I would have thought you would have quoted someone closer to your own, cold climate, rather than someone in my part of the world.
Too many juicy bits to tell and not enough time.

So basically you are talking crap, like we thought for 99% of this thread.

Are they? There aren't any exploits that affect the IPhone's security, just as there aren't any exploits that affect Linux's security. In fact the IPhone is one of the most secure platforms around.

But Apple keeps plugging them, and pretty quickly.

Slight contradiction of yourself there.

Again, talking crap...

This is one of the reasons that Apple is heavily involved in putting together the HTML5 Specification, which removes the need for Flash and Silverlight for showing video.

Apple ARENT for it. They think thier own H.264 codec is much better but HTML5 will use OGG (vorbis/theora), which has pretty poor compatibility with windows (indeed the only browser currently support HTML5 <video> tags is FF3.5)

I would have thought you would have quoted someone closer to your own, cold climate, rather than someone in my part of the world.
Too many juicy bits to tell and not enough time.

That would assume that the Ontario Provincial Police knew what a computer was.

So basically you are talking crap, like we thought for 99% of this thread.
Slight contradiction of yourself there.

Hum, quote killed the context - what I said was that there wasn't any exploits on the IPhone, and then that exploits were fixed quickly, which is of course why there aren't any exploits.

Xan thinks that the fact that there have been exploits means I'm full of bovine by-product.

You could take it either way, but I prefer my take (of course).

Again, talking crap...
Apple ARENT for it. They think thier own H.264 codec is much better but HTML5 will use OGG (vorbis/theora), which has pretty poor compatibility with windows (indeed the only browser currently support HTML5 <video> tags is FF3.5)

Now you are getting into some real fun stuff. H.264 may be better, but it's patent encumbered, and unless the U.S. Supreme Court decides that software cannot be patented, H.264 cannot be used by Free or Open Source Software in the Excited States of Hamerica. It can be used legally in Canada and other countries where software cannot be patented.

As to Ogg's reputed incompatibility with Windows, I first used Ogg on Windows, so it's not "incompatible." What's lacking is browser support, which could be added easily (Konqueror supports Ogg, and WebKit, the base of Safari and Chrome is a Konqueror derivative). So basically everything except Internet Exploder could be modified to support it quickly, and since Google released the Chrome Plugin for Internet Exploder, it would be able to support it too, which Microsoft will not appreciate. For a good articles on Standards Support in IE see here and here. It appears that Google's Plugin may be the best thing to happen to Internet Exploder ever.

The reason that Apple, Google, etc. are nervous about Ogg is that while the designer has released it's patents for use in Ogg, it's always possible that a third party could claim it infringes their patents after Ogg has been implemented in Safari and Chrome. Both Google and Apple have money, making them juicy targets for a patent infringement lawsuit. The Mozilla Foundation doesn't have any money, so no patent holder would bother with them.

Again, it all comes down to the SCOTUS ruling. Because the U.S., even in it's current debilitated state consumes such a large proportion of software and hardware, it's legal system tends to have an over sized effect on software and hardware in the rest of the world.

However as crazy as the U.S. is, at least they aren't crazy enough to try and implement something like the Great Firewall and Blocklist of Australia.

I love how when someone disagrees with you you just ignore thier point entirely (e.g #41, #75, #100, #106, #108)

and you can legally use H.264 on linux by obtaining a licenced codec - you can do by purchacing the codec pack from Fluendo. This also enables you to legally watch copy protected DVDs in the US.

I love how when someone disagrees with you you just ignore thier point entirely

I hate it :P He's nothing but plain annoying, it's like a one way argument, he just keep trying to find more.

Thats what happens when you feed trolls.

Hum, quote killed the context - what I said was that there wasn't any exploits on the IPhone, and then that exploits were fixed quickly, which is of course why there aren't any exploits.

Xan thinks that the fact that there have been exploits means I'm full of bovine by-product.

You could take it either way, but I prefer my take (of course).

Yes, the quote was out of context, but had you said there were not any known issues, I would have agreed with you.

Yes, Apple plug the problems quickly, but the fact that some have been found show that there are faults and it is entirely possible that more will be found in the future. So saying 'There aren't any exploits that affect the IPhone's security' is incorrect. You have not seen the operating system source so you cannot say that there are not any problems.

I love how when someone disagrees with you you just ignore thier point entirely (e.g #41, #75, #100, #106, #108)

and you can legally use H.264 on linux by obtaining a licenced codec - you can do by purchacing the codec pack from Fluendo. This also enables you to legally watch copy protected DVDs in the US.

