate. If being right is intolerance, I hadn't heard that.

Yes, intolerant. You cannot be right about an opinion, because opinions are subjective. In your opinion Microsoft products are garbage, and you have a few bullet points that justify your opinion. Not respecting different opinions, like those of the people who prefer Windows, is intolerant.

commented: excellent responce +0
commented: Beautiful post +0

Before I have tried out several different Linux distro's on several different pc's, and I can only say one thing: Linux really didn't convince me at all.
There are just too much things which went wrong: either the sound doesn't work, or my wireless network card, or there isn't a video driver available for my graphics card, etc...
Also while testing (and I always installed to my harddrive) I found out the systems were always painfully slow compared to Windows, just a very bad responsiveness, the applications don't interact well enough.
The distro's I tried were even unstable, and my machine hung multiple times.

I wonder why I don't believe you? Possibly it's because all of my experience tells me that a Linux distro cannot be slower than Windows, and that Linux driver support is far superior to Windows.

So really, you can't blame me for using Microsoft stuff, I still have Windows 2000 machines which run better than every other operating system I've ever seen (fast + no crashes + no WGA + no windows activation).
So, why would I switch to a system which will only let me run into problems? Why? Wasn't there such a phrase like: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it." ?
Oh yes, and then we're going to begin about viruses and spyware and that Linux doesn't know them very well, well I can assure you: I already use my Windows 2000 machines for over a year without an AV, and I'm sure I still haven't got any viruses.

Now that I don't believe. Win2K is basically an early version of XP, and the same exploits work.

The only and only one system I've ever liked apart from Windows is BeOS, and now his more recent equivalent: Haiku.
The only problem with this system is that there's just too few software available, but believe me, it's going to change.
The system is incredibly fast and stable, it's the only system apart from Windows which I didn't have problems with.

I'll have to take a look at that. Testing new operating systems is fun.

I'm rather the person who hates the Anti-Microsoft kind of persons, and don't get me wrong: I never said Linux is a bad system, I (and my comp) just don't seem to like it.
Microsoft certainly can make good things, and it has already proven this more than one time.

Um, when? Seriously. When?

Windows has advantages?

Yup, you implied so yourself.

Oh, they may repair it for other people, but they won't use it for themselves, except possibly for gaming.

But that's obviously the comeback most Windows users would make, but besides that, there's plenty. One major advantage is that it's currently the most widely used OS, and has the most software available.

Now, I would like to hear some real reasons as to why recent versions of Windows are so bad that you felt the need to create this rant, not your current response of "It's garbage".

commented: zing +0

lol. I had forgotten about that Maddox article.

Apple is a trend, particularly around college campuses. They see a regular laptop and they go into maximum-douchebag-overdrive, spouting off all sorts of absurd irrelevant "facts".
The annoying users that buy into this trend tend to not be very computer-savvy, and are sadly not the brightest individuals you'll meet.
There's plenty of other folks, out there, that are not like this, but many are now shying from revealing their ownership; just to avoid being associated with retards(anticonformity?).

The only reason that the Apple commercials work, is that they are true. The only reason that Apple owns the top end of the market, is that Apple delivers.

Go to your local guitar store. Ask at the counter what percentage of musicians own Macs, as compared to PCs. And then consider that Musicians don't tend to be geeks, and ask yourself why so many of them use Macs? It's because they work. And because musicians can't afford to loose their work to a virus.

Just like college and university students can't afford to loose their work to a virus. Having Windows blow up can cost your a semester, and that's a lot of money.

Windows has advantages?

Snide not-so-furtive remarks, don't advance your cause. Use subtler context in your "rebuttals"(or outright attacks).

>.. And then consider that Musicians don't tend to be geeks, and ask yourself why so many of them use Macs? It's because they work. And because musicians can't afford to loose their work to a virus.

What rubbish. If anyone buys easily into trends, it's musicians.. and anyway, you can't talk about the entire freakin' music industry as if it's dominated by Macs. It's not.

Not another OS war topic...
The history is repeating in every tech forum :).

Okay, I didn't read much of what was said (I tend not to pay much attention to fanboys). But anybody who says things like "Anyone who has a good understanding of operating systems in addition to Windows, generally won't use Windows" and "Linux driver support is far superior to Windows" as arguments for Linux should be instantly dismissed. It's not to say that there aren't quite a few very good arguments for Linux; they're just not these.

