The reason you need at least a Pro line mac these days is because of the lack of firewire on other models, which is needed in order to run the audio interfaces that music producers need.

Well if macs didnt use stupid nonstandard hardware, you could just add a £10 firwire card instead of spending an extra £1000 on a better model system;)

Sorry buddy, I really have enough of trying all those different Linux distro's, I can believe you when you say that Linux provides better hardware support than Windows, but I've not noticed this yet, come on, I'm not going to spend days on trying to figure out how my Wireless network card works.
Linux may be (nearly) virus proof, I'm sure the chance you get a virus drastically decreases when you can't be online :P

I'm aware of the exploits, but does it mean because an OS has exploits, you'll automatically get loads of viruses on your computer? I don't think so.

And your nickname doesn't seem to fit with your attitude. Curious.

If you don't have anything decent to add, then shut up with these pointless remarks.
Just accept that you're not going to convert anybody who reads this away from Windows, it's a waste of time.

Well, if we're going to start about nicknames: the mad in your nickname exactly fits with your attitude.

commented: You Champion! +0

The only problem I really have with Vista is the annoying, consistent 'do you really want to do X activity' messages and the fact that it hogs my RAM (which isn't a problem on my 4GB computer I now have). All I use is ad-aware and I have never had any problems with malware.

I don't know about most of your points, but it seems that you don't know the definition of an opinion. In any case, I have spoken with a number of IT professionals, and they all have claimed that windows' security problems are more due to its popularity than its inherent flaws.

Since I've avoided Vista, I don't have any experience with UAC. I have a lot of experience with the 'Nix security system, and its not as intrusive as what I've been told the Vista UAC is.

As to your IT professionals - they are wrong. Which makes them not very professional in my book.

Let me explain the difference in simple terms. Windows is an integrated system. Everything is tied together with everything else. Any exploit therefore can affect all of the system. The various 'Nix systems, such as OSX, Linux, the various BSD versions, and Solaris, aren't integrated, they are modular. The modules are assembled into the operating system like building blocks, and are totally separate, which means that an exploit that affects one part of the system (say the networking interface) cannot affect the others.

So even if Linux was to gain 99.99% popularity (or OSX as unlikely as that is) it could not be affected the way Windows is.

For an example of the modularity consider Ubuntu.

Ubuntu = Gnome Desktop
KUbuntu = KDE Desktop
XUbuntu = XFCE Destop
Crunch Bang = Open Box
Moon OS = Enlightenment
Fluxbuntu = Flux Box
Spri = Ice Worm
U-Lite = LXDE

All of the above use the same base, but because of the modularity, it was possible to modify the base Ubuntu with different desktop environments. It used to be possible to do this with Windows back in the Windows 3 days, but Microsoft has removed this capability. I don't know for certain what their reasoning is, however I was told that it's so that users have a consistent "user experience". Of course those who'd like to modify their copy of Windows are out of luck.

commented: The plague. +0

From what I have seen, Vista will just take a chunk of your RAM and sit on it, regardless of whether or not it needs it, and it appears it will take more RAM if you have more available...

Personally, I disable UAC straight away, I have a decent firewall which alerts me to any untrusted programs trying to access system files/registry keys/whatever :)

On topic, I have used multiple flavours of Linux. I find that if you go out and get your own hardware Linux is ok, but if you have a unit with OEM hardware (especially some Broadcom wireless chips) then drivers become somewhat of a nightmare.

Comparing the latest Ubuntu and OpenSuse distros to Vista, yes, installing the OS is faster than Vista, but Vista picks up the drivers in both my PC and Laptop no problem, but i cannot be bothered to mess with ndiswrapper and finding the windows drivers just to get Linux working.

That's curious - I've found Broadcom support to be excellent with Linux. NDiswrapper is a legacy thing - you don't need it now, and I haven't run it since 7.10 came out. Windows XP has no Broadcom support built in, don't know about Vista.

I would totaly agree with most oppinions conserning windows and microsoft in this thread and yes i have used/uses linux, but windows is superior and not cuz it's better but, because a large part of software are developed for windows. If linux ran directx and a few other programs and games that i want accesses to i would never get within 5 feet of a windows machine. But as the world OS market looks today i will probebly stick with windows. Sure there are games to linux running opengl, small non proffessional projects, but in comparison to directx opengl is just bad.

You can run DirectX under WINE. I had the Windows version of Neverwinter Nights running under Ubuntu.

For an example of the modularity consider Ubuntu.