I don't need to buy it - I live in Canada, where software patents aren't legal. The H.264 licensing depends upon software patents, and if you live in a country where software patents don't exist, there is no need to purchase a license.

Miro and Videolan both have good implementations of the H.264 codec, which are legal for use in Canada (and come in Windows, Mac, and Linux versions). Of course there's nothing stopping you from downloading them in the U.S., and if you have Windows on your computer, you already have paid for the codecs. You should try them, they are both pretty good.

Now what precisely was the point that you believe I missed?

I'm not scouring the whole thread to point out what you missed - all you have to do is go back and read it again. But I don't understand why you think the fact that an opinion exists makes it the truth. (For example, you keep quoting articles/linking to articles, as if the fact that those articles exist somehow makes the opinions they express true rather than just another opinion).

Okay i have just finished reading the whole thread... And i noticed something you said:

Um, tried Microsoft works back in the bad old days (Windows 3.1) and never touched it since, it was so bad.

Wow, it was bad back then?! Woop Dee Doo. Things get upgraded, you would know that. I used Ubuntu on and off over the past few years. It got better as it was upgraded, lots better. Still every time i went back to windows because you know what? I could double click on a setup and have it work. I didnt have to go to the repositries, make sure i have all of the setup packages. And in the end i could find all the tools i needed on windows.

So if Ubuntu gets lots better with releases, why wouldn't windows? I am still using XP and it works really well, i never have driver issues, crashes, or anything that i cant fix in 10 minutes or less.

So if you havent used windows properly since 3.1 you really should be getting yourself a bit more educated. Its like me saying the latest ferarri has terrible handling and i hated it and its fuel economy. But seeing i am not old enough to drive i obviously don't know this first hand. All you are feeding us and news posts and "I think windows sucks because..." yeah sure opinion is great, but let it be educated.

commented: Very good points. +0
commented: Agree +0
commented: well said +0
commented: Makes a lot of good points. +0

Okay i have just finished reading the whole thread... And i noticed something you said:

Wow, it was bad back then?! Woop Dee Doo. Things get upgraded, you would know that. I used Ubuntu on and off over the past few years. It got better as it was upgraded, lots better. Still every time i went back to windows because you know what? I could double click on a setup and have it work. I didnt have to go to the repositries, make sure i have all of the setup packages. And in the end i could find all the tools i needed on windows.

So if Ubuntu gets lots better with releases, why wouldn't windows? I am still using XP and it works really well, i never have driver issues, crashes, or anything that i cant fix in 10 minutes or less.

So if you havent used windows properly since 3.1 you really should be getting yourself a bit more educated. Its like me saying the latest ferarri has terrible handling and i hated it and its fuel economy. But seeing i am not old enough to drive i obviously don't know this first hand. All you are feeding us and news posts and "I think windows sucks because..." yeah sure opinion is great, but let it be educated.

It was Works that I dropped back then, not Windows. I've used every version of Windows from 3.0 to ME (on the DOS side) and from NT 3.5 to XP on the NT side. I've also used GEOS, GEM, OS2, Solaris, OSX, OS9, BSD, Linux, and the XP clone who's name I can't remember.

Yes, Works has probably improved, but I never did go back to look, and now it doesn't exist anymore.

from NT 3.5 to XP on the NT side

if you havent tried vista or windows7 you arent in a position to talk about the good and bad points of windows vs other systems...

if you havent tried vista or windows7 you arent in a position to talk about the good and bad points of windows vs other systems...

Exactly, things have changed. Once you have educated yourself, then you can start arguments.

Exactly, things have changed. Once you have educated yourself, then you can start arguments.

Remember Scottie's line in the original series episode "Friday's Child", Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me. I'm not going back to Windows. In fact I was a real fool, because after Windows 95, I used Windows 98, and ME, and NT 3.5, NT 4.0, Win2K, and XP. all of which was pretty damned foolish, because the only one that worked at all well, was Win2K, and it was limited.

So, no. I'm no trying Vista or Vista Seven.

Then there it no point trying to preach your ideas to us because your ideas are outdated.

So stop your trolling.

Then there it no point trying to preach your ideas to us because your ideas are outdated.

So stop your trolling.

Lol. Soo much irony.

http://www.mac-sucks.com/switch_why.php

[professional googler/internets troller]

http://themacsucks.com/

OK, so Crunchie and PaulThom think I should let myself get screwed again by a company that I have zero respect for, just to make them happy. NOT.