Why would the average user want to have an understanding of how operating systems work? Most people just want to get on a computer, use it, and get off. As far as I know, this is how it works with Windows (and Mac). It's possible with some tame versions of Linux too. Nobody wants to know what happening behind the scenes to allow them to do that.

Linux driver support is a far cry from superior. I don't understand how a rational person can come to the conclusion that it is. Do you realize that most Linux drivers are practically hacks because most hardware manufacturers don't bother to support linux (so the community has to do it themselves) and the ones that do write drivers so horrible that they break your system (nvidia and x server, anyone?)?

I don't get how Linux fanatics constantly complain about FUD when they are the worst perpetrators.

commented: Well said. +0
commented: agree +0

I totally agree with scru

And no, it's not only hobbyists who "can afford to be extreme" about such things. Business owners like myself

So we're talking about business owners now and not IT professionals? My comment was about people who are forced to follow the rules of a client or employer, not people who make their own rules. If you have the option to choose your favorite tool, more power to you. Most of us are not so lucky.

Have you ever tried to administer a linux or unix network? its hell. Windows server has it right when it active directory,and its management tools in my opinion.

P.S

re the results of the poll. 90% use windows. And the sum total of all other systems is less than half of the amount of users who said they used windows

Can you prove this without any weasel tricks like claiming that anyone who prefers Windows is ignorant? ;)

Predictably, you missed the point and tried to twist it into a straw man for your Windows bashing. :)

Tom, I know what I see, and that is that people with strong technical knowledge, people who I have a lot of respect for, think that way. And as a business owner, I know what I'd run. As an IT guy I know what I'd recommend (if I was still in IT). Yep, I've got the option, and I took it.

As to the Strawmen, if Windows is as bad as I think it is, why shouldn't I tell people? From a Christian viewpoint I would be totally wrong not to "pass the word."

Yes, intolerant. You cannot be right about an opinion, because opinions are subjective. In your opinion Microsoft products are garbage, and you have a few bullet points that justify your opinion. Not respecting different opinions, like those of the people who prefer Windows, is intolerant.

It's not an opinion. Can you refute that:

1) Windows is the most virus prone operating system
2) Windows is the most insecure operating system
3) Windows requires more maintenance than any other operating system
4) Windows is the only operating system that suffers from Spyware
5) Windows is the only operating system that is produced by Microsoft

Forget about arguments about numbers, popularity, and all that junk. Can you refute any of the arguments above (let's forget number 5, it was there only to make a point).

commented: you are just flaming instead of addressing the good points that people are making for both sides +0

>.. And then consider that Musicians don't tend to be geeks, and ask yourself why so many of them use Macs? It's because they work. And because musicians can't afford to loose their work to a virus.

What rubbish. If anyone buys easily into trends, it's musicians.. and anyway, you can't talk about the entire freakin' music industry as if it's dominated by Macs. It's not.

Musicians? You've got to be kidding. Musicians don't buy into trends. No, let me correct that. Professional musicians don't buy into trends. They can't afford to. Did you ever hear the joke:

"How does a Musician streamline his/her car? The remove the Pizza sign from the roof."

When a professional musician spends money, they do it carefully. Oh, there are a few, less and 1/10th of 1 percent who make good money, like the Rolling Stones. The average professional musician barely makes a living, so when they pick where to spend their money, well you can bet it won't be on a trend.

Okay, I didn't read much of what was said (I tend not to pay much attention to fanboys). But anybody who says things like "Anyone who has a good understanding of operating systems in addition to Windows, generally won't use Windows" and "Linux driver support is far superior to Windows" as arguments for Linux should be instantly dismissed. It's not to say that there aren't quite a few very good arguments for Linux; they're just not these.

Most of the techies I know don't use Windows. Won't use Windows. Except for gaming, which is a specialty application. As to drivers, I can pick up a copy of Moon OS and install it on most hardware, without the need to chase drivers. You can't do that with Windows.

So you can't say that those aren't damned good arguments for Linux. Now OSX has extremely limited driver support, but it's only supposed to run on Apple hardware, so driver support isn't an issue.

Why would the average user want to have an understanding of how operating systems work? Most people just want to get on a computer, use it, and get off. As far as I know, this is how it works with Windows (and Mac). It's possible with some tame versions of Linux too. Nobody wants to know what happening behind the scenes to allow them to do that.

They wouldn't. The average user just wants to use their computer. And that's why OSX and Linux are superior. With Windows you need to know what it's doing - or you have to hire someone to fix it. With Linux and OSX, well, they just work.

