Or has France switched to the Euro?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

The French Franc was replaced by the French Mark, which is officially known as the "Euro".
Francs are no longer accepted tender anywhere in the world (except maybe on some of the French colonies in the Pacific, but I know those in the Caribbean have switched to the Euro).
Some banks may still trade Francs for Euros, but if so it's bound to stop soon as the term for banks to turn them in for Euros with the central bank either is set to run out soon or has already run out.

The same is true for all the European Franco/German colonies (officially called Euro countries).

Thanks. I guess I'm going to have to change the way I'm doing things then. Maybe that's a good thing.

Never tell a European that the Euro is a good thing (unless he's the central bank president or a politician).

Do they not see it as a good thing? I've been thinking that Canada, Mexico, and the US, will combine currencies one day to compete with the Euro. I know they pretty much are, BUT they are not completely one currency. Would that be a good thing or a bad thing?

USA currency can merge with Canada...but NOT Mexico..that would be very bad for the economy

I don't see US currency ever merging with Canada's either -- Canada probably doesn't want it because US currency is going the way of Mexico's -- worthless.

Yup pretty much...it's a shame.

Each European country is given one side of the Euro coins to 'play with' sort of like our state quarters.

Do they not see it as a good thing? I've been thinking that Canada, Mexico, and the US, will combine currencies one day to compete with the Euro. I know they pretty much are, BUT they are not completely one currency. Would that be a good thing or a bad thing?

Bad, very bad, Mexico would lose it's competitive advantage over Can/US so industry would probably leave and destroy their economy.
Can would also lose competitive advantage and become entirely a resource exporting country (although it is pretty close to that already) except that now the US dollar is tanking thanks to their sky-high debt which Canada wants to stay away from as much as possible.

No, but the Swiss still use Swiss Franks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.