Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by vinnitro
Featured Replies

... when the birds you watch are in a tree. Read More

• I still have 3 paper tapes ascii art (if you squint a bit) ladies scantily attired just need somebody with an ibm 360 or 370 to load them on hours Queing at Uni for punch card reader incidentally the world's third (or fourth I dont remember) computer CSIRAC is (tourism … Read More

... when you remember the days when a tennis match was just that, and not a match of screams, squeals and groans. I cant' believe that every time they hit the ball, they have to let go of an annoying loud sound. Sounds so stupid! Imagine programmers doing that with … Read More

1. You have computer parts in your house older than 19.......that you bought new. 2. You have actually used an 8" floppy disk. 3. Your first modem was 300 BAUD. 4. You were a beta tester for Windows 3.1 And I qualify on all counts. Ouch. LOL Read More

• royng, You're missing the whole point of this thread. It's supposed to be one of those light-hearted fun threads where you talk about Bananarama, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Space Invaders, Dial-up modems, Magic Eight Ball, Walkmans, etc., and then the kids say "Whooo??? What???" and you feel the same way … Read More

• "Getting a little action" means you don't need to take a laxative. The little gray-haired lady you help across the street is your wife. There's nothing left to learn the hard way. When you don't care where your wife goes, just so you don't have to go along. Your supply … Read More

... you forget how old you are. Read More

... you actually understand a news story without seeing a video about it. Read More

Your eldest daughter goes into labour with your FOURTH grandchild (and you are not even 50 yet but feel about 75) - woke me up by text message at 5.20am to let me know the contractions had started... <yawn> Read More

• When pulling an "all-nighter" means not having to get up to pee. Read More

when you say, "back in my day...".
--------------------------------------------------------
Just for curiosity, whats the age group here in Daniweb? Anyone want
to tell their age? I'm 19.

Edited by firstPerson: n/a

You know what it means to 'shoot your cuffs'

You know what it means to "wind a watch".

when you say, "back in my day...".
--------------------------------------------------------
Just for curiosity, whats the age group here in Daniweb? Anyone want
to tell their age? I'm 19.

I'm 39. I'm just starting to say "Back in my day..." and making up BS stories about how rough it was and how coddled today's youngsters are compared to "my day" and how much more we respected our "elders". At 19, you're WWWWAAAAYYYYY too young to say "Back in my day...".

I'm 39. I'm just starting to say "Back in my day..." and making up BS stories about how rough it was and how coddled today's youngsters are compared to "my day" and how much more we respected our "elders". At 19, you're WWWWAAAAYYYYY too young to say "Back in my day...".

I think even in your twenties, you are still too young to say "Back in my day" until you reach mid-thirties or forties.

If during summer, you start walking around in khaki shorts, white socks and brown sandals!

I'm 57.

>>At 19, you're WWWWAAAAYYYYY too young to say "Back in my day...".

It was just a saying. I don't literally say it. Although I do reminiscent about
my childhood where I had no responsibility.

So AD, I finally found your secret identity... in the attached screenshot ;)

Attachments ike.JPG 49.87 KB

When you remember when "program" was just a wierd American spelling of "programme", and a "programme" was just something you watched on telly.

It was just a saying. I don't literally say it. Although I do reminiscent about my childhood where I had no responsibility.

I am not sure if you noticed, but the verb form you want is reminisce. Just to let you know, I'm not really anal just thought I could help you out if grammar is not your strong point.

Edited by zortec: n/a

Comments
Grammar > everything :P

...when almost every ongoing discussion on 'teh' internet makes you *sigh*. :-)

Edited by ~s.o.s~: n/a

When your first computer had no harddrive and only two big floppy disk drives.

My first one had a tape-deck :)

My first one had a tape-deck :)

My first computer was an RCA Elf, with a cmos based computer chip used in the NASA moon missions. My main storage was a tape deck too.

I am not sure if you noticed, but the verb form you want is reminisce. Just to let you know, I'm not really anal just thought I could help you out if grammar is not your strong point.

Thanks. I'm more of a math guy then a English one. Plus English is my
secondary language.

cwarn23 must indeed be very young. I had a TI99/4A with a cassette deck as I/O and an old TV as monitor.:)
But that does not mean I consider myself an old sack.

Edited by ddanbe: n/a

... when you begin discussing your medical conditions in the most honest of terms with most anyone who will hear... then again that may be a personality issue... still sorting it out...

43 btw... not fully disclosing medical issues... but becoming tempted...

...when you remember bootstrapping the computer by its front panel switches, installing operating system patches with an octal editor, and writing programs on a teletype (thats like a big typewriter with fanfold paper instead of a screen, for you youngsters). Oh, and using telex to supply patches (sometimes even small programs) to clients (beats dictating over the telephone, although the character set was limited, you had to spell out some of the punctuation marks).

Sigh! Those were the days my friends!

...when you can remember having to use an ACTUAL dial to dial a telephone number.

You had a Dial Phone? Trying to put operators out of work?

How about having to use punch cards to do programming? Our CS teacher reminded us that when he was working on the ARPANET, they did not have compilers with syntax check and auto completion which I think creates a lazy programmer.

... when a computer with 64K memory was stored on three floors of a concrete building with millions of huge vacuum tubes.

Attachments tubes.jpg 76.08 KB

How about having to use punch cards to do programming? Our CS teacher reminded us that when he was working on the ARPANET, they did not have compilers with syntax check and auto completion which I think creates a lazy programmer.

Yeah, in CS we had to write the programs out by hand, on paper with a little box for each character, then post this into a pigeon hole. Next working day (D+1) (if you were lucky) you'd get back a stack of punched cards, and a printout of their contents, for checking. After correcting the errors (with a red biro) , you'd get the corrected cards back the next day (D+2), hopefully without errors, and hand them back for processing. The next day (D+3/4), you'd get the results, which would normally be syntax errors or typos you'd missed. Red biro, da de dah, D+4 the results of the compiled program. Basically, one working week to enter, compile and run a 200 line program. And another week to fix the logical errors.

But we wuz grateful for it, guv!

Comments
You made me glad to not have been programming then :)
This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.