Ubuntu = Gnome Desktop
KUbuntu = KDE Desktop
XUbuntu = XFCE Destop
Crunch Bang = Open Box
Moon OS = Enlightenment
Fluxbuntu = Flux Box
Spri = Ice Worm
U-Lite = LXDE

Vista is also modular, and as far as Linux is concerned I don't like all those different kind of desktops, I just prefer to use something standard, something which I always feel comfortable with, not something which changes if you move to another Linux-loaded PC.

You can run DirectX under WINE. I had the Windows version of Neverwinter Nights running under Ubuntu.

Why using DirectX? Weren't you an Anti-Microsoft person?
Now it's really becoming curious.

Madhatter:
lol@having a 4month old laptop conk out on you with xp sp2. May i suggest that you arent half the super geek you think you are? Ive got 4 machines in my house running xp, and havent needed a reinstall in about 4 years.

Hey, I've seen desktop machines last for years too. For some reason I've never had any luck with Windows and Laptops. My wife's laptop died about 4 months after that. Again, installing Linux solved the problem.

You really think ripping a cd is the sort of functionality music producers are looking for? Just shows how little you know about what people are actually using computers for, so wrapped up are you in the idea that an operating system is an interesting part of a computer. The reason you need at least a Pro line mac these days is because of the lack of firewire on other models, which is needed in order to run the audio interfaces that music producers need.

Ripping a CD? Hell no, I'm talking CD production. As to Firewire, it's only available on the base White MacBook now, the Aluminum MacBook Pro line doesn't have Firewire.

Which isn't really an issue, since my recording gear is all USB, and all of my laptops have USB, no matter what make.

As for the other photo editing software you are suggesting, yeh great, unless you want to actually take part in the industry like a serious professional.

Nope. Don't want to be part of the industry. But a lot of photographers use Macs, and they swear by Aperture. I've never tried it myself, this is just what was recommended to my daughter when she decided to take up photography.

You are confusing being fine for the amateur hobbyist merely playing around, with meeting the needs of those people who are working in industry and do things seriously.

You know nothing.

Right. And you are a genius, who knows everything.

Well if macs didnt use stupid nonstandard hardware, you could just add a £10 firwire card instead of spending an extra £1000 on a better model system;)

Actually it's the cheapest model that has the Firewire port. The more expensive ones no longer have it.

Of course Firewire and USB will be totally obsolete in another year when Light Peak is introduced.

Well, if we're going to start about nicknames: the mad in your nickname exactly fits with your attitude.

Truth in Advertising, me bucko.

To answer the question "Why would everyone use Windows?":

• Maybe because it's delivered by default if you buy a new computer? (OEM)
  • Maybe because Microsoft gives away free licenses of their software products (Windows and Office) for schools (don't know about other countries, but in Belgium this is the case), so pupils do use Windows in their schools and what's going to convince them to change if they've everything they need?
  • Maybe because people want something which all the other people in their environment do use?
  • Maybe because nearly every commercial software package is for Windows?
  • Maybe because people are just happy with it?

Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post

Why using DirectX? Weren't you an Anti-Microsoft person?
Now it's really becoming curious.

Because I like playing Dungeons and Dragons, but it's hard to get a group together. And since Neverwinter Nights won't run without Direct X, well, I had to use it. Or at least it wouldn't then. They now offer a native Linux port that you can download from the Neverwinter website, as long as you've purchased the boxed set.

Of course Firewire and USB will be totally obsolete in another year when Light Peak is introduced.

Doubt it. In case you havent noticed, Serial (RS232) plugs, and VGA (DS-15) connectors are still ubiqitous, at least 20+ years since thier inception. Same goes for Hi-Fi. Most audiophiles use Phono or DIN plugs, where S/PDIF (A digital optical technology), or even digital coaxial cable, could give a better sound.

People stay with what they know, what is cheap, and what is common.

Sure there are games to linux running opengl, small non proffessional projects, but in comparison to directx opengl is just bad.

There are also a lot of OpenGL windows games . Have you ever actually coded in either? I assume not seeing as you dont know the difference between DirectX and Direct3D.

I love it mad hatter... I totally agree. RANT ON!

@ The Mad Hatter. If you are going to quote several members consecutively, there is a multi-quote reply option you can use.
That will save us having to see your username so often :D

commented: oh snap! +0
commented: yeah +0

Heh. Of course I'm anti-Microsoft! I have seen the light children, and the light is FREE SOFTWARE! Protect us from the EVILS of the Proprietary Software Manufacturers WHO SELL US OUT TO THE RIAA and install SPYWARE (Windows Genuine Disadvantage) on our COMPUTERS!

