Hello,

Background: I would like to install Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Linux on one machine. The reason is to learn in more detail which OS i want to use for certain tasks. I already know how to partition and install all the OS.

Question:
What order do these have to be installed? What format should be used for each OS? Will I be able to select which OS to boot from at start-up? and if so, can I select which OS will be the default, or is it always the first OS installed?

Thanks in advance,
-Scottiey

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

The easiest way to do it is just install Windows 7 on the machine then install a program called Virtualbox. With this program you can create virtual machines just like a vps but with the gui. So then you could allocate a certain amount of ram for Windows Server 2008 and Linux so they can all run at the same time.

The easiest way to do it is just install Windows 7 on the machine then install a program called Virtualbox. With this program you can create virtual machines just like a vps but with the gui. So then you could allocate a certain amount of ram for Windows Server 2008 and Linux so they can all run at the same time.

I don't want to use virtual machine, Performance is one of the things Ill be testing while finding out which OS works best for my needs. Still just need an answer to the questions above

Steps
1 - Then you could install First install Windows 7.
2 - Then temporarily install ubuntu to partitioned the disk. The ubuntu partition will be the size of the Windows Server partition.
3 - Install on top of Ubuntu Windows Server 2008
4 - Install Ubuntu and it should automatically choose the Windows 7 partition to split. Select the size of the Linux partition
5 - Install your Linux flavor on top of Ubuntu.

I don't know if that will 100% work but theoretically it should.

Steps
1 - Then you could install First install Windows 7.
2 - Then temporarily install ubuntu to partitioned the disk. The ubuntu partition will be the size of the Windows Server partition.
3 - Install on top of Ubuntu Windows Server 2008
4 - Install Ubuntu and it should automatically choose the Windows 7 partition to split. Select the size of the Linux partition
5 - Install your Linux flavor on top of Ubuntu.

I don't know if that will 100% work but theoretically it should.

Thank you for the replies... But from what ive been reading and prior knowledge, you want to install the Oldest OS first, and Linux should go last so it sees all the partitions... So

If I Made 3 partitions, Installed Server (NTFS) on the first, Win 7(NTFS) on the second and Linux on the third, I should be able to select the start-up OS and default would be server... Does this sound right too you, if not Why?

Well using my method the default OS would be the last one installed but if you used a program like Partition Magic then you might be able to change the default order via Partitioner settings.

Hello DevC++4.9.9.2,

Your best bet is a clean new installation to avoid any problems. Regrettably, you will have to re-install most of your programs.

Backup all of your data to an external hard drive or flash drive.

Install clean installation of Windows 7 and then keep the Windows 7 Product key. You can activate it via Phone Activation system and at the same time, the copy on the so called "old computer" *your old windows system is deactivated.
Phone Activation system
================================================
1. Click the Start button, type "SLUI.EXE 4" (without the quotation marks) in the search box, and press “Enter”.
2. Select the neatest location, and click "Next".
3. Please click "Continue" when the User Account Control dialog-box appears.
4. The Windows Activation will generate a toll-free phone number. And the installation ID will be displayed in the following format:
xxxxxx – xxxxxx – xxxxxx – xxxxxx – xxxxxx – xxxxxx – xxxxxx – xxxxxx – xxxxxx
5. Call the number to activate Windows 7.

Let me know how it goes!

John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Team
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

the problem is not multiple os are installed. please actualy read the thread Thanks anyways

Hello DevC++4.9.9.2,

Your best bet is a clean new installation to avoid any problems. Regrettably, you will have to re-install most of your programs.

Backup all of your data to an external hard drive or flash drive.

Install clean installation of Windows 7 and then keep the Windows 7 Product key. You can activate it via Phone Activation system and at the same time, the copy on the so called "old computer" *your old windows system is deactivated.
Phone Activation system
================================================
1. Click the Start button, type "SLUI.EXE 4" (without the quotation marks) in the search box, and press “Enter”.
2. Select the neatest location, and click "Next".
3. Please click "Continue" when the User Account Control dialog-box appears.
4. The Windows Activation will generate a toll-free phone number. And the installation ID will be displayed in the following format:
xxxxxx – xxxxxx – xxxxxx – xxxxxx – xxxxxx – xxxxxx – xxxxxx – xxxxxx – xxxxxx
5. Call the number to activate Windows 7.

Let me know how it goes!

John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Team
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.