And yeah, Mac's aren't perfect. However I've never had my MacBook crash once in two years of heavy use, and it's been all over North America during that time. So, yeah, I'm pretty happy with it. As they say, it just works.

And it's the same with the computers I have Linux installed on, they just keep running.

Oh, both OSX and Linux need updating regularly, just like Windows. But that's not a big deal.

And with Linux, it's even possible to pull and entire OS upgrade just by clicking on one button, and leaving it overnight. You can't do that with Windows or OSX (of course not - they can't make any money off you that way).

Here's a link that you'll find amusing - Small Businesses Should Bank Securely – And That Means Linux: Wired via the Washington Post

OK, so Crunchie and PaulThom think I should let myself get screwed again by a company that I have zero respect for, just to make them happy. NOT.

You wont know until you've tried, and until you do, you're in no position to judge it.

You wont know until you've tried, and until you do, you're in no position to judge it.

Well, I have tried it. I just don't own a copy. I know a lot of people who are running Vista, and I've used their machines. Quite frankly it's a bit of a snore. It runs slow on modern hardware, and it doesn't seem to offer anything new, that is anything that XP didn't have, except for slightly better security.
My son is running Windows 7 (the beta I think), and it looks a lot like OSX would look like if Liberace did the Industrial Design work. It seems to run the same as Vista.
All told, I probably have about 40 hours time on Vista and Windows 7. That's a lot longer than you would have if you were computer shopping, and my take is that it doesn't offer any value. If I was buying PC hardware, I'd click no to the EULA, ask for a refund, and install Linux.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/13/snow_leopard_data_eating_bug_predates_now_leopard/

Every OS has bugs. Hell, Ubuntu has one that is open from August 20/2004, which they are still working on, and which they don't think will be fixed for a while yet.

Really, is this going anywhere? I mean is there any point to us continuing to post here? If you want a good discussion you have to give and take, not just instantly say "Your wrong..." because we are right some of the time, and part of a discussion is to admit that.

So grow up and stop trolling.

As an aside, did you know that Longhorn, the predecessor to Vista, is still available? While further development on it has ceased due to a cease and desist order from Microsoft, a bunch of fans kept working on it after Vista was released, a state of rebellion that Microsoft couldn't allow. Anyway, if you want to try it, you can get it SNIPPED

Linking to illegal copies of Windows will not help your case either.

Daniweb rules;

........do not post anything warez related or related to other illegal acts............

What will happen: The offending post will be deleted and legal authorities may be contacted.
First offense: 5 point infraction will remain on user's record for 6 months.

Indeed. I just spotted that. An infraction has been given (ive flagged it for editing)

What I cannot understand is why this idiotic discussion has been allowed to continue, the OP is eithera troll or a narrow minded person who is unable to accept the views of others. Close the thread please!

commented: yup +0

What I cannot understand is why this idiotic discussion has been allowed to continue, the OP is eithera troll or a narrow minded person who is unable to accept the views of others. Close the thread please!

Agreed, this thread stopped being entertaining about 12 pages ago.
@The Mad Hatter
This is a vast community. You should share your knowledge and help people who are having problems with their hardware or programming problems. Just don't impose your views on people there. They ask questions and you provide assistance. And bouns: you get to be mean to people who don't show effort on their work. What more can you ask for? ;)

commented: correct! +0

Well, that shut him up :D.

Agreed, this thread stopped being entertaining about 12 pages ago.
@The Mad Hatter
This is a vast community. You should share your knowledge and help people who are having problems with their hardware or programming problems. Just don't impose your views on people there. They ask questions and you provide assistance. And bouns: you get to be mean to people who don't show effort on their work. What more can you ask for? ;)

Really, is this going anywhere? I mean is there any point to us continuing to post here? If you want a good discussion you have to give and take, not just instantly say "Your wrong..." because we are right some of the time, and part of a discussion is to admit that.

So grow up and stop trolling.

Now that's interesting - I posted yesterday, and that post is missing. Let's try it again.

The sort of places that I hang out in, well there's lots of OSX, Solaris, Linux, and BSD users. There aren't many Windows users, and the ones that they have are quite frankly weird. I wanted to find out what "normal" educated Windows users were thinking, so I came in, and posted something inflammatory.

It's been interesting, and educational. The depth of your belief in Windows as a good operating system has quite frankly surprised me. I've been using and programing computers since the early Seventies, and have experience with a lot of different operating systems, on a wide range of computers including Micros, Minis, and Mainframes. To me, Windows is just another operating system, and not one I have a good opinion of. To you, it's fantastic.

So it's been very interesting. Very interesting indeed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.