Obviously you are anti microsoft. But you never admitted to being a troll. ;)

Seriously though - do you trust Microsoft? Do you trust Apple? You shouldn't. They are working towards their own best interests, which quite probably are not your best interests.

Of course I don't trust them. They are large multi billion dollar industries. Finally, something I can agree with you on. :)

Of course you can trust me, I'm a paragon of virtue, and would never mislead you.

LOL. Hey, your kinda funny when your not raving like a lunatic. ;)

Seriously though - do you trust Microsoft? Do you trust Apple? You shouldn't. They are working towards their own best interests, which quite probably are not your best interests.

Their best interests also has to satisfy our best interests, or they will quickly lose users, so no I don't agree. A good OS will attract more users, and it's not like Microsoft hasn't got enough money to provide us with a good one.

Their best interests also has to satisfy our best interests, or they will quickly lose users, so no I don't agree. A good OS will attract more users, and it's not like Microsoft hasn't got enough money to provide us with a good one.

Well, obviously they aren't gonna purposely make a poor product just to spite us. ;)
They want to make a good product so they will make as much money as possible. That's what big corporations care about. MONEY. And the best way to make alot of money is to make a good product that lots of people will buy. I agree with you there.

I say just ignore the thing until it crawls back under the bridge. It cannot be reasoned with.

commented: Nice troll analogy. +0
commented: Too true! +0

If *nix drivers are so superior then why doesn't my Logitech wireless mouse work on Fedora 11 but works perfectly on Vista Home? If it were the battery then it would fail on both os.

I will admit that the file system on Fedora is a lot faster than the NTFS on Vista. I have some test file-intensive programs ported to both operating systems and they all run quite a bit faster on Fedora.

I say just ignore the thing until it crawls back under the bridge. It cannot be reasoned with.

Thats what I said 4 or 5 pages back. People keep feeding him though.

To answer the question "Why would everyone use Windows?":

• Maybe because it's delivered by default if you buy a new computer? (OEM)
  • Maybe because Microsoft gives away free licenses of their software products (Windows and Office) for schools (don't know about other countries, but in Belgium this is the case), so pupils do use Windows in their schools and what's going to convince them to change if they've everything they need?
  • Maybe because people want something which all the other people in their environment do use?
  • Maybe because nearly every commercial software package is for Windows?
  • Maybe because people are just happy with it?

Free computers for schools? Ever hear of EDGI? It's a Microsoft program (that was documented in the Coombes Court Case) which is designed to make sure that nothing except Windows is used in schools.

But, hey, those are all reasons. But there's a lot of reasons not to use Windows too, which was my point.

Doubt it. In case you havent noticed, Serial (RS232) plugs, and VGA (DS-15) connectors are still ubiqitous, at least 20+ years since thier inception. Same goes for Hi-Fi. Most audiophiles use Phono or DIN plugs, where S/PDIF (A digital optical technology), or even digital coaxial cable, could give a better sound.

People stay with what they know, what is cheap, and what is common.

There are also a lot of OpenGL windows games . Have you ever actually coded in either? I assume not seeing as you dont know the difference between DirectX and Direct3D.

Yeah, there's a lot of obsolete technology still in use. This doesn't make it a good idea <G>. And it's not necessarily a case of using what they know, it's more often a case of using what the computer OEMS offer, which is often not the best. Buy hey, it's cheap.

Oh hell - I used to do a lot of coding. But I never have done any GUI crap, and I don't do any graphics. But that's me, and my stuff is specialty stuff that 99.9999% of people are never going to need. Have you ever heard of Trade Wars 2002?

@ The Mad Hatter. If you are going to quote several members consecutively, there is a multi-quote reply option you can use.
That will save us having to see your username so often :D

Thanks - learned something new.

Obviously you are anti microsoft. But you never admitted to being a troll. ;)

Of course I don't trust them. They are large multi billion dollar industries. Finally, something I can agree with you on. :)

LOL. Hey, your kinda funny when your not raving like a lunatic. ;)

Of course I'm a raving lunatic. I'm Canadian.

They have the money. But do they have the interest? The problem is that Microsoft may not. Did you read Charlie's article You have no rights, so buy Windows 7?

Well, obviously they aren't gonna purposely make a poor product just to spite us. ;)
They want to make a good product so they will make as much money as possible. That's what big corporations care about. MONEY. And the best way to make alot of money is to make a good product that lots of people will buy. I agree with you there.

OK, so in that case why did GM deliver us crap for so many years (and note that I come from a GM family - my father who died at 83 a couple of years ago, never owned anything but GM till he bought a Chrysler minivan in 2000)? You make the assumption that a company is capable of having any long term view past the next quarterly report, and it seems that many companies aren't capable of doing that.

commented: Charlie's article is crap. Just check the comments. +0

Free computers for schools?

