as i look inside me eeepc i notice something different. this is the first one i have opened and the hard drive is in between the motherboard and another circuit board that the HDD is attached to and connected by a zif ribbob (or cable. whatever). what i cant figure out is why itwouldnt be one single component or what to call the other circuit board since its not technically part of the mainboard. anyone have any thoughts?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Ribbon*

Maybe a "Disk Controller"? Or maybe "A Board that breaks my computer when it's removed"...

or what to call the other circuit board since its not technically part of the mainboard. anyone have any thoughts?

I know that you can add cards to desktops via the PCI slot, to get e.g eSATA. Thats called a disk controller in that case.

Note: My lenovo laptop has a similar thing to yours i think? windows only seems to see the drive as IDE, but the drive itself is SATA. It oddly connects to a docky-thing inside with a ribbon cable coming out of that to the motherboatd. Wierd.

Anyway, it would make sense for the eeee to have a seperate controller as it would need to handle wear-levelling and stuff that you dont have to worry about so much with normal HDDs as opposed to the SSD the eee has.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.