Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

had caviar (not that brand though I think), didn't like it.

I know it's a sin to say that, but so be it :)

I've never had cavier before, and with that price don't think I will!

Fact:
Cavier is cut out of a gravid female sturgeon while she still alive and thrown back in to die...
that's usually the case...but they are trying other stuff...
btw its also immature eggs
and yes they usually die...

Another fact: the Caspian sturgeon has seen its population drop by over 90% since the collapse of the USSR ended state control over the catch.
The fish (which is the main source of the best caviar) is now nearly extinct.

Another fact: the Caspian sturgeon has seen its population drop by over 90% since the collapse of the USSR ended state control over the catch.
The fish (which is the main source of the best caviar) is now nearly extinct.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I never liked caviar, never will, and after learning these facts about how it is obtained I am appalled, how far will people go just to show off how rich they are? If I ever go to a party which serves caviar again I'll...complain to the chef. Or something...

Most "caviar" served at parties isn't.
It's other fish eggs instead (or other things altogether flavoured to taste similar).

Of course that's assuming you don't have parties in places with Michelin stars ;)

If I ever go to a party which serves caviar again I'll...complain to the chef. Or something...

okay okay, change 'again' to 'at all'

I was being metaphorical... :-|

"Price: $3,870.45
Sale: $2,764.61 "

That is sure a lot of money for some salty fish eggs.
Never had caviar, but my mother said it is really salty and she had it a lot when she was younger. (No, we are not rich.)
It is a waste of time to eat it if it is salty and nasty.
Salty things are nasty. x....x
It is sad that people actually treat these animals so badly,
Just imagine the fish as people, wouldn't it be called cruel then?
So why can't it be somewhat equal. (Since we have to eat them every now and then.)

I've nothing against killing animals for food, but in case of caviar (and shark fin soup too) what gets to me is the incredible waste.
A fish potentially weighing a hundred kilos or more is killed for a few kilos of caviar or its fins, massive amounts of meat being thrown away.
Even if the meat might not be the most tasty for human consumption (probably the reason it's thrown away) they could at least use it for petfood or bait (for example).

excellent point, jwenting. Waste waste waste. Killing animals for food is human nature, and so long as overfishing doesn't skyrocket I'm perfectly alright with it too. But the waste! OH GOD THE WASTE!

*melts*

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.