I said free licenses, not free computers.

But there's a lot of reasons not to use Windows too, which was my point.

You really aren't going to convince me (and probably the other people as well) as long as something very worse happens to me as a result of using Windows.

Ever hear of EDGI? It's a Microsoft program (that was documented in the Coombes Court Case) which is designed to make sure that nothing except Windows is used in schools.

Except for the fact that most computers in schools outside of the US *dont* run windows....

I know but runnning directx under wine is horrible.

OK, so in that case why did GM deliver us crap for so many years (and note that I come from a GM family - my father who died at 83 a couple of years ago, never owned anything but GM till he bought a Chrysler minivan in 2000)? You make the assumption that a company is capable of having any long term view past the next quarterly report, and it seems that many companies aren't capable of doing that.

GM used to make great cars. My dad used to own two GM cars and both lasted for over 20 years. I'm no car expert but why do you think GM is doing so poorly nowadays? Because people picked up on the fact that they make a crappy product, so people stopped buying them. Thank you for proving my point for me.

Wow, it is like going to AceOfSpades and/or DemocraticUnderground; trolling, adamant statements of opinion as fact, inability to allow 'the other side' to have a valid point, screen after screen of rant/counter-rant - this could have been fun but I don't have a dog in this fight. Once I put down my Amiga and took up a WinDoze machine, I knew I had gone over to the dark side but - you know what - the world is a very big place and so there is always a place for you to go where people behave and act in ways that you believe is wrong and must stop.

Take your religious fervor to a place where it is appreciated. If you have strong religious/political views just go hang out where everyone shares your opinion. Why stop in here where we are all enjoying ourselves just to tell us we are all wrong and should believe/act/follow whatever mandates you have for us.

If you do not like the fact that 'geeks' here also use WinDoze machines and this offends your sensibilities - don't let the door hit you on the butt on your way out.

If on the other hand, you learn that TWIAVBP and that there is room for everyone in it, then pull up some electrons and and join in on the fun.

commented: Damn straight ;) Nice post. +0

I said free licenses, not free computers.

You really aren't going to convince me (and probably the other people as well) as long as something very worse happens to me as a result of using Windows.

Licenses. Sorry.
No, didn't expect to convert you. I expected to get a discussion going, and get people thinking.

Except for the fact that most computers in schools outside of the US *dont* run windows....

Microsoft is trying to change that, thus the Edgi program. For example this article about Spain:
Spanish Government to Hand Schools Over to Microsoft
There's been quite a fuss against this, many of the school districts were up in arms at the idea of paying more, for a system that does less. Still the President of Spain likes the idea, and may force it through.

I know but runnning directx under wine is horrible.

I didn't find it that bad. It worked pretty well actually.

GM used to make great cars. My dad used to own two GM cars and both lasted for over 20 years. I'm no car expert but why do you think GM is doing so poorly nowadays? Because people picked up on the fact that they make a crappy product, so people stopped buying them. Thank you for proving my point for me.

That's one reason. My dad was a union man. He was pretty damned upset when Roger Smith screwed Flint Michigan. Though why he switched to Chrysler I'm still not sure, I told him he should buy Honda.

Wow, it is like going to AceOfSpades and/or DemocraticUnderground; trolling, adamant statements of opinion as fact, inability to allow 'the other side' to have a valid point, screen after screen of rant/counter-rant - this could have been fun but I don't have a dog in this fight. Once I put down my Amiga and took up a WinDoze machine, I knew I had gone over to the dark side but - you know what - the world is a very big place and so there is always a place for you to go where people behave and act in ways that you believe is wrong and must stop.

Take your religious fervor to a place where it is appreciated. If you have strong religious/political views just go hang out where everyone shares your opinion. Why stop in here where we are all enjoying ourselves just to tell us we are all wrong and should believe/act/follow whatever mandates you have for us.

If you do not like the fact that 'geeks' here also use WinDoze machines and this offends your sensibilities - don't let the door hit you on the butt on your way out.

If on the other hand, you learn that TWIAVBP and that there is room for everyone in it, then pull up some electrons and and join in on the fun.

What are AceOfSpades and DemocraticUnderground? Never heard of them.
As to my opinions - they aren't opinions. They are the truth. Do your research, you'll find out I'm right.
Oh, and while you are at it, here's a little article I wrote about Astroturfing last night, that you might find interesting.

commented: Will you learn when to STFU? +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.