I would like to purchase a PDA sometime in the future. It will mostly be used for programming and stuff like that. Ebay has a bunch of these things, but I don't know what to look for, what brands are the best, and if ebay is safe enough to buy something of that quality off of.

I have been looking at the dells, but I just don't know about buying on ebay.

Please give me a good supply of suggestions and comments!

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

don´t keep up with them but I have a few older Palms I was given as demos. My recommendation, don´t get anything but a color model as anything else is very hard to see...I´d think you could get a pretty inexpensive one to check out before spending serious coin...I never could find a good use for the things.

Dell and Compaq (especially Compaq) are the market leaders.

I'd not buy anything off eBay, the risk is just too high.
Not only a lot of scammers and bait&switch operations, but what if you need service?
Will that reseller be around to take in your warranty repair and handle it? You don't know their business at all, is it a real company or someone who bought a box of the things from a stolen shipment and is selling them under an assumed name before disappearing forever.

Go to an electronics or computer store after browsing compaq.com to find out which models you'd consider and check them out then buy it there.
The price difference won't be a lot with the online stores and you're helping local businesses survive for when you need to talk to someone for advise or service.

Thanks guys.

I was a little skepticle(Spelling?) about buying off ebay, because I've heard that most people are there just to pass the problem to someone else. There is one problem though, I really like the Dell's, but I don't have enough money. I've made about $140 that I can use.

Do you think buying used off amazon would be ok? Or is the risk for such technology still great?

I've bought books from Amazon but don't know their support policy on tech.

I've had very few problems buying or selling on ebay, and gotten some pretty good deals. Things to check before buying from anyone on ebay:
Positive Feedback -- don't buy if this is less then 98, and even then, see what the negative feedback was for
Feedback Score -- should be at least 100
Member since -- if they're new to ebay, it's too hard to know if they are reputable or not
Shipping charges -- if it's not stated clearly in the ad, ask first or don't buy! Many sellers sell at low prices, but make up for it with shipping and 'handling.'
Return policy -- make sure there is one and that the terms are acceptable to you

Shipping charges -- if it's not stated clearly in the ad, ask first or don't buy! you

I was thinking about that. I haven't seem shipping charges for less than $20, which is redicilous.

indeed. A colleague was looking at buying a portable DVD player on eBay. Found one that cost 100 pounds plus 150 pounds shipping...

That's redicilous. I thought the shipping cost actually went to the Shipping! So , really it goes to the person that is sending it?

Yes, it goes to the seller, who then uses it to cover his actual shipping costs and other 'handling' costs. Ebay has rules so shipping charges don't get too outrageous, but I don't know how well they're enforced -- or even if they are unless someone reports it.

My recommendation would be the Dell Axim line of PDAs. They're really cheap at the Dell outlet:

http://www.dell.com/outlet

Now, I do have to lay a disclaimer that I do have affilliation with the above company, but my recommendation comes from the fact that I'm posting in this thread from my Axim X30 624mhz with WiFi and Attachable keyboard. :cool:

The x30 was what I was looking at. It's still a little too expensive right now!

Too expensive? I dare you to find one cheaper with the same features and warranty.

I got my Axim X30 Advanced Wireless (624Mhz, 64MB of RAM, Wireless/Bluetooth), for $280, on sale, 1 year Complete Care and 2nd-day shipping. You just have to sit on your hands until you spot a great deal.

I'm really poor. I have about 140 bucks I can spend on it. That's why I was wondering about ebay, but I do want one of the dells.

I've seen some really good ones on ebay, but the price is so low that there must be something wrong with them.

I've seen some really good ones on ebay, but the price is so low that there must be something wrong with them.

Exactly!

Usually, the models you find on eBay, low prices or not, have older batteries, scratches on the screen, etc. You're half way there with your current funding, perhaps even closer than that: I've seen Axim X3 Advanced (400mhz, 64MB RAM, no wireless), for as low as $165+tax, and there's an X30 Basic (312mhz, 32MB RAM, no wireless) right now for $214+tax. Both of those are SUPER capable, and you can update the device with an SDIO wireless card for about $100 later down the road.

I had and LOVED my X3 Advanced, right up until I dropped a brake drum on it. :(

I have an Ipaq 3635...

I bought it new (with original receipt) and have no need for it since I retired.

It does need a new battery, but works fine in the cradle/charger

Check out the specs and if it will work for you maybe we can work something out.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.