Don't you just love the French!? If you are clumsy and socially awkward, you are left but if you speak well and move gracefully, you are right. I don't think anyone who speak English/American pronounces 'adroit' properly (er, Frenchly); nor would anyone even understand what they meant if they did.

Then there is Detroit.

Then there is Detroit.

Does there have to be? I grew up there, so I'm trying to forget... :scared:

More like Dee-troy-t

Yeah right.
My pronunciatiion of English(I normally speak Dutch)is not that good I know. Just was pointing out the great difference in pronunciation between Detroit and adroit.
Although I think I do some reasonably descent English writing, I will probably bite my tongue trying to pronounce "Three thousand and three thirsty men.";)

Yeah right.
My pronunciatiion of English(I normally speak Dutch)is not that good I know. Just was pointing out the great difference in pronunciation between Detroit and adroit.
Although I think I do some reasonably descent English writing, I will probably bite my tongue trying to pronounce "Three thousand and three thirsty men.";)

A little irony in there?

Sinking down to the level of most native English speakers, who often don't have a good command of the language? ;)

Yeah right.
Just was pointing out the great difference in pronunciation between Detroit and adroit.

Actually, they are pronounced the same given the difference in the beginning letters:
adroit: \ə-ˈdrȯit\
Detroit: di-ˈtrȯit, locally also ˈdē-ˈtrȯit

Unless you mean something else...

Oops:$ descent
I meant decent of course, thank you vmanes for correcting me. I always like that. It can only improve my writing. The irony was purely accidental.
Perhaps we can also stop writing how words are pronounced.
I find it a little hard to do that without hearing the differences.:)

Oops:$ descent
I meant decent of course, thank you vmanes for correcting me. I always like that. It can only improve my writing. The irony was purely accidental.
Perhaps we can also stop writing how words are pronounced.
I find it a little hard to do that without hearing the differences.:)

English is hard enough to pronounce without involving foreign derived words as well.

One of my favorite questions on the topic - how many different ways can the syllable "ough" be pronounced?

English is hard enough to pronounce without involving foreign derived words as well.

One of my favorite questions on the topic - how many different ways can the syllable "ough" be pronounced?

Or my 2 favorite words -- from George Bernard Shaw:

GHOTI
GHOUGHPTEIGHBTEAU

Both very common English words simply written 'phonetically'

@WaltP
he GHOTI ! That is what I learned from my English teacher, it has to do with water and some animal you can find there:)
The other is really for guys who studied English like a pro!

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.