Let me introduce myself;
I am in my 70's, retired a long time, a widower, long retired, & got my first computer three years ago, five years after my wife passed away.
I live on the Isle of Wight, in England, my main interests are; Computers, of course! console games [Playstation 2], & watching SKY tv.
I'm glad I joined, I think I'm going to like it here!

Maurice[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/fsc/bye.gif[/img]

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hi Maurice,

I just joined, too - looking forward to seeing you around... ~kAtH

:mrgreen:

Hi Maurice,

I just joined, too - looking forward to seeing you around... ~kAtH

:mrgreen:

hello, may I say, you have an unusual psuedonym, not a criticism!
Perhaps it's Kath?.....sorry, being nosey. :-|
I became a member of a similar site, & stayed for over two years, but I thought I'd have a change, they were a little dictatorial, for instance I wrote one post all in bold type, & was told not asked, not to do that again!!, they were very stuffy, "Too many chiefs, not enough indians" is the phrase that comes to mind.
Now, of course I realise that there has to be rules, but I thought that this was carrying things a little too far!, so I got out.
This site looks a lot better,.....what's your opinion of it?

Nice to "meet" you, Maurice.

Hi Maurice, from another member with some years on...

We´re pretty laid back here and I hope you will like it. Sounds like your previous group did not explain that all caps are considered shouting on the internet. Sometimes you have to read between the lines in messages on this medium as the meaning can become hidden with only text. Since joining Daniweb I have only met good folks, though, so welcome to the group...

Hi Maurice, from another member with some years on...

We´re pretty laid back here and I hope you will like it. Sounds like your previous group did not explain that all caps are considered shouting on the internet. Sometimes you have to read between the lines in messages on this medium as the meaning can become hidden with only text. Since joining Daniweb I have only met good folks, though, so welcome to the group...

Yes, Zeroth, I know about shouting & using bold, but it wasn't in caps, as you say, just bold, mostly lower case. I was on the other site for over two years as I said, I wasn't that prolific a poster, 600 in just over two years, I didn't fabricate posts to "get up the ladder" so to speak, the levels were;
Newcomer
Member 50+
Enthusiast 350+
Booster 600+ [the level I reached]
Addict 900+

The rest were awarded by merit, I.E., if your face didn't fit, you didn't get there, this isn't sour grapes, I sometimes stuck to my guns, where, if I saw that another member was completely in the wrong, & only if I had done extensive research, I wouldn't back down.
I used to run a very large Company, with a great number of employees, & if I hadn't stood my ground on matters that were obviously against the Company's interests, first, of course I would try to reason with the person I was dealing with, but in order to maintain control, I would have to close the interview, & tell him/her that they either obeyed the rules, or action would be taken, let me say that in many years in that position, not once did I have to take action, in fact, most came back & said that I was right, & some I promoted later, as their attitude had improved.
Going back to that site, they were just a lot of stuffed shirts, that I wouldn't have paid in washers, as they say!
Oops, I'll get off my rostrum now! got a bit carried away, long retired, but still can't throw the harness off, I guess.
I've only been on DaniWeb five minutes, & I can feel already that the atmosphere is completely different, it's positively refreshing!!, I'm sure I will like it.
Finally, can you tell me how I can add more details to my profile, & I understand that I can't have a signature until later,.....odd that.

Nice meeting you as well, Maurice[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/fsc/sunglasses2.gif[/img]

Hello maurice.

Well, I tried to do the quote-thing and messed up somehow... wait - I think I got it!

"Perhaps it's Kath?.....sorry, being nosey. :-|"

Hi Maurice... Kath is fine!

"This site looks a lot better,.....what's your opinion of it?"

So far, I'm really liking it - people seem pretty friendly and not condescending like I've seen on some sites. Later Maurice...

~ Kath

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.