Hi.

I'm a computer science student and I'm ashamed to say it, but my typing on keyboard is slow and ... just wrong. I could obviously use google and try to find information on this. However, I thought that asking this question on daniweb would get me better answers.

So, what do you suggest? I remember seeing a picture where keyboard was split in 10 sections, and buttons in each section were meant to be pressed by the corresponding finger.

I've heard the "Just use chats/forums and you'll learn it by yourself eventually". It did not work. What I have can only be described as a "weird 2-4 finger method".

I want to be able to use the keyboard properly. I need to type quite a bit and I realize that I lose a lot of time because of this.

There are tons and tons of tools meant to help people use keyboard properly, but I want to get suggestions from people who actually use keyboard for work and use it well.

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

install programs such as "typing master".

Or take a typing class.

Every once in a while I go back and take a refresher course - I learned on the purely mechanical typewriters. You pushed a key down and a Rube Goldbergian series led to a piece of lead at the end of a moment-arm hit the paper with some ribbon in the way. The key depressed a full inch.

But I digress

Try this site
- this is where I refresh my skills.

if you can type with 4 fingers you can do more than most people in the industry already :)

Your techniques are looking very effective but i am using typing master for my typing practice. I think its the best software. You should also go for it.

The way I learned to type was by typing up encyclopedias from the library. The fun times. Easiest method is to at first look at the keyboard while typing while all fingers remain on the keys then as you progress you stop looking at the keyboard less and less often. Now I can type without a keyboard. 50 words per minute. And you/reader.

I type with two fingers, and I probably type at well over 60 wpm, (over 70 according to some typing thing someone posted here - but who knows how accurate that was). My advice is just to type however you want and to do so more often. Save your money on the typing class.

I type with two fingers, and I probably type at well over 60 wpm.

two-letter words don't count ;)

I am a touch typist and my typing speed falls between 60-70 wpm with 100% accuracy (no spelling mistakes) which IMO is pretty decent. My speed/accuracy can be attributed to not using chat/l33t speak even when chatting. ;)

As always, practice makes close to perfect. Type as much as you can
and eventually you will get better.

The fastest typist in the world peaks at 225 wpm and a woman averaged 170 wpm over a 50 minute period.

I am a touch typist and my typing speed falls between 60-70 wpm with 100% accuracy (no spelling mistakes) which IMO is pretty decent. My speed/accuracy can be attributed to not using chat/l33t speak even when chatting. ;)

I only use leet speak when talking with leets in Anarchy Online :)

two-letter words don't count ;)

Haha. Fair enough. In High School we were forced to take typing class, which I didn't like, so I only typed there with two fingers whenever the teacher wasn't looking. Their typing assessment programs usually said I typed around 30-40 wpm, but I didn't own my own laptop at the time, and I've improved significantly since that changed. I can only imagine the same will be true for the OP if he continues to practice and forgoes the typing class.

I am facing the same things and dont have solution yet.

... and dont have solution yet.

Easy. If you find typing difficult then what about talking. Get one of those voice recognition kits where you can speak to the computer and the computer will automatically display the words. I'm sure that would be a lot easier than typing.

Eye found my kit on sail. How due ewe like it? Works good, does it knot?

commented: hehe +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.