Linux driver support is a far cry from superior. I don't understand how a rational person can come to the conclusion that it is. Do you realize that most Linux drivers are practically hacks because most hardware manufacturers don't bother to support linux (so the community has to do it themselves) and the ones that do write drivers so horrible that they break your system (nvidia and x server, anyone?)?

I don't get how Linux fanatics constantly complain about FUD when they are the worst perpetrators.

I don't see how any rational person could consider Windows driver support to be superior. I've spent all too much time chasing drivers when installing Windows. I don't have to do that with Linux.
As to the community written drivers, I've found many of them to be superior to the drivers supplied by the hardware OEMs for Windows. Windows wireless drivers in particular have been an issue.
Oh, and of course there's some of the ATI video drivers, which appeared to have been written by an intern.

Have you ever tried to administer a linux or unix network? its hell. Windows server has it right when it active directory,and its management tools in my opinion.

P.S

re the results of the poll. 90% use windows. And the sum total of all other systems is less than half of the amount of users who said they used windows

Yes, I've administered a Linux network. I didn't find it any harder than administering a Windows network.

As to the number of people using Windows - I would have been surprised if the numbers had have been different here. I do know of websites where the Windows users are less than 50% of visitors.

Things are changing. And probably will change further, because Microsoft is under a lot of financial stress right now.

Most of the techies I know don't use Windows. Won't use Windows. Except for gaming, which is a specialty application. As to drivers, I can pick up a copy of Moon OS and install it on most hardware, without the need to chase drivers. You can't do that with Windows.

So you can't say that those aren't damned good arguments for Linux. Now OSX has extremely limited driver support, but it's only supposed to run on Apple hardware, so driver support isn't an issue.

They wouldn't. The average user just wants to use their computer. And that's why OSX and Linux are superior. With Windows you need to know what it's doing - or you have to hire someone to fix it. With Linux and OSX, well, they just work.

I don't see how any rational person could consider Windows driver support to be superior. I've spent all too much time chasing drivers when installing Windows. I don't have to do that with Linux.
As to the community written drivers, I've found many of them to be superior to the drivers supplied by the hardware OEMs for Windows. Windows wireless drivers in particular have been an issue.
Oh, and of course there's some of the ATI video drivers, which appeared to have been written by an intern.

Where to start, where to start...

You simply aren't going to fool anyone by claiming "most techies use Linux". Your own poll proves you wrong. Perhaps "most people who enjoy tinkering around in their OS" is more appropriate, but then the value of the argument is considerably diluted (and it wasn't even much to begin with).

As to your "chasing drivers" FUD, I challenge you to prove your assertion with this MoonOS versus Windows Vista (or 7 if you feel brave). I don't get what you mean by chasing drivers at all. Plug in a device, and have it automatically recognised. In the rare case that it isn't, pop in a CD or go to manufacturer's website and download it there. Unless you're talking about legacy hardware, and if that's the case don't even bother to engage me again.

Also, why do you need to know what Windows is doing in order to use it? How come Linux fanatics always seem to have these exaggerated nightmarish experiences with Windows that other people just don't seem to have? Can you give me an example of something that "just works" on Linux but gives people hell to use on Windows? You do that and the next person I meet wanting to do that thing, I will point them to Linux without bias.

As to wireless drivers being an issue on Windows, really? Google "Ubuntu wireless" and have a look at the countless forum threads and mailing lists of sob stories. Maybe it's just me though; I've had 3 Windows laptops (from different manufacturers) and none of them has ever had a problem with wireless drivers.

If you want me to do your job for you, I can actually list some good reasons to use [strikethrough]Linux[/strikethrough] Unix-like systems, in contrast to anti-MS rants, strawman arguments and FUD.

OK, so I get up, shower, eat, and open up my email client. Number 4 from the top is a Daniweb email telling me about the wonderful topics currently being discussed - here's the list:

* Prevent programs from saving to certain folder? in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Win7: To Migrate or Not to Migrate? in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Error Code 8024402c in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* connecting to localhost` in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Cant install any programs... Help! in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Windows 7 Regional Themes in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Hi every one in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* When I boot computer Error Appear. in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Add-on for Windows7 File Manager in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Laptop wont start.... in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Installing Ram Problem in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Hello everyone problem with audio on vista home in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Issues with moving from XP to Vista in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Vista + Fedora - Hibernate in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* windows 7 display driver in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* vista shared folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Ballmer Won't Call Google by Name in Interview in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* cd tray wont open.vista home basic in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Windows 7 Blue Screen in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* invalid boot.in file in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Icons on Desktop layered with another strange icon in ! Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Windows 7 Wallpapers in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* bad image in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* Is the FSF shooting the open-source community in the foot? in Windows Vista and Windows 7
* My Vista became incredible slow in Windows Vista and Windows 7

Now quite frankly, this list is enough to make me want to puke. This site is supposedly for geeks. Well, real geeks don't run Windows. Real geeks don't run any Microsoft products, because we understand enough about operating systems and application programs, to know that Microsoft products are total, absolute, pieces of garbage.

