Do people who use these API's even know how to program? Ive never used XNA before, but it seems like the average Joe can download it, copy past from some tutorials and make some triple A game title. It kinda pisses me off. If anyone here begs to differ, let me know and why I'm wrong. Like I said Ive never used XNA before or anything similar to it. What if you asked an XNA programmer what try throw catch is, would they be able to answer?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

>Ive never used XNA before,
So you have no business making any claims about it, much less the people who use it.

>It kinda pisses me off.
What a stupid post. I can only conclude that you feel threatened by the competition these easy to use APIs bring to the table and took the low road of cutting down others instead of rising to the challenge. Not cool.

A wise man welcomes competition and betters himself, a fool stomps it out so his mediocrity shines.

>

A wise man welcomes competition and betters himself, a fool stomps it out so his mediocrity shines.

You should have told that to Bill Gates & Microsoft :)

>Ive never used XNA before,
So you have no business making any claims about it, much less the people who use it.

>It kinda pisses me off.
What a stupid post. I can only conclude that you feel threatened by the competition these easy to use APIs bring to the table and took the low road of cutting down others instead of rising to the challenge. Not cool.

So instead of giving your opinion, or telling me why I'm wrong, you insult me. Your cool.

Also if you search youtube or google, there are a million tutorials that just show ripping code from other source files. Thats basically any tutorial Ive been able to find. But thats ok, people like you strive on attempting to act superior to others and cannot be swayed other wise.

Do people who use these API's even know how to program?

Am I not good programmer because I use APIs on daily bases? How can you be sure of such thing? I would like to see you keeping in the head even the differences between JSEE and JME String class options/functionalities, not to mention other Java APIs I have to use it on daily bases. There are things you can keep in mind other you better check.

So instead of giving your opinion, or telling me why I'm wrong, you insult me. Your cool.

Also if you search youtube or google, there are a million tutorials that just show ripping code from other source files. Thats basically any tutorial Ive been able to find. But thats ok, people like you strive on attempting to act superior to others and cannot be swayed other wise.

What answer did you expected? Do you thing that we live 20-30 years back when language documentation was fairly short and could fit in the book?

Two things for you:

1. Keep It Pleasant - your posts are getting "hot" in wrong way and flaming other members will not be tolerated
  2. In the future please think twice about what you are to post/say
commented: Good post +0

So opinions aren't allowed on the forums then? I didn't insult anyone, I said what I thought and even asked to be corrected if I was wrong. And I'm not discrediting your programming experience peter, nor am I saying I am great. In fact I am still taking college courses and learning the ropes, my only point is that XNA and others kind've ruin the prestige/pride you should feel when it comes to being a programmer because everyone and their mother can do it now.

flaming other members will not be tolerated

Ya, except I was swinging back

>So instead of giving your opinion, or telling me why I'm wrong, you insult me.
Pot. Kettle. Black. You really don't see the hypocrisy here?

>people like you strive on attempting to act superior
>to others and cannot be swayed other wise.

If I'm attempting to act superior, you're right there beside me.

@clutchkiller, look if you thought twice about what you will write and come up with question like "what do you think in regards of drag&drop development , machine generated coding, in comparison to developer written line by line" you would get more friendly discussion.

If you want we may turn discussion in other direction.

What is your opinion of pair programming? Are you more comfortable to do pair programming with person who has lesser knowledge and you can guide that person. You prefer somebody in your level, or you wish someone more experienced than you?

For me my level or more experienced is preferable. At the moment I still my get caught up with explaining minor details to less experienced and that may lead sometimes to confusion on listener side :D

Do people who use these API's even know how to program? Ive never used XNA before, but it seems like the average Joe can download it, copy past from some tutorials and make some triple A game title. It kinda pisses me off. If anyone here begs to differ, let me know and why I'm wrong. Like I said Ive never used XNA before or anything similar to it. What if you asked an XNA programmer what try throw catch is, would they be able to answer?

Right, and anyone can be a doctor since modern medicine has CAT scans. Maybe not the best example, but the rationale is the same. Good tools enable programmers to be more efficient, but you still need to know how to understand and apply those tools. Better programmers will be more efficient at using the tools correctly. And being able to use one or two APIs does not make someone a good programmer.

Average Joe cannot download XNA, copy/paste from tutorials, and make a "Triple A" game.

Average Joe can download XNA, fool around with it, and go back to playing Call of Duty after he realizes he can't program for squat.

Motivated Novice can download XNA, put together the worst code imaginable, but still feel proud of himself because he took the time to try something new and, daggum it, he had a good time doing it.

Competent Programmer can download XNA and after a deal of time can come up with something kind of cool but probably off the beaten path in terms of what somebody might actually want to play.

Beligerent Student can opt not to download XNA, start a thread on DaniWeb and do a whole lot of whining about something he knows nothing about.

Who woulda thought you were all so sensitive. You guys all attacked me because I don't like XNA, and minus my rep for opinion... Ok then, why the hell hasnt this been locked already. I also love how there is noting but admins and moderators responding to my thread. Big variety of opinions there...

>Who woulda thought you were all so sensitive.
Call me a softy. Since the XNA programmers you're trying to form a hate mob against aren't here to defend themselves, I decided to at least point out your disgusting attitude toward others. :) If you had kept it technical rather than making everything so personal, I probably wouldn't have bothered responding.

>You guys all attacked me because I don't like XNA
No, we attacked you because you're being an elitist snob and bashing people who use convenient APIs (XNA specifically) for no reason other than ignorance and intolerance. I couldn't care less what your opinions on XNA would be if you learned enough about it to actually have a valid opinion[1]. But I think it's extremely bad form to display the programmer's equivalent of racism in such a blatant manner.

I bet you think VB programmers are inferior to you too. :icon_rolleyes:

[1] Note, you quite clearly stated that you've never used XNA before. Thus your opinion is based on incomplete knowledge and/or hearsay.

I bet you think VB programmers are inferior to you too. :icon_rolleyes:

I think it is a VB programmer who doesn't understand XNA and tries to hide that by means of vitriolic comments about how bad it is, giving it an excuse to not actually have to try to come to terms with it ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.