More bullshit, what does it really matter?

A new Missing Link has been found. If what they say
is true then all that I have been taught by be anthropology
teacher and alike has been bUllShit. Its all crap. What does it really
matter if we "come" from moneys or sasquatch , turtles or whatever?

I swear all this crap is making me sick. Instead of spending millions
of dollars on trying to find dried up bones that have no use, we
could be helping people like this :

:

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

I agree with you! It is of no use funding multi million dollar projects researching on such topics while hunger is real in some parts of the world especially Kenya where I come from.

More bullshit, what does it really matter?

A new Missing Link has been found. If what they say
is true then all that I have been taught by be anthropology
teacher and alike has been bUllShit. Its all crap. What does it really
matter if we "come" from moneys or sasquatch , turtles or whatever?

I swear all this crap is making me sick. Instead of spending millions
of dollars on trying to find dried up bones that have no use, we
could be helping people like this :

:[ATTACH]12424[/ATTACH]

Er, what a load of crap.
Just because you are unable to understand the scientific process and the joy of knowledge for knowledge's sake does not make it 'bullshit'. I am sorry that you do not have the creativity or imagination to understand that not everyone thinks the way you do or are driven by goals different from yours. The scientific process contains within itself the processes necessary to change and adapt to new realities. When new data comes in and it disagrees with current theories, then then the theories are modified to include the new data (this is not done easily nor lightly and there are hard fought 'intellectual' battles over the meaning and consequences of new data).

'Ardie' is not a 'missing link' and may not even be on the same branch of evolution as Homo Sap. Sap.; what she does is move the bipedalism trait back about a hundred million years.

How is it that you think the money spent on science would be spent on feeding the hungry? It is not possible to make the either/or argument for how to allocate money between science and 'helping people' - there is no correlation between the 2. On a personal note, if helping people is such an absolute, why are you wasting any money on anything other that charity work? You should not pay for anything that does not directly help others or help you earn money to help others. No internet, no books, no cable, no nothing but eat, sleep, work, charity.

Fact: YOU have been dumbed down by school , media, and everyone else.
Fact: YOU are clueless.
Fact: WE are killing ourselves.

I disagree - it sounds more like you have been dumbed down; you are clueless; We are all going to die - that is the consequence of getting to have sex.

commented: ++ this +0

I agree with you! It is of no use funding multi million dollar projects researching on such topics while hunger is real in some parts of the world especially Kenya where I come from.

I disagree with you! There is no way to transfer the money you are complaining about to the projects you want.

There are a number of causes for starvation, death, disease, and all the ills of the world. Just getting food to a starving person will not solve the underlying problems which include war, corruption, political malfeasance, greed, climate change, overpopulation, just to name a few.

If you have suggestions on how to overcome the many obstacles to change, please enter the fray. Get a job that will put you in position to help others but do not expect others to do what you will not.

Railing against science in the name of railing against the problems of the poor does nothing but waste everyone's energy.

Just because you are unable to understand the scientific process and the joy of knowledge for knowledge's sake does not make it 'bullshit'.

Have you ever seen a starving kid in places like Africa? It changes your
whole outlook in life. I bet you take even tap water for granted. You
have no idea how it feels like to be "poor". And when I say poor I mean
living way below the standard living condition for human. Sure
knowledge betters one, but it has been proven that by human nature
that in order to be a moral person, we need to help others, below us,
out. That is unless you are an immoral person, you should help them.

I am sorry that you do not have the creativity or imagination to understand that not everyone thinks the way you do or are driven by goals different from yours.

Thats too bad. This world is a piece of sh*t. You have no idea. You are just another person that feels like you know what your talking about, just because you think you are smart.

T

he scientific process contains within itself the processes necessary to change and adapt to new realities. When new data comes in and it disagrees with current theories, then then the theories are modified to include the new data (this is not done easily nor lightly and there are hard fought 'intellectual' battles over the meaning and consequences of new data).

No need to explain this bull scientific method to me. Although it has
gotten us places, it is no use in the anthropology section.

'Ardie' is not a 'missing link' and may not even be on the same branch of evolution as Homo Sap. Sap.; what she does is move the bipedalism trait back about a hundred million years.

Yea sure, but who care, expect people like you. It is this government that corrupts people like you into thinking what they are doing is feasible.

How is it that you think the money spent on science would be spent on feeding the hungry? It is not possible to make the either/or argument for how to allocate money between science and 'helping people' - there is no correlation between the 2.

Finding bones and putting them together is not a science as a whole. Science has a broad meaning and you cannot use it as one meaning. So therefore I am not saying money spent on science should be spent on feeding the hungry. I am saying that stupid shit like this and other experiments are a waste of time/money.
Why are we trying disproves something that has no REAL value to the majority of people ( in this case) ? Don't say something like , "oh
it helps us gain more knowledge about the world", when in fact it will just be another fact you memorize.

On a personal note, if helping people is such an absolute, why are you wasting any money on anything other that charity work? You should not pay for anything that does not directly help others or help you earn money to help others. No internet, no books, no cable, no nothing but eat, sleep, work, charity.

Because I am only human. I can't help people out all the time. I
have a life of my own. All I am merely suggesting is that people
should help out once a while whenever they could, and that the
government should stop funding our money into experiments like
this and start helping the poor. .

I disagree - it sounds more like you have been dumbed down; you are clueless; We are all going to die - that is the consequence of getting to have sex

Looks like you have already fallen into the categories below.
Think hard of what the sentence below means. Then respond if you
wish. I am not trying to argue but merely make you realize that ...

Fact: YOU have been dumbed down by schools , media, and everyone else.

Ah - I get it, you do not have to live by the rules you want others to live by. You are special; by the power of your posting crap you are saving more starving people than mere money could ever help.

Of course I will respond - there is nothing in your post that puts forward any support for your position. You posit 3 statement and assume by the mere statement of them as fact, it will be accepted as truth.

Fact: YOU have been dumbed down by schools , media, and everyone else.

Just using the word 'fact' does not make it a fact and using your unproven statement as proof of your statement is not even good circular logic. These 2 points seem to support my hypothesis that you have been dumbed down.

You have missed all the points I have tried to make leaving this one pretty self-referential.

This one does not even make any sense - you offer no reference point.

You posit 3 opinions as facts but offer no support or even any relevance of them to the original intent of your post.

Now, let's get to the topic at hand:
Yes, I have seen starving kids - whether or not I have seen starving kids has no correlation to whether or not I 'take water for granted'. stating I take tap water for granted is an 'ad hominem' attack and does not address any point you are trying to make.
Then you make an assumption that in order to be moral person, we must help others below us (this assumes you are morally superior to the starving peoples of the world and stand above them).
Next you assume that because I disagree with you, I am an immoral person - another odd logical fallacy (could be any of many but probably Appeal to Consequences of a Belief).

Thats too bad. This world is a piece of sh*t. You have no idea. You are just another person that feels like you know what your talking about, just because you think you are smart.

Here again you appear to be completely self-referential.

No need to explain this bull scientific method to me. Although it has gotten us places, it is no use in the anthropology section.

You seem to assume that anthropology is not a science and that the scientific method is bull pucky - this is a completely different discussion - feel free to start a completely new thread on this topic sometime.

Because I am only human. I can't help people out all the time. I
have a life of my own. All I am merely suggesting is that people
should help out once a while whenever they could, and that the
government should stop funding our money into experiments like
this and start helping the poor. .

This is a logical fallacy known as Special Pleading, in which you hold yourself to a different standard than you wish to hold the scientific community and/or 'other people'.

If, at some point, you wish to bring some thought and research into this discussion, please feel free to. On another point, I do not memorize 'facts' I learn about the world and use what I learn in my everyday life. I consider myself to be thoughtful, somewhat articulate, extremely liberal and willing to keep this up as long as you want. Memorizing facts is a waste of time; learning 'stuff' is what life is all about; thinking is how you apply what you learn to how you live.

Hey Grim. Forgive for the late reply. Was taking on finals and forgot about this.

>>If, at some point, you wish to bring some thought and research into this discussion, please feel free to

>>Fact: YOU have been dumbed down by schools , media, and everyone else.

John Taylo Gatto is one of the leading researcher (or was, not sure now). He is describes it pretty well, although it might take multiple read, to get how each sentence he wrote has some meaning.

>>Fact: YOU are clueless.

I admit this is more of a opinion, but I would guess more than 75% of people do not know about how schools are "fixed" into making us "Automatons".

>>Fact: WE are killing ourselves.

This one is just obvious. Some things that people do is harmful to
us and the environment, those things could be unavoidable and
sometimes mandatory as well. For example take Global Warming, for
now it is unavoidable and our humans activities are the main reason
for this cause.

>>This is a logical fallacy known as Special Pleading, in which you hold yourself to a different standard than you wish to hold the scientific community and/or 'other people'.

No that is not what I am saying. I am not making my case special in
any way. What I am saying is that I cannot give everything that I
have, until I equate at their level. I can give some to them, and I do.
This is what I was suggesting as well in previous post.

Hope you didn't think you drove me away with your rebuttals:)

No - I didn't think I had run you off; I forgot the thread shortly after I posted - in fact, I surprise myself with my logic, lucidity, and command of the English language. But then I have ADD so if it is not in my face, it does not much exist.

I (re)read JTGs article; he makes some good points but leaves out quite a bit. I do not have the time or inclination to dispute his article other than say "so what?"; he offers nothing but 'bomb-throwing' - no ideas of what to put in place of the rubble he wants to create.

In case anyone is after the missing link to human creatures then I'm the missing link.

Considering all the other stuff we are made to believe since childhood, this isn't so bad. Doesn't even smell.

Like the first post quoted, the missing link is money.

Instead of spending millions
of dollars on (fill in blank) we could be helping people like this.

Of all the stupid, inane things we waste time and money on that you could fill in the blank above which offer little positive value to humanity (unnecessary war, Jerry Springer, mindless, shallow celebrities, building bridges to nowhere, subsidizing tobacco...) and detract from important stuff we COULD be spending money on, I can't think of a less fitting example than trying to figure out what the missing link is. It's an intellectual exercise that is the polar opposite of mindless, rote memorization of useless facts. Generally, people who are interested in doing this type of research or following this research are curious people who want to improve their minds. They are also people who are far more inclined to care about, think about and find ways to improve problems like world hunger, bad drinking water, and global warming. Most people who don't care about starving people in Africa don't GO to third world areas like Africa to try to dig up fossils. They stay home. The people who dig up fossils are the people who actually travel the world and see starving people close up and hence are much more likely to have compassion and do something about it.

They're also the exact opposites of the types of teachers the guy who wrote the article you site hates, which are incurious, lazy teachers who just regurgitate the lesson plan. If you're lazy and incurious, you don't care about solving the missing link or any other problem.

>>Of all the stupid, inane things we waste time and money on that you could fill in the blank above which offer little positive value to humanity (unnecessary war, Jerry Springer, mindless, shallow celebrities, building bridges to nowhere, subsidizing tobacco...) and detract from important stuff we COULD be spending money on, I can't think of a less fitting example than trying to figure out what the missing link is.
It's an intellectual exercise that is the polar opposite of mindless, rote memorization of useless facts.

The reason is obvious. I picked this topic because of the billions of
dollars spent on this project. It is estimated by the United Nations' Food
and Agriculture Organization (FAO) that it takes about 30 billion dollars a
year to end world hunger. Some time ago we bailed out the Wall Street
with 23 times the amount needed to end world hunger. Its stuff like that
we need to avoid.

>>They're also the exact opposites of the types of teachers the guy who wrote the article you site hates, which are incurious, lazy teachers who just regurgitate the lesson plan.