Microsloth (my pet name for them, because their product delivery dates are so often late) is probably the least competent corporation on the planet. Let's take a look at some of their products:

1) XBox360 - the most badly designed game console ever.
2) Microsoft Windows 1.0 - 5 years behind GEM and GEOS
3) Internet Exploder 3 - the only browser with a file size limit on downloads, curiously it was set low enough that you couldn't download Netscape with it.
4) Microsoft Outlook & Express - the most advanced virus transmission tools ever devised.
5) Internet Exploder 6 - Totally unable to render standards compliant web pages.
6) Microsoft Office 2007 SP1 - the only ODF "capable" application that can't properly write ODF files. This one is particularly note able because 20 other applications can do it - but the biggest software company on the planet was too incompetent to manage to do it right.
7) Security - let's face it - no other operating system on the planet has the security problems that Windows has, because they all use a proper security model, while Windows uses something that appears to have been designed by a drunken Zebra. Oh, and for all those who claim that Linux and OSX will suffer just as many virus problems when they get popular, well you're wrong. Linux and OSX were designed securely from the ground up. Even Microsoft admits that Windows was not designed to be secure.

I could continue - but you should have gotten the idea by this point. Windows is a total and utter piece of garbage, designed by an incompetent corporation, which wouldn't be able to survive if it hadn't managed to turn a clone of another operating system into a monopoly position in the market place.

What you have to ask yourself is, what are you going to do if Microsoft crashes and burns? Their year end financials were not that good, and if the first quarter results end up being what I think they will be, there is a significant possibility that this could happen. Don't laugh. Think. Where was General Motors 6 years ago? Did anyone think 6 years ago that General Motors would end up in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection?

Oh, I don't think Microsoft will die this year, or the next, but you should start putting together an exit plan just in case, and you this is a good option, it will run on damned near any hardware you can through at it, and even autodetected my wireless card, and ran it, with no need to search for drivers. You won't get that from Windows.

(emphasis mine)
I actually just read this. It might as well have been:

I'M AN IDIOT.

I'm pretty sure GM wasn't raking in billions (yes, that's a b) in profits 6 years ago.

But you'd love MS to fail wouldn't you? Then people might actually give a crap about Linux (and that might just be enough for it to become usable; it's either that or people stop using computers).

Where was General Motors 6 years ago? Did anyone think 6 years ago that General Motors would end up in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection?

YES. Everyone in the whole world (seeminly apart from those in america) knew that american cars are CRAP. GM has been in decline since the 1970s when Japan became the world leader.

Turnover:

2000 -1.3%
2001 -1.0%
2002 −0.9%
2003 −2.1%
2004 −1.0%
2005 −4.0%
2006 −8.7%
2007 −6.3%
2008 −22.9%

commented: :P +0

Your nonsense about true geeks etc is utterly pathetic, are you really suggesting that out of the 90% or woteva of the computer market that use windows, 0% of them are geeks?

I use a computer to do other things. All the OS does is enable me to do other things. I dont want to spend time faffing around making everything work, I want to do things that are fun or useful. Dont give me all this "linux is a doddle" crap, because Ive seen linux users do their thing, and its hard work, its a load of command line, compiling, and general nonsense to get even the most basic things setup. Which is all you are going to be able to get setup of course, because unless you want to surf the net, or watch video/music, code or run a server, theres nothing you can do on linux that cant be done far better on windows or osx. Even osx is pretty weak compared to windows 7, the only reason to use it is if all you do is surf/word process/video use (and have a thing for mac hardware/osx layout), or are a music producer (who can afford a pro version, because of course, normal macs now dont have the basic requirements for music production). Adobe dont care to code properly for mac, so even photo editing is better on windows.

Ive written too much already and I havent even begun to talk about all the completely nonsensical statements you have made about windows. You have the views of someone who last used windows in 1999, which, Im sure by no coincidence, is when this microsoft bashing was last cool.

(emphasis mine)I'm pretty sure GM wasn't raking in billions (yes, that's a b) in profits 6 years ago.

