Hello,
Im a 25 yr old male in the USAF as an Air Traffic Controller. I have an associates in airway science and am currently going to school for a bachelors in Information Technology. I was interested in getting some input on what exactly I need to do ensure getting hired when I finish my enlistment and bachelors and what certification I should pursue to get a high paying job. I've always been interested in computers and think networking is a path I would consider. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Thank you for spending many years in our military -- I for one know what that is like and am able to better appreciate the sacrifices you are making.

As for that "high paying" job --- what do you consider to be high paying? And where? A bachelor's degree will certainly open a lot of doors for you, as for certs they are almost ignored. If you are considering military retirement at 20 years service you might want to consider cross training into one of the computer related fields. That will give you the experience you might need to make yourself even more competitive in the civilian work force.

As for whether you should be a BS in Management Information Systems (MIS) or Computer Science (CS) it depends on how much mathahetics you like. CS is more math and hardware technical oriented than MIS. MIS is more for solving business problems using programming and databases, not as theoritical as CS.

commented: Thanks for posting and the advice!! +0

Thanks for the input! I actually enjoy Air Traffic Control but recently I injured my neck at the gym so I was looking into potential career choices if my case has to go before a medical examination board.

As of right now I am considering the broad degree of "Information Technology." I have noticed the bachelors of MIS and was wondering if that is better accepted in the career over the broad IT bachelors? I am interested in Networking and would consider pursuing a title of Network Adminstrator one day. What branch did you serve in?

Yes Air Traffic is a lucrative career choice, but it is high pace and stressful at times. I am actually alright with the stress factor and consider it somewhat healthy, but right now I just want to ensure future job security and am very interested in computer careers. Any response I appreciate. Thanks Alot!!

As far as retirement in the Air Force is concerned I am still unsure if that is my goal. The benefits of the military lifestyle are great but you are correct about the sacrificies as far as distance from family and constantly changing "home".

And all I meant as far as high paying is anywhere from 60 to 100K salary. I am able to make that kind of earnings in Air Traffic in the civilian world but I would also like career options when I decide on a place to live later on in life

I was in the Air Force 23 years and moved 22 times. A few times it was just from one house to another at the same military installation. If you have more than 4 years service in now it will be to your advantage to go all the way to retirement. I'm now at age 67 reaping the benefits of all those years, especially the medical benefits.

As for the degree, you will want to look closely at the coures offered for each then choose the one that best fits your goals.

As for salary, depends on where you are at. Here in the mid-west the salary for someone with a few years experience is progably $60-100K/year. If you work for Microsoft I'd expect the salary to be double or tripple that.

Thank you for all of your advice and input I really appreciate it! So how did you like a career in programming? I have never programmed any besides visual basic a few years ago and I think I could possibly get the hang of it. I was able to complete a Pre-Cal class at Texas Tech but gave up on my engineering degree due to bad friends and loss of motivation. Now however I'm in the Air Force and am motivated more than ever. Would you recommend a degree in Comp Sci?

Hello,
Im a 25 yr old male in the USAF as an Air Traffic Controller. I have an associates in airway science and am currently going to school for a bachelors in Information Technology. I was interested in getting some input on what exactly I need to do ensure getting hired when I finish my enlistment and bachelors and what certification I should pursue to get a high paying job. I've always been interested in computers and think networking is a path I would consider. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot

You should choose IT for certification.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.