How to fix you broken computers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFcL6hiyyuc&NR=1

Recommended Answers

All 25 Replies

That reminds me of a video from a few years ago that has unfortunately been taken down from youtube and I can't find it elsewhere.

The short version is that a guy tied a rope to his truck and dragged a GameCube along the road for several miles, with it bouncing and crashing and skidding around corners. Afterwards, he plugged it in and it actually still worked! Long enough to boot a game, anyway.

Of course, he subsequently took a sledgehammer to it and finally set it on fire. Very tragic.

He is really kind of bad at doing this!
Sort of unsmart, I was hoping he would hit his toe!

It was much better when Gallagher used a watermelon on stage!

I saw Gallagher on TV once, what a riot! People in the front rows had to cover with plastic, as he was hitting those water melons on stage with a big hammer.

I saw him a couple times live. I hear when his brother took over the show it wasn't quite as good although I never saw him.

Trivia question: What is Gallagher's first name?

Trivia question: What is Gallagher's first name?

Peter

Peter is an actor, I believe.

The answer's on Wikipedia (WaltP, you shouldn't trust that this generation of trivia buffs won't look lol) I won't spoil it.

Peter is an actor, I believe.

Yes, I thought we were talking about the actor. Since the question asks "What is Gallagher's first name?" it could refer to any Gallagher.

Ah, gotcha. Depending on certain (generational) constants and other run-time data, Gallagher without a designator usually refers to the standup comedian. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallagher_%28comedian%29 (careful there's spoilers to WaltP's question there). :D

Yes, I thought we were talking about the actor. Since the question asks "What is Gallagher's first name?" it could refer to any Gallagher.

Why? What did Peter Gallagher have to do with watermelons?

I saw Gallagher on TV once, what a riot! People in the front rows had to cover with plastic, as he was hitting those water melons on stage with a big hammer.

Keep with the program! :)

why don't you add some C4 along with TNT

That's not in the spirit of your moniker. Don't you mean some drain cleaner, 2 nickels, a rubber band, and a highlighter?

You could donate your broken computer to the American Rifle Association for target practice.

... or the NRA. Hehe. Whatever they're calling it these days.

My Sony Multimedia computer is slowly giving up after 7 years of heavy use, so I am replacing it with an economically priced Dell Inspiron 545 (it's getting tough to find a regular desktop computer).

Wow, what a difference 7 years make. The price is now 1/4 of the Sony. The hard disk has jumped from 48Gb to 640Gb and internal memory is now 6Gb. It will be my first experience with Windows 7 (64bit). Wish me luck!

The old Sony will be properly recycled.

Why? Why not get a computer from a reputable place that actually will give you service and put everything you need into the computer rather that an off-the-shelf this-is-what-we-got solution? And without all that extra crap software, too.

In case of problems, do you get the M$ OS cd's so you can actually reinstall?

Just askin' :icon_wink:

Why? Why not get a computer from a reputable place that actually will give you service and put everything you need into the computer rather that an off-the-shelf this-is-what-we-got solution? And without all that extra crap software, too.

In case of problems, do you get the M$ OS cd's so you can actually reinstall?

Just askin' :icon_wink:

Yeah, when you buy a Dell, they send everything you need with it. And even if they didn't, you can order it from them over the phone or do so online.

My Sony Multimedia computer is slowly giving up after 7 years of heavy use, so I am replacing it with an economically priced Dell Inspiron 545 (it's getting tough to find a regular desktop computer).

Wow, what a difference 7 years make. The price is now 1/4 of the Sony. The hard disk has jumped from 48Gb to 640Gb and internal memory is now 6Gb. It will be my first experience with Windows 7 (64bit). Wish me luck!

The old Sony will be properly recycled.

vmanes just left a note at:
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/post1127052.html#post1127052
stating that 4Gb of RAM would have cost $7500,000 in 1986.

Yeah, when you buy a Dell, they send everything you need with it. And even if they didn't, you can order it from them over the phone or do so online.

I beg to differ. You get what they want to send you. You do get the option of a few Dell-approved upgrades -- like a couple graphic cards, maybe a couple disk drives -- but very limited real options. And you have no choice on some software like AOL and other trial software cluttering up your drive that no sensible person would want.

And you do NOT get OS install disks. You usually get a directory on the HD (taking up space you should be able to use) which is useless if the disk crashes. But you get charged for the entire OS...

Good points. I will think twice before buying a dell from what I have read. Instead I will go to a local pc store to get it custom made.

I beg to differ. You get what they want to send you. You do get the option of a few Dell-approved upgrades -- like a couple graphic cards, maybe a couple disk drives -- but very limited real options. And you have no choice on some software like AOL and other trial software cluttering up your drive that no sensible person would want.

And you do NOT get OS install disks. You usually get a directory on the HD (taking up space you should be able to use) which is useless if the disk crashes. But you get charged for the entire OS...

That's pretty much the same with all pre-built computers. I bought a HP Pavillion some time ago and it was like that too. As for disks -- they don't give them to you because you can create your own, at least I was (and did) do that. It took three DVDs and will restore the computer back to factory settings.

That's pretty much the same with all pre-built computers. I bought a HP Pavillion some time ago and it was like that too.

This I realize. It's why I didn't recommend Toshiba, Gateway, etc. :)

As for disks -- they don't give them to you because you can create your own, at least I was (and did) do that. It took three DVDs and will restore the computer back to factory settings.

But I for one don't want factory settings. I want a clean install without the factory add-on software that I'll never use (AOL comes to mind).

Not that I won't ever get a pre-built unit. They are cheaper. But I know that if there is something extra I need to do with the computer, it means adding it myself or taking it to the shop to get loaded. If that's even possible.

But I for one don't want factory settings. I want a clean install without the factory add-on software that I'll never use (AOL comes to mind).

Yes!

I got my new Acer a few months back, the first thing I did was put in my Win7 disk, format and clean install.
Then through Audit mode install all the drivers and software I want, update windows(I have done this on my previous PCs, but with Win7 only being out for a couple of months I didn't bother :P) and finally take a disk image.

Didn't even look at what was installed as standard, I booted it to make sure it worked and went from there :D

IMO manufacturers need to stop bundling software onto their PCs and provide a clean version of Windows. I do see where they are coming from with the AV/Firewall pre-installs, but who honestly wants Norton installed on a PC?

I never try to fix the problem, i always use to call a service provider:D

Yea, perhaps the best thing to do when your computer is broken is do a cheap repair then add the computer to your server farm and get a new one that's faster.

I never try to fix the problem, i always use to call a service provider:D

Thanks for sharing.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.