But you'd love MS to fail wouldn't you? Then people might actually give a crap about Linux (and that might just be enough for it to become usable; it's either that or people stop using computers).

Actually they were. General Motor's 10K for 2003 indicates gross sales of $185 Billion US, and Gross profits of $2.85 Billion US. Read carefully - the older SEC forms aren't as readable as the current ones.

YES. Everyone in the whole world (seemingly apart from those in America) knew that American cars are CRAP. GM has been in decline since the 1970s when Japan became the world leader.

Well, you and I may have known that, but Generous Motors made $185 Billion in sales in 2003 and $2.85 Billion Gross Profit, so a lot of other people (including a lot of people who invested in General Motors stock) didn't. You and I were in the minority 6 years ago.

Where to start, where to start...

You simply aren't going to fool anyone by claiming "most techies use Linux". Your own poll proves you wrong. Perhaps "most people who enjoy tinkering around in their OS" is more appropriate, but then the value of the argument is considerably diluted (and it wasn't even much to begin with).

No, it doesn't. This isn't what I would regard to as a techie site.

As to your "chasing drivers" FUD, I challenge you to prove your assertion with this MoonOS versus Windows Vista (or 7 if you feel brave). I don't get what you mean by chasing drivers at all. Plug in a device, and have it automatically recognised. In the rare case that it isn't, pop in a CD or go to manufacturer's website and download it there. Unless you're talking about legacy hardware, and if that's the case don't even bother to engage me again.

I'll tell you what. If you are willing to come to Toronto (since I'm sure you'd claim I cheat) with a bare system, I'll happily spend a day comparing installs.

Also, why do you need to know what Windows is doing in order to use it? How come Linux fanatics always seem to have these exaggerated nightmarish experiences with Windows that other people just don't seem to have? Can you give me an example of something that "just works" on Linux but gives people hell to use on Windows? You do that and the next person I meet wanting to do that thing, I will point them to Linux without bias.

Um, because it screws up so often was the reason I had in mind. Of course you could just take it to Geek Squad.

As to wireless drivers being an issue on Windows, really? Google "Ubuntu wireless" and have a look at the countless forum threads and mailing lists of sob stories. Maybe it's just me though; I've had 3 Windows laptops (from different manufacturers) and none of them has ever had a problem with wireless drivers.

Well, I used to have problems. Of course with the one computer it may have been Windows, and not the driver. I used the very same driver with Ubuntu on that computer, and didn't have any problems. Now I use the Linux native driver, it's easier.

If you want me to do your job for you, I can actually list some good reasons to use [strikethrough]Linux[/strikethrough] Unix-like systems, in contrast to anti-MS rants, strawman arguments and FUD.

Because they work better, of course.

Your nonsense about true geeks etc is utterly pathetic, are you really suggesting that out of the 90% or woteva of the computer market that use windows, 0% of them are geeks?

Considering how little the people here know about operating systems, yes.

I use a computer to do other things. All the OS does is enable me to do other things. I dont want to spend time faffing around making everything work, I want to do things that are fun or useful. Dont give me all this "linux is a doddle" crap, because Ive seen linux users do their thing, and its hard work, its a load of command line, compiling, and general nonsense to get even the most basic things setup. Which is all you are going to be able to get setup of course, because unless you want to surf the net, or watch video/music, code or run a server, theres nothing you can do on linux that cant be done far better on windows or osx. Even osx is pretty weak compared to windows 7, the only reason to use it is if all you do is surf/word process/video use (and have a thing for mac hardware/osx layout), or are a music producer (who can afford a pro version, because of course, normal macs now dont have the basic requirements for music production). Adobe dont care to code properly for mac, so even photo editing is better on windows.

That's why I like Linux. I can just get my stuff done. As to your tales of Command Lines, etc., you can do the same thing in Windows. And just like in Windows, you don't have to. I know some people who love the command line, me, well, I avoid it.
As to OSX against Windows 7 - from what I've seen of my son's install of Windows 7 Beta, OSX has it beat. As to normal Macs not having the capabilities for music production, we used my bottom line white MacBook to record a CD, and it worked fine. As to Photo editing, use Aperture (or the Gimp if you like Free Software).

Ive written too much already and I havent even begun to talk about all the completely nonsensical statements you have made about windows. You have the views of someone who last used windows in 1999, which, Im sure by no coincidence, is when this microsoft bashing was last cool.

I stopped using Windows in 2006, when Windows XP SP2 took out my 4 month old laptop, while I was on holiday. When I got home I installed Ubuntu on it, and it's been running with Ubuntu ever since, with no problems.

I wonder why I don't believe you? Possibly it's because all of my experience tells me that a Linux distro cannot be slower than Windows, and that Linux driver support is far superior to Windows.

Sorry buddy, I really have enough of trying all those different Linux distro's, I can believe you when you say that Linux provides better hardware support than Windows, but I've not noticed this yet, come on, I'm not going to spend days on trying to figure out how my Wireless network card works.
Linux may be (nearly) virus proof, I'm sure the chance you get a virus drastically decreases when you can't be online :P

Now that I don't believe. Win2K is basically an early version of XP, and the same exploits work.

I'm aware of the exploits, but does it mean because an OS has exploits, you'll automatically get loads of viruses on your computer? I don't think so.

The only problem I really have with Vista is the annoying, consistent 'do you really want to do X activity' messages and the fact that it hogs my RAM (which isn't a problem on my 4GB computer I now have). All I use is ad-aware and I have never had any problems with malware.

I don't know about most of your points, but it seems that you don't know the definition of an opinion. In any case, I have spoken with a number of IT professionals, and they all have claimed that windows' security problems are more due to its popularity than its inherent flaws.

The only problem I really have with Vista is the annoying, consistent 'do you really want to do X activity' messages and the fact that it hogs my RAM (which isn't a problem on my 4GB computer I now have). All I use is ad-aware and I have never had any problems with malware.

I don't know about most of your points, but it seems that you don't know the definition of an opinion. In any case, I have spoken with a number of IT professionals, and they all have claimed that windows' security problems are more due to its popularity than its inherent flaws.

From what I have seen, Vista will just take a chunk of your RAM and sit on it, regardless of whether or not it needs it, and it appears it will take more RAM if you have more available...

Personally, I disable UAC straight away, I have a decent firewall which alerts me to any untrusted programs trying to access system files/registry keys/whatever :)

On topic, I have used multiple flavours of Linux. I find that if you go out and get your own hardware Linux is ok, but if you have a unit with OEM hardware (especially some Broadcom wireless chips) then drivers become somewhat of a nightmare.

Comparing the latest Ubuntu and OpenSuse distros to Vista, yes, installing the OS is faster than Vista, but Vista picks up the drivers in both my PC and Laptop no problem, but i cannot be bothered to mess with ndiswrapper and finding the windows drivers just to get Linux working.

I would totaly agree with most oppinions conserning windows and microsoft in this thread and yes i have used/uses linux, but windows is superior and not cuz it's better but, because a large part of software are developed for windows. If linux ran directx and a few other programs and games that i want accesses to i would never get within 5 feet of a windows machine. But as the world OS market looks today i will probebly stick with windows. Sure there are games to linux running opengl, small non proffessional projects, but in comparison to directx opengl is just bad.

I have often wondered why is it that Linux users love to bash Windows.
There are members on other forums that even go out of their way to do so, yet I haven't seen the opposite.
I'm a Windows user and have been for 12 years, started with Windows 98. Have built 3 computers for myself in the last 5 years and never had any problems that I couldn't immediately remedy with any of them. All 3 are still in use.
I have tried Ubuntu and OpenSUSE and I found them a little difficult, installing what I wanted and generally getting familiarized with the system.
I prefer Windows and just because I think Windows is better, I don't go around bashing Linux. Users Preference.
I usually stick to the basics, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and that's usually what get's Windows users in trouble.
I could also post a long list of problems Linux users face and the same applies here too.
You take any computer, any OS and run it as is, you won't have any problems. As soon as you tinker with it, well, we all know the outcome.
"A computer is only infallible as it's user."
For what it's worth, thought I'd add my 2cents.

commented: agreed +0

Madhatter:
lol@having a 4month old laptop conk out on you with xp sp2. May i suggest that you arent half the super geek you think you are? Ive got 4 machines in my house running xp, and havent needed a reinstall in about 4 years.

You really think ripping a cd is the sort of functionality music producers are looking for? Just shows how little you know about what people are actually using computers for, so wrapped up are you in the idea that an operating system is an interesting part of a computer. The reason you need at least a Pro line mac these days is because of the lack of firewire on other models, which is needed in order to run the audio interfaces that music producers need.

As for the other photo editing software you are suggesting, yeh great, unless you want to actually take part in the industry like a serious professional.

You are confusing being fine for the amateur hobbyist merely playing around, with meeting the needs of those people who are working in industry and do things seriously.

You know nothing.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.