When you are looking PC (AT) manufactured by IBM or Compaq clone in shop, not Thinkpad manufactured by Lexmark.

...you remember how revolutionary the "mini-tower" case was.

Or
... you remember how big were the 300 MB hard disks.

Or even...
... remember installing your brand new 40 MB $400 HD.

And still deeper...
... remember using computer with 360 KB floppy drive as mass storage.

And...
... remember struggling the huge 10MB hard disk space without hierarchical file system in your Osborne or KayPro.

Ha ha! Or when you remember how thrilled you were when half-height hard drives came out! Or when you saw your first 3 1/2" floppy disk and joked "It's not floppy!"

Or remember the beta version of .net the 8 CD pack with a bunny face on CD 5 and we had to run the 5th CD first and each time we used to think y 5th .......... And then it was the real test of one's patience

Remember using MS-DOS Version 1.0

Remember using MS-Windows version 1.0 (it was text based)

And remember that full height hard disk means 3 1/4" height and 8" deep and over 2 kg ST-412/506. And trying to get the advanced half height RLL drive instead of MFM after it.

... you actually understand a news story without seeing a video about it.

commented: heh, heh! +0

... remember the Apple Lisa computer.

Could fit a working program on 20k of memory

you remember being thrilled at the idea that the IBM motherboard was going to allow hard drives as HUGE as 16 Megabytes.

you remember Visicalc - and know that, by itself, was why the pc was such a success. Before visicalc, it would take a hundred accountants 3 months to change just one assumption in a forecast.

You know your old if you remember the game console "Playstation 2"

<cough> You know you are old if you remember the games console Magnavox Odyssey! I have three fully working, complete and boxed, original Odyssey consoles from 1972 in my loft...

commented: OMG! What else to you have tucked away - are you a 'hoarder'? +0

<cough> You know you are old if you remember the games console Magnavox Odyssey! I have three fully working, complete and boxed, original Odyssey consoles from 1972 in my loft...

......No comment.

You also know you are old when someone says have you got a tablet and instead of talking about the iPad or Xoom you head for the medicine cabinet...

Or when somebody asks for the internet, and you come back with an Intern in a net.

You mean LISTSERV? No that was BITNET wan't it on VAX. No I do not want to vax my shoes :)

in you college days, the only way to backup large files was the 400 MB tape drive.

you wrote your programs using punch cards.

OMG ^^^! The IBM 1301 disk storage unit released in 1961 held 28 Meg data and sold for $115,500. How times have changed. Today we can put 2 Gig data on a stick that costs only about $40.00.

...when you sent your print output to the print queue and waited until the Operator put it in your Output slot (sometimes the next day). And the printer sounded like a good-sized sawmill. And the printer was the size of a console TV. And you remember what a Console TV is.

OMG ^^^! The IBM 1301 disk storage unit released in 1961 held 28 Meg data and sold for $115,500. How times have changed. Today we can put 2 Gig data on a stick that costs only about $40.00.

I was checking things about VAX and this post of microVAX designer hit me little:

The CPU team was assembled from consultants (like Dan Dobberpuhl and layout lead Tim Thrush), newcomers (MicroVAX was Rich Witek's first architectural assignment, and John Beck's first NMOS design), and new hires; the FPU team was equally eclectic in its origins. MicroVAX was [B]allocated 2.5 VAX-11/780's[/B] for design use; [B]that's about half the computing power in a modern optical USB mouse.[/B]

And now you get with 10€ you get miniUSB stick with 4 MB, weight 10g.

Don't read this, if you want to avoid nostalgy: http://simh.trailing-edge.com/software.html

That memorystick of course is 4 GB, must be the same virus Ancient One has got.

I started on a VAX 11/750 then we added a 780 that was soon upgraded to a 782 that we 'clustered' adding a micro-vax then we added the 8nnn series. I worked at NOAA here in Seattle in the early 80s. We had PDP-11s in a back room to play with. I worked VAXen from Seattle to Raleigh then DEC was bought out by COMPAQ and discontinued - by the time I made it back to Seattle in 1999, there were no more VAXs to work on and I became a perma-temp.

--you do something you've been doing for years and all of a sudden it leaves you with pains that last for days.

you remember owning a Kaypro "laptop" that was the size of a carry-on suitcase.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.