Yes thats true. Generally those teachers have no idea of whats really
going on.

>>If you're lazy and incurious, you don't care about solving the missing link or any other problem.

Realize that I am not saying that we should stop this "curiosity" of ours
to obtain knowledge of our ancestors. I am merely saying that, we
should as for right now, stop it or slow it down, and give things like
world hunger a chance. We humans are driven by our rational-self
interest. Some try to help others, but the majority are either not-aware
as a result of the media, or they simply don't care.

>>The reason is obvious. I picked this topic because of the billions of
dollars spent on this project.

Citation please. Where are you getting the "billions" figure? I see nothing in the article you link that discusses the cost of this research or just as importantly, WHO is funding it? I seriously doubt that it's in the billions. Moreover, most of these trips are self-funded by University grants and stuff. I doubt the government is shelling much out for this research.

>> It is estimated by the United Nations' Food
and Agriculture Organization (FAO) that it takes about 30 billion dollars a
year to end world hunger.

Again, citation please. Where do you get the $30 billion figure from? How exactly do they propose to spend this $30 billion? What's their plan?

>>Realize that I am not saying that we should stop this "curiosity" of ours
to obtain knowledge of our ancestors. I am merely saying that, we
should as for right now, stop it or slow it down, and give things like
world hunger a chance.

Again, as Grim Jack pointed out, you are creating a false dichotomy between research into the missing link and ending world hunger. This isn't a zero sum game, particularly since, as I mentioned, research like this is generally not coming out of either the government or UN till. You're on sturdier ground with the Bank Bailout argument. That money has to come from somewhere, so in the budget, money spent on the bailout can't pay for the Peace Corps to teach people how to irrigate crops.

>>Some try to help others, but the majority are either not-aware
as a result of the media, or they simply don't care.

Ah, it's "the media's" fault again. How many times have I heard that from BOTH ends of the political spectrum? The media's either run by liberals who are trying to brainwash our children into blindly following the UN as a one-world government or it's run by greedy corporations who refuse to cover the UN's solution to the world hunger problem. How about some of that personal responsibility that the author of the article you link's grandfather espouses? He says that if you're bored, it's your own fault. Same here. Anyone who takes the time nowadays can become informed and aware, corrupt media or no corrupt media.

>>Citation please. Where are you getting the "billions" figure? I see nothing in the article you link that discusses the cost of this research or just as importantly, WHO is funding it? I seriously doubt that it's in the billions. Moreover, most of these trips are self-funded by University grants and stuff. I doubt the government is shelling much out for this research.

This project was started around 1994(google it). The billion dollers
was probably an rough over estimate. However, I assume that
there has been at least some million dollar invested in this project.
I tried to dig up some numbers but it turned out its a little bit harder
than I thought. Although I might search for it in future.

>>Again, citation please. Where do you get the $30 billion figure from? How exactly do they propose to spend this $30 billion? What's their plan? This is a reliable resource.

>> He says that if you're bored, it's your own fault.
No he actually tries to say that its the government and the schooling
system fault.

>> Same here. Anyone who takes the time nowadays can become informed and aware, corrupt media or no corrupt media

That true, but in reality how many people do you think will take the time
to learn about their "true" country? Maybe less than 25% of the people
in U.S.

Anyways, I'am done arguing. If you do not agree that we should
concentrate on more substantial situation like ending world hunger,
then be it. I am just trying to inform people that one's rational-self
interest should not be one's governing factor; done let greed and fame
dictate one. Thats it.

>> He says that if you're bored, it's your own fault.
No he actually tries to say that its the government and the schooling
system fault.

Nope, read your own link. Here's what the author says his grandfather said:

My grandfather taught me that. One afternoon when I was seven I complained to him of boredom, and he batted me hard on the head. He told me that I was never to use that term in his presence again, that if I was bored it was my fault and no one else's. The obligation to amuse and instruct myself was entirely my own, and people who didn't know that were childish people, to be avoided if possible.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.