Well i have been following the google OS (where in work is still going on ) for a pretty long time and when i have been through their whitepapers where they mentioned about SPDY protocol (which is an extension of TCP/IP and not to mention pretty faster than the conventional standards ) and they happen to claim to boot the whole OS in 7 seconds... (which is really very fast...! )
Will such uncanny features of google OS give a severe blow to Micro$oft windows 7 and their future os....?

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

No

Ive tried it. Its pretty crap.

The os is not even meant for primary computers, it is made for secondary computers and boots from flash memory. All programs and files are saved on the internet, it will be great for tablets and day to day uses, but don't plan on playing games on chrome.

No, it doesnt even work for that. It wont accept my google account for the apps.

It could be a failure , sell of your google shares fast :D .

No.
The Google OS hasn't even got the drivers for a harddrive. So basically Googles OS has 1992 technology (No hard drive and no cd rom just a flash drive) and should be put in a museum. And what is this about Googles OS can only run Crome. You cannot install Firefox or any other browser on googles Operating System. Didn't Microsoft get into huge trouble about that with the Europeans with Internet Explorer. So theoretically Googles OS cannot be sold in Europe!

Maybe ten years from now.

Which is confusing me, why is Google determined to release the OS with such archaic ideas and methodologies? No hard drive? Total dependence on the cloud? Who are we kidding? (Though Google can make a boat load out of apps everywhere in the OS).

I guess google has the potential, if google OS can't be a microsoft killer, it can be of close competition to it.

It may be better than Windows starter editions, but beyond that, it's going to be useless to most anyone who doesn't use a netbook. And even then, it will be useless to people using netbooks out of WiFi range. Its main advantage, in my opinion, is going to be the fact that it will reduce the cost of particular netbooks even further due to the reduction in necessary hardware.

No, maybe it would have a chance once all places in the world are connected to the internet. But I doubt if people would like to place all their data over the internet. Besides, Google already said it is used as a companion device and not something to replace PCs.

No, maybe it would have a chance once all places in the world are connected to the internet. But I doubt if people would like to place all their data over the internet. Besides, Google already said it is used as a companion device and not something to replace PCs.

It will take 40 years before everybody knows how to use a PC as the average 45 year old does not know how to use a computer. And when people do get their first pc they want something simple. However with googles system you need to have a great understanding of networking devices to troubleshoot networking problems otherwise your google netbook will be useless or in some cases will result in a higher repair bill as network connectivity problems are very urgent with the google netbook. However if you choose windows or the Free Linux then you can wait a month or two before you fix your internet. In addition you don't have to pay for all of that extra bandwidth which the google netbook will use to continually download and upload all of your files and you can't use large files. What if a person only has access to dialup speed internet (common in Australia) and your working on a CAD project which is 500MB. Just won't happen. That is why Windows and Linux is by far better. Linux is my favorite by the way.

It will take 40 years before everybody knows how to use a PC as the average 45 year old does not know how to use a computer. And when people do get their first pc they want something simple. However with googles system you need to have a great understanding of networking devices to troubleshoot networking problems otherwise your google netbook will be useless or in some cases will result in a higher repair bill as network connectivity problems are very urgent with the google netbook. However if you choose windows or the Free Linux then you can wait a month or two before you fix your internet. In addition you don't have to pay for all of that extra bandwidth which the google netbook will use to continually download and upload all of your files and you can't use large files. What if a person only has access to dialup speed internet (common in Australia) and your working on a CAD project which is 500MB. Just won't happen. That is why Windows and Linux is by far better. Linux is my favorite by the way.

Agreed almost entirely. I think the point behind netbooks is more for those who are always on the go and need to hit wifi spots all over the place, rather than their own home, where a primary desktop/laptop would be that isn't using Chrome OS. At least, I'd hope that people are smart enough not to use Chrome OS as their primary/only system because of the lack of offline capabilities. Google needs to develop Chrome OS in such a way that getting onto wifi networks is so easy that very little to no troubleshooting is needed, or else it won't cater properly to its target audience, and hence fail.

Well in short chrome OS cannot be a big threat to windows now but can be in future when cloud computing becomes the wave of future and speed and security will be given more importance then Microsoft could be very wary of this new chrome os. In a nutshell this is great news by Google and the competition between Google and Microsoft just got even more interesting.

SNIP

i love google... my tshirt is google, underwear is google, my shorts are google, my browser is google, my search engine is google.... google OS is built for users who spends their time on the internet thats why it's different from windows OS. may